Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine wanders a little in Glamis. It might be partly the Bighorn's fault. Here's how to check your rear toe in. Especially if it pulls to the side under power. I checked mine and it was off. I then used a pipe as a straight edge to see which side was off. Hold the straight edge against the side of the wheel, and then measure the gap between it and the body panel behind the front wheel. The pass side had I think 3/4" more gap then the drivers. I then put the tape measure between the inside of the rear tires to check toe. It had a 1/4 inch toe out. I set it at an 1/8inch or 1/4inch toe in, using the straight edge to keep it even side to side. It handles much better now.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Also can take chrome spray paint and lightly paint the center of the tires, then scribe a line all the way around each one. Measure front then back, make adjustment, divide by half.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My Mav with paddles drove like it was on rails in the dunes ! Stock 27" dirt tires make the sand ride loose and wonder

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine wanders a little in Glamis. It might be partly the Bighorn's fault. Here's how to check your rear toe in. Especially if it pulls to the side under power. I checked mine and it was off. I then used a pipe as a straight edge to see which side was off. Hold the straight edge against the side of the wheel, and then measure the gap between it and the body panel behind the front wheel. The pass side had I think 3/4" more gap then the drivers. I then put the tape measure between the inside of the rear tires to check toe. It had a 1/4 inch toe out. I set it at an 1/8inch or 1/4inch toe in, using the straight edge to keep it even side to side. It handles much better now.
Thanks Mate! So if I understand you correctly, I should adjust my rear wheels to 1/4" toe in.
What about the front wheels, should they be straight or toe out to improve the high speed handling on loose sand? They appear to be toe out at the moment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
AReed, do you set your front toe at ride height (compress the front and let it rise on it's own) or with weight off the front suspension (like it would sit when you are on the gas)?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Are we talkin about front or back ? What are you supposed to set back at? And Im lost as to where and how yall are measuring and the points... I would assume that one would have to maesure same height on the tire front and back and dead center...

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
AReed, do you set your front toe at ride height (compress the front and let it rise on it's own) or with weight off the front suspension (like it would sit when you are on the gas)?
Vehicle weight with no driver or passenger, once I get out I push it back and forth a couple feet and pull tape

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I measure inside to inside at the front and rear of the tire. It would probably be more accurate if you measured off of the center of the outside diameter of the tire though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I just measured mine...Center Line to Center Line of Stock Tires @ 13" off ground 54" front and back of rear tires.....Straight... What would toe in our out do for the rear?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me put it this way, I have an HPI Baja 1/5 scale RC car. 0° tow in on the rear gives it the highest TopSpeed, but it's a little bit Squirrley. 2° of tow in on the rear gives it a little less TopSpeed, but more straight-line stability. And 4° of tow in on the rear gives it very good straight-line stability. I don't know how degrees translates into inches, but basically the more tow in you have on the rear, the better high-speed straight-line stability. Or less dartyness.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Also if I remember correct u always want the front a hair in when doing a alignment

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good stuff Glamis but, My only word of caution would be measuring off of the factory (or any) plastics. They have lots of variables. There is a guy in Phoenix, Scott at Network Alignment off of Cave Creek, that aligned my old RZR and I swear it gained me 5 mph top speed an made it more stable. Just sayin shop that can do a 4 wheel alignment is worth the $50. Scott is a duner from way back & knows his chit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glamisfan, and anyone else, please post some pic's showing us how you measure the toe.

Is there any engineers here who can explain how we can convert degrees (used in 1/8th scale off road buggy racing) to inches. Or should we still just use degrees?

The same basics should apply as to our 1/8th nitro buggies. Wish I had the same setup tools in full size.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good stuff Glamis but, My only word of caution would be measuring off of the factory (or any) plastics. They have lots of variables. There is a guy in Phoenix, Scott at Network Alignment off of Cave Creek, that aligned my old RZR and I swear it gained me 5 mph top speed an made it more stable. Just sayin shop that can do a 4 wheel alignment is worth the $50. Scott is a duner from way back & knows his chit.
I have used Network alignment on all of my offroad vehicles. All of my cars handle like a dream after that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glamisfan, is that 1/8"toe in on the rear on each side, or1/8" for the 2 wheels combined?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts