Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have done it that way to it will work as well. We just decided to sleeve the fronts instead of re-welding the bungs. It was a bit easier for us the way we did it. the biggest helpful thing we ever did was weld in cross braces above and below our cuts! This made the reassembly a breeze keeping everything square and in the same place! We just used 4 pieces of 1" square tubing. It wont take much to hold it in places but man did it help! Same concept they use when they remove old car bodies to keep them square!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Gonna do this to my cage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turned out real nice!

So you didn't have to do any "pie" cutting of the top of the cage?

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
I don't have pics yet but I cut my XRS. It turned out nice , I took 4' out of the rear tubes and 2-3/4' out of the front. I had to make sleeves to fit inside my cage where the weld joint was going to be but the tubes almost aligned themselves other than having to spread the front tubes about an inch. Even though it don't sound like it the top dropped fairly level. The tubes in front are not the same angle as the rear so I used a level to determine how far forward the top was going to go forward when 4' was removed from the rear . I transferred that same forward measurement from the rear to the front tubes which is how i got 2-3/4' for the front. I strongly suggest to sleeve your weld joint it will make it easier to weld but more importantly give strength. I would hate to think that the cage fail when you need it most.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't have pics yet but I cut my XRS. It turned out nice , I took 4' out of the rear tubes and 2-3/4' out of the front. I had to make sleeves to fit inside my cage where the weld joint was going to be but the tubes almost aligned themselves other than having to spread the front tubes about an inch. Even though it don't sound like it the top dropped fairly level. The tubes in front are not the same angle as the rear so I used a level to determine how far forward the top was going to go forward when 4' was removed from the rear . I transferred that same forward measurement from the rear to the front tubes which is how i got 2-3/4' for the front. I strongly suggest to sleeve your weld joint it will make it easier to weld but more importantly give strength. I would hate to think that the cage fail when you need it most.
Take some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Im thinking about cutting mine also! I wonder how I could use my roatery laser? Would be a perfect line, but how to go all the way around? Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
I used 2" tube clamps that were laying around as a guide to make straight cuts with a hack saw. I cut 4" out just above the tube my harness bar connects to. The front I cut 2-3/4" out where the windshield strap would cover the weld joint.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I used 2" tube clamps that were laying around as a guide to make straight cuts with a hack saw. I cut 4" out just above the tube my harness bar connects to. The front I cut 2-3/4" out where the windshield strap would cover the weld joint.
Did you sleeve it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you know what size and thickness ended up working?

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
The inside measurement of the factory tube is 1.825". The tubes were inconsistent in size I machined pipe down to fit each tube. I didn't look hard for tube to fit.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts