Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you getting for cold engine oil checks, like overnight sitting. Should be right about full mark?

How about warmed up and sitting for say 15-30min? maybe 3/4 mark?

Just curious here. The manual states cold engine check but that means a solid night after changing oil/filter.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Cold engine, like day before a planned ride, right at full every time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If I let mine sit for a day and pull the stick out it will read full but if I reinsert it after taking it out it shows a good bit over full.

·
Administrator
2,400 Posts
If I let mine sit for a day and pull the stick out it will read full but if I reinsert it after taking it out it shows a good bit over full.
I noticed this from back in the 2011 Commander days to the Xds today..... I was getting over-full readings when I knew it was OK.

What I was doing wrong to get the erroneous readings was inserting stick slightly crooked and it touches the case sidewall (oil had been throw onto it from running) and would show way too full. If I was real careful and inserted stick absolutely straight in, I got the correct reading, even on a hot engine.

So you young grasshoppas make sure you insert your stick straight in and try not to rub any sidewalls if that engines had been running earlier....good luck.........LMAO!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I noticed this from back in the 2011 Commander days to the Xds today..... I was getting over-full readings when I knew it was OK.

What I was doing wrong to get the erroneous readings was inserting stick slightly crooked and it touches the case sidewall (oil had been throw onto it from running) and would show way too full. If I was real careful and inserted stick absolutely straight in, I got the correct reading, even on a hot engine.

So you young grasshoppas make sure you insert your stick straight in and try not to rub any sidewalls if that engines had been running earlier....good luck.........LMAO!
... and the manual says to thread it in prior to reading it. I always get mixed up with different toys which ones require the dipstick threaded in vs not in so on the Maverick dipstick I used a sharpie to write 'IN' on it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so full cold engine triple check Right at full mark. Start let run for 1 min, turn off and let sit for 1 min and get 1/3rd mark. Let sit for few min and get 1/2 stick. 15min, 2/3rd stick.

Again, just curious what others are actually getting. The manual is specific on cold check and between full and low. Stick screwed in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts