Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for my first SXS machine and really like the 64" wide Maverick x3 XMR but just wondered what its like in the mud since it sits so low. I feel like this would cause your butt to get wet constantly. I don't usually ride in too deep of mud but was just looking for opinions on getting a new X3 XMR with 120 HP or if y'all prefer the higher profile of the discontinued classic Maverick for mud and trail riding? I am pretty familiar with the original Mav but have only seen an x3 in the woods once around me. I know they are great in the dunes but I question if I would like the low profile of the X3 in the woods and mud. Any insight would be great!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mudman I have an XDS with no ground clearance issues. Been in plenty of mud holes and fairly deep water...I guess if you are going to go in deep water your rear ended will get wet no matter what you are driving. The suspension and power make up for any wetness your ars might feel. Get the x3 or you will regret it

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think youll find the ground clearance is just as high or higher. Its just you simply sit lower in the chassis.

·
Registered
107 Posts
THe Original Maverick XMR listed 13" of ground clearance and the 64" X3 XMR is listed at 14" and the 72" at 15" . From what I have read here you may have to do some suspension adjustments to get the full clearance though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the good points. Is the 120 hp version of the x3 really that noticeable over the 98 or so HP that the classic has? The smartlok does look much better too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just took this picture for you to see the true clearance on my 2017 standard xmr and it is factory height with factory tires
Thats a 72" isnt it? Can am lists the 64 at 14" on the website but other specs have been slightly off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just took this picture for you to see the true clearance on my 2017 standard xmr and it is factory height with factory tires
Monster may hams are standard tires?....anyway the x3 even in 120 hp with smart lock will kick ars and you won't stop smiling and regretting your purchase

·
Registered
45 Posts
I owned a 17 XMR and currently have a 18 X3 XMR turbo R. The seat in old Mav sits about 10" higher.You will definitely get wetter in the X3 but is a trade off for the fun you will have in this thing. It is a night and day difference.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Haha dam auto correct...your second pic didn't come through till now Cal..my may hams don't ride very smooth on trails..have to put the bighorns on unless it a mud day..love those mud tires though...big dif

·
Registered
377 Posts
The reason I am staying with the standard is because of the tight trails I ride around my house my friend has both the standard and the x3 and he has more trouble in the tighter places with the x3...I agree that the x3 is a nicer unit then the standard Maverick but it all depends on what type of trails your riding on what unit you get either way I don't think you will be disappointed in either one can am makes a variety of units to suit everyone and they are all quality products get what will suit you the best and enjoy it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The reason I am staying with the standard is because of the tight trails I ride around my house my friend has both the standard and the x3 and he has more trouble in the tighter places with the x3...I agree that the x3 is a nicer unit then the standard Maverick but it all depends on what type of trails your riding on what unit you get either way I don't think you will be disappointed in either one can am makes a variety of units to suit everyone and they are all quality products get what will suit you the best and enjoy it.
I believe thats why he was asking about the 120hp model, its the same width as the original mav

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
X3 is lower. When we go through WV creeks my rear is far lower than in my old Maverick. If I was a mud rider and old Maverick was $5000 less I would be inclined to buy old.

I also don’t like turbos under water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the shorter wheelbase of the classic mav would be nice but I think I would enjoy the extra power a lot more. I do ride some tight trails but we rode with some max’s Who make it just fine, they just have to be more careful. How is the visibility difference between the two?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would love the 172 HP but its 72" Wide which is too wide for most of the trails on the east coast. The 2019 120 HP XMR is 64" wide which is what I am looking for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts