Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
The XRC is one I’ve definitely failed to look at closer, at least the turbo rr version. I would like to be in the turbo r 165+hp category at the very least, so I think the 64” 120hp xrc may not be as much of a contender as the xds options (but maybe I shouldn’t discount it yet).
Another thing to consider and that I’d like to hear opinions on is with this being our first car over the $15k range, I’ve having a hard time convincing the wife of going beyond an msrp of $25k. I’m just trying to reason with her here because she already only wants the commander xt and I’m pushing hard for the x3 and think she’s now on board with that.
With that said, trying to stay close to $25k, is it better to go for the higher trim greater power of something like the xds turbo rr which would just make the cut, or maybe something like the xrs turbo r? I know comparing something like riding style/width, to power level/motor isn’t exactly apples to apples but at the end of the day price range has to be met (or at least close).
I appreciate the input from you guys with the experience/machines. Thanks
you can add just a tune for around $600 to the 120hp X RC and be at 164hp. or add intercooler and a couple other things and be well over the 165hp category your after.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The tuning and performance parts aren’t necessarily the big concern for me. It’s more about the suspension and geometry that I would be less likely to alter. Whether it’s upgrading the shocks of a base model or an XDS model or adding a wider stance to the XDS. I don’t necessarily need the full 195 hp but I would sure use it and like to have it but the main reason I look at those premium models is the suspension that comes with it and I’m not sure if the newer 2021 and what will be coming out for 2022 base models will have certain parts like the fuel pump that would be required to upgrade the base models to get to certain hp. That would be a consideration.
Looking for some input on the suspension differences between the base models and the premium models and XDS versus XRS. Both how they compare on a spec sheet on paper as well as things you would notice on the trails riding them. From what I see, the 2021 RR models both have the same shocks up front, the 2.5 piggyback RC2s where the XRC and XRS have the larger 3.0 RC2 remote resi shocks out back where the XDS RR still has the 2.5 RC2s. And all lesser models having the QS3s. I was under the impression that the XDS also had the QS3 shocks even on the RR model so I’m wondering how big of a difference there really is between the two premium models with the rear shocks and of course the wider stance being the major difference. Also how do the lower QS3 fox shocks compared to the premium shocks found on other manufacturer machines such as the fox on the yxz and krx or the rzr’s but especially to the popular walker evans on the rzrs.

Without a shortage this might easily be determined by a simple couple test drives at a dealer and with that not an option im flooding you guys with questions. Thanks again for the help. Enjoy learning more about these machines regardless of which one I end up with

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve seen this posted once or twice on here but the posted are dated and get off topic quick, so hoping to get a discussion going about the current model machines and discuss the pros and cons and desired environments/terrain for both the XRS and the XDS cars.
I live in northern lower Michigan and do most riding in this area as well as frequent trips to the Upper Peninsula/Drummond Island as well as the Silver Lake dunes. Most trails in this area that I know of are two track Jeep width trails for the most part. Given that getting a new car in the next 6-10 months would provide us (2 seat car) with a more capable machine, we’d like to plan 2-3 trips a year that would get us out of state to places like TN, KY, WV etc., SW to places in Arizona and also up to CO, WY and Montana…and any other places that sound appealing. Looking for a good all around car.
I hear a lot of people saying they prefer the XDS and the 64” width saying it’s a faster and more nibble car for trails where the XRS is more of a dune car. That’s definitely the majority of what I hear but I see the opposite. If a dealer around here has an X3 on the lot or even out back, chances are its an XRS or a Turbo S. Same thing with seeing them on the trails and at gas stations etc., for sale on FB marketplace, pretty much populated by the wider machines.
I do agree that the XRS is the better looking car and it’s been hard to get the idea out of my head that it is the most capable machine and that I’d be settling for the XDS, but without owning either I’m trying to not be subject to these thoughts. I’d most likely be looking at a new machine unless the cost of newer used machines become reasonable in which case I’d shoot for a 2020+.
Now that you all know my life story LOL, happy to hear opinions and pros and cons to the two machines and what to consider. Thanks.
xRS all around worth it. 72" makes it not seem so squirrly as 64". also the better shox on the RS make a world of difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
xRS all around worth it. 72" makes it not seem so squirrly as 64". also the better shox on the RS make a world of difference.
I assume you’re referring to the RC2’s on the XRS rr. XDS rr has the RC2’s as well, just smaller version in the rear without the remote reservoirs. Less travel but I’d assume the quality is still there over the QS3’s. People say the XRS RC2s take some playing around with to set up. Same for the XDS? What differences are noticeable between these?

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I bought my buggy xmr turbo r 72” with the base shocks. I thought they would be fine. Mine is not a mud buggy I hate mud but it was the cheapest smart lock I could buy at the time. I went about a year of beating my brains out keeping up with xrs and xrc. I tried shock therapy springs for the qs3 shocks . Still sucked . I finally bought a brand new set of 2020 xrc shocks and put eibach springs on and now I’m satisfied. Don’t do what I did and have buyer remorse . I should have spend the extra money and bought a buggy with the good shocks in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I bought my buggy xmr turbo r 72” with the base shocks. I thought they would be fine. Mine is not a mud buggy I hate mud but it was the cheapest smart lock I could buy at the time. I went about a year of beating my brains out keeping up with xrs and xrc. I tried shock therapy springs for the qs3 shocks . Still sucked . I finally bought a brand new set of 2020 xrc shocks and put eibach springs on and now I’m satisfied. Don’t do what I did and have buyer remorse . I should have spend the extra money and bought a buggy with the good shocks in the first place.

That was some helpful insight and I can see myself being in the same situation if I didn’t make the right decision from the start. Just out of curiosity, what did the RC2 shocks cost you to replace the qs3s?

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
That was some helpful insight and I can see myself being in the same situation if I didn’t make the right decision from the start. Just out of curiosity, what did the RC2 shocks cost you to replace the qs3s?
I gave 2k$ for shocks which were brand new and another 730$ for eibach springs.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts