Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning to take the new Sport to an ATV park tomorrow, what are some things to watch out for and what items do you recommend a first timer take? Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
390 Posts
resist the urge to do donuts.

as far as what to take, it is too opened ended as a question, and 2 you will get replies with everything and the kitchen sink.

what to take depends on lots of factors. terrain, riding style, season / weather, riding alone or group, distance expected to travel. i know guys that ride pretty hard and carry axles, ball joints, etc. west coast guys will put 200 miles on a run, so fuel and half the garage. maybe even a chase vehicle. i have ridden at a park and carried snacks. so you need to think about what COULD happen and how you will fix it. if you are going to a populated park with friends and will only be a couple miles from the truck, maybe not much. if you are going alone and could end up miles from the truck, then a different load plan.

at a min i would carry a spare belt and a way to fix a flat if not a spare tire.

start a list, modify it each time you ride.

·
Registered
2019 Maverick sport xmr
31 Posts
We are planning to take the new Sport to an ATV park tomorrow, what are some things to watch out for and what items do you recommend a first timer take? Thanks for any and all advice!
I carry plugs, rubber cement, plug installer. Assortment of tools. Like pliers, screwdrivers and sockets. Tire pump, slime, brake fluid, oil, tree saver, snatch block, valve stems, extra winch rope, booster pack, toilet paper, gloves, bungees, tow strap, rain gear, jack and extra sweatshirts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
youtube utv fails. LOTS and LOTS of upside down units b/c of people trying to do donuts. also search the forums (others as well as this one), lots of posts that start with....i was trying to do a donut.....i let my friend drive...and then they tell about the wreck.

compared to a drift car, they are top heavy. get her side ways and let the tires get a good bite and over you will go. from your avatar, looks like you have an xmr. i have the same machine, donuts with kryptids, you better be in the right conditions and know what you are doing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting about donuts, the tires do bite VERY well. I bet you could do them on snow covered pavement but on dirt/sand it just drives in a circle increasingly fast, no wonder people tip them over.

We took a cooler with some drinks and made sure my phone was charged so we could GPS our way back, it worked out great. Stayed away from the super deep looking stuff but still got a feel for the machine, I have no idea how silly the terrain would have to be to get this thing stuck, I'd imagine you'd have to actually try to bury it. Wish I had enough time to put the back windshield on as it was a little chilly with only the front but we managed.

So far I'm in love with the machine, its hard to describe how capable it is. I need to get a spare belt still.

·
Registered
390 Posts
anything deeper than 2 ft i avoid like crazy. i am not a fan of mud, but the wife loves to try and completely empty a puddle. i bought my machine, brought it home and swapped out the tires for terrrabites. the cyrptids have like 3 miles on them. we came from quads and bikes, this is our first sxs. i am blown away by what they can do.

i just put on a front and rear windshield this weekend. crazy how much wind it takes off of you. since i live in texas, we generally ride warm to HOT temps. i have always expressed a deep hatred for full front windshields. we ride with helmets (for safety and coms) and goggles, so i never felt the need. but the wife thinks anything below 60 degrees is cold and i am tired of waiting to ride. i went cheap as i thought i would only use them a couple times a year, but it sure seems nice. did a plastic front and the canvas / plastic rear from rmatv. so far very impressed.

since yours came with a winch, get yourself a winch accessory bag together. our very first ride out we used our, and half the accessories we had. not for us, but to help out another rider that rolled off the trail. no injuries, but took a couple hours to get the rig back on the trial. i had everything but snatch blocks, and really wished i had them. went home and bought 3. i have 3 tree stapes (or tow straps) 4 shackles, some extra line, etc. i have enough i can winch myself backwards if i had to, or pull in any direction.

unfortunately we only have 1 friend that rides, so we end up riding solo quite a bit. my absolute last resort, but if it is between staying home or riding, well i'll go riding. when solo we just ride very safe and smart so we don't get in a bad situation while on our own. also carry a spot gps.

Reactions: 10mm_
1 - 10 of 10 Posts