Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, if i chop my stockcage 4" will i still be able to use my roof i have now thats for a stock cage. i dont know if it would change the geometry that much. aslo anyone done this and any tips? mostly on the front do i take out 4" there too?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Question, if i chop my stockcage 4" will i still be able to use my roof i have now thats for a stock cage. i dont know if it would change the geometry that much. aslo anyone done this and any tips? mostly on the front do i take out 4" there too?
i hope you have some pretty good fab skills and Tools to do it cause my brother lowered an after market Radius cage a few years back and it turned into more work than he wanted. Good Luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
figure a stock cage would be thinner then an after market cage.. easier to work with in theory lol

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
You tube is your friend but most of us who want different cages either start fresh and build a new one or buy and aftermarket one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
But if you can't afford it right now, you bed to understand and use the same premise as chopping a top on a car. Lessening the angle of the "a" pillar will increase the distance to the "b" and "c" pillar. So at the very least buy some cage bungs so you don't have to Jerry rig it when lessening the distances

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good info thanks man.. some are saying just loosening the front bungs will allow enough movement for the back to drop down, guess we will see

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
It's a lot more labor intensive than the rzr cage mod. You'll need to make new cage gussets on the "a" pillar. It'll be worth it when you're done. It's cheaper than $2500 for a new cage hats for sure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Because of the geometry of the stock cage. You need to chop 4" out of all the down tubes. If you are a good welder, cut then grind a 45 angle into both pieces going back together. Fill the void with weld- low heat, then grind smooth. Take your time, it will look fine. Good luck.

Reactions: Razorsedge4

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have cut cages in the past it's not to awful hard just have to make sure everything stays in place while doing so as well as remember that your 4" cuts will measure strictly vertical on an angled piece do not measure with the angle on vertically here is a pic of where we always section out on commanders and mavericks! Make sure all cuts are properly sleeved DO NOT BUTT WELLED CUT PIECES!

Fell free to ask me any questions you may have and good luck! you will enjoy it when it is done!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have cut cages in the past it's not to awful hard just have to make sure everything stays in place while doing so as well as remember that your 4" cuts will measure strictly vertical on an angled piece do not measure with the angle on vertically here is a pic of where we always section out on commanders and mavericks! Make sure all cuts are properly sleeved DO NOT BUTT WELLED CUT PIECES!

Fell free to ask me any questions you may have and good luck! you will enjoy it when it is done!
good info....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awesome info.. i was talkin w someone else who has done it an the cut in a diff spot then where hicklin cut hmm i wonder which out be easier.. ill post a pic in a sec.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
How about the max cage? :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Search for "New race build! Lighter = faster" I think he had some info on chopping his cage in there, I'm gonna try to chop mine soon

1 - 20 of 46 Posts