Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen this posted once or twice on here but the posted are dated and get off topic quick, so hoping to get a discussion going about the current model machines and discuss the pros and cons and desired environments/terrain for both the XRS and the XDS cars.
I live in northern lower Michigan and do most riding in this area as well as frequent trips to the Upper Peninsula/Drummond Island as well as the Silver Lake dunes. Most trails in this area that I know of are two track Jeep width trails for the most part. Given that getting a new car in the next 6-10 months would provide us (2 seat car) with a more capable machine, we’d like to plan 2-3 trips a year that would get us out of state to places like TN, KY, WV etc., SW to places in Arizona and also up to CO, WY and Montana…and any other places that sound appealing. Looking for a good all around car.
I hear a lot of people saying they prefer the XDS and the 64” width saying it’s a faster and more nibble car for trails where the XRS is more of a dune car. That’s definitely the majority of what I hear but I see the opposite. If a dealer around here has an X3 on the lot or even out back, chances are its an XRS or a Turbo S. Same thing with seeing them on the trails and at gas stations etc., for sale on FB marketplace, pretty much populated by the wider machines.
I do agree that the XRS is the better looking car and it’s been hard to get the idea out of my head that it is the most capable machine and that I’d be settling for the XDS, but without owning either I’m trying to not be subject to these thoughts. I’d most likely be looking at a new machine unless the cost of newer used machines become reasonable in which case I’d shoot for a 2020+.
Now that you all know my life story LOL, happy to hear opinions and pros and cons to the two machines and what to consider. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
608 Posts
I don't see how your question is any different than the other countless other XRS vs XDS threads. There's even Drummond Island videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Welcome
From wherever our truck parks our home for the night.
Chloride AZ

The easy answer is the XRS.
We've the XRC and so far we fit anywhere we want to go.
Better shocks/suspension

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had a 2021 XDS for a few months, did a few trails, decided I wanted an XRC. Traded it in for one and love it.

That said, I ride with a fine gentleman I met here, sometimes on dirt roads, sometimes on wide, well groomed snowmobile trails, and most recently on tight trails where we had to cut apart downed trees so we could go by.

He has a new XDS, same as I had. While we both think mine looks cooler and nicer with the wider stance, and I personally love the look of the rear shock reservoirs on the cage, thus far, at least, at no point have I been able to crawl or go up anything he hasn't. In fact, sometimes it seems as if my 32" Liberty spin more and have less grip than his stock 30s.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have xds 64 for 3 1/2 years now and ride in west va. if buying a new car I’d go with a 72”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The XRC is one I’ve definitely failed to look at closer, at least the turbo rr version. I would like to be in the turbo r 165+hp category at the very least, so I think the 64” 120hp xrc may not be as much of a contender as the xds options (but maybe I shouldn’t discount it yet).
Another thing to consider and that I’d like to hear opinions on is with this being our first car over the $15k range, I’ve having a hard time convincing the wife of going beyond an msrp of $25k. I’m just trying to reason with her here because she already only wants the commander xt and I’m pushing hard for the x3 and think she’s now on board with that.
With that said, trying to stay close to $25k, is it better to go for the higher trim greater power of something like the xds turbo rr which would just make the cut, or maybe something like the xrs turbo r? I know comparing something like riding style/width, to power level/motor isn’t exactly apples to apples but at the end of the day price range has to be met (or at least close).
I appreciate the input from you guys with the experience/machines. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,740 Posts
The XRC is one I’ve definitely failed to look at closer, at least the turbo rr version. I would like to be in the turbo r 165+hp category at the very least, so I think the 64” 120hp xrc may not be as much of a contender as the xds options (but maybe I shouldn’t discount it yet).
Another thing to consider and that I’d like to hear opinions on is with this being our first car over the $15k range, I’ve having a hard time convincing the wife of going beyond an msrp of $25k. I’m just trying to reason with her here because she already only wants the commander xt and I’m pushing hard for the x3 and think she’s now on board with that.
With that said, trying to stay close to $25k, is it better to go for the higher trim greater power of something like the xds turbo rr which would just make the cut, or maybe something like the xrs turbo r? I know comparing something like riding style/width, to power level/motor isn’t exactly apples to apples but at the end of the day price range has to be met (or at least close).
The reasoning is that with the XRS / XRC 72" model is you get the width, and the much better suspension. Those 2 things make the car handle / drive better. For the suspension alone it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I had a 2021 XDS for a few months, did a few trails, decided I wanted an XRC. Traded it in for one and love it.

That said, I ride with a fine gentleman I met here, sometimes on dirt roads, sometimes on wide, well groomed snowmobile trails, and most recently on tight trails where we had to cut apart downed trees so we could go by.

He has a new XDS, same as I had. While we both think mine looks cooler and nicer with the wider stance, and I personally love the look of the rear shock reservoirs on the cage, thus far, at least, at no point have I been able to crawl or go up anything he hasn't. In fact, sometimes it seems as if my 32" Liberty spin more and have less grip than his stock 30s.
Because your tires suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO, it's pretty simple, the XRS. Now finding one is another story....
Yeah I've never purchased a new machine but swung into a dealer this spring to see whats knew and found out about the back up and now we're looking and researching to figure out what we want and how early we have to order it to have it by next early spring. Not being able to see much or test drive anything sucks but I keep leaning towards the X3 since I've always preferred high performance with anything before side by sides such as snowmobiles, dirtbikes etc.

And just like I'm always good at doing, I keep preferring the most expensive units. I would really prefer the upgrades given to the RR and now I'm leaning more towards the XRS or the Rc RR. To get into one of those I might just have to look hard for a used unit to pop up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Say you had a price cap of $25k for a new or used unit and then could later add accessories as you could justify them. How would that affect choice of DS vs RS and then R vs RR?
Unless a good price on a used unit comes along, for new units you'd most likely be comparing an XDS RR to a XRS R, at least here in MI where the MSRP on Can Am's site is what you pay. (Not sure if anywhere else is seeing better prices)

·
Registered
209 Posts
The group,we ride with is very diverse in machines on fast FRS roads to some of the nutest technical trails you can do in these machines.I have a 72“ RC and and the 72“ does better in some spots and worse in others,Where the 64 “ works just as well,but differently.If your not duning it, Either work really well.Simply put these machines kick ass at everything,but they all do it differentl. I would get the 72” machine again in a heart beat.

·
Registered
2020 Can-am maverick x3 DS
20 Posts
If you follow guys like ' Blown Budget Offroad ' on YouTube you will see each has conditions when the width helps and times when it hurts, same applies to wheel base. So there's no absolute definitive answer outside the established preferences such as if you primarily ride dunes its 72in model

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you follow guys like ' Blown Budget Offroad ' on YouTube you will see each has conditions when the width helps and times when it hurts, same applies to wheel base. So there's no absolute definitive answer outside the established preferences such as if you primarily ride dunes its 72in model
Yep, pretty “spicy” channel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I went from a Sport to an X3 and if I can say anything. Just get an X3 RS.

It's seriously not economical to upgrade these machines after the fact for things like track width, suspension and accessories.

If you can swing it just get the best care you can afford. Most people go with an XRC RR because it has most of the crap people want to throw on a machine at a discount if you were to build it after the fact.

The commander is a Sport with a dump box. I lived my sport. It had great quality the X3 lacks. Like seating position the doors are really good, more affordable. But at the end of the day I would spend the money the X3. You'll have the option to upgrade everything on it front to back.

One thing I will say. Riding my sport with my buddy who has an XRC RR. It's not like I couldn't go anywhere he did. In fact I got stuck less because I was lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I live in Michigan too. Grand haven to be exact. Get the XRS. I haven't had one issue with my max xrs. I think you'll regret it if you don't.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts