Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Checking oil levels, cold and warm

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Greystone 
#1 ·
What are you getting for cold engine oil checks, like overnight sitting. Should be right about full mark?

How about warmed up and sitting for say 15-30min? maybe 3/4 mark?

Just curious here. The manual states cold engine check but that means a solid night after changing oil/filter.

#4 ·
Cold engine, like day before a planned ride, right at full every time.

#6 ·
I noticed this from back in the 2011 Commander days to the Xds today..... I was getting over-full readings when I knew it was OK.

What I was doing wrong to get the erroneous readings was inserting stick slightly crooked and it touches the case sidewall (oil had been throw onto it from running) and would show way too full. If I was real careful and inserted stick absolutely straight in, I got the correct reading, even on a hot engine.

So you young grasshoppas make sure you insert your stick straight in and try not to rub any sidewalls if that engines had been running earlier....good luck.........LMAO! [emoji160]

#8 ·
OK, so full cold engine triple check Right at full mark. Start let run for 1 min, turn off and let sit for 1 min and get 1/3rd mark. Let sit for few min and get 1/2 stick. 15min, 2/3rd stick.

Again, just curious what others are actually getting. The manual is specific on cold check and between full and low. Stick screwed in.

#10 ·
Mine on the 1000R Maverick Max will say read about almost to the middle of the checkered marks from half way to full if it's cool and sitting overnight.
Then start it and let it warm up at least until the radiator fan turns on once.
Shut it off and let it all drain back into the case.
Maybe 10 minutes or so it will read full on the stick because the oil is hot and expanded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.