Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got around to checking my nitrogen pressure inmy XRS shocks.

first i ordered this kit Polaris RZR Shock Nitrogen Filler Adapter Motion Pro Style Needle O8 0075 | eBay

then i adapted it to my shock filling setup.

basically its a real needle in a 1/4" brass compression x 1/8" pipe thread adapter with a couple of rubber washers.

next i removed the white plastic plug that is inside the allen screw in the end of the piggy back resivoirs. Then i carefully stuck the needle in the center of the allen bolt where there is a small hole that leads to the rubber plug. I only had to push the needle in about 1/2" before my gauge read any preessure.

I was shocked to find only 60psi in all 4 shocks. I filled up each shock to 160psi(with eshocks fully extended), when you reemove the needle you loose 10psi due to the rubber plug "healing" itself. So i should have a solid 150psi in each shock now.

I plan on taking my nitrogen tank and needle to Glamis next week just to be able to add or subtract nitrogen if needed.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
how much is supposed to be in them?

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Mega you'll be fine with 150. Nitrogen is to prevent cavitation, not really for tuning purposes unless you can get the shocks to fade. It will make them a fuzz stiffer though, you'll be able to tell at low speeds but once you get moving you wont be able to tell so much. We run up to 250-300 in some coilovers. Fox even puts 50psi in the Gold Series shocks. I run about 150 in mine but my tune is a lot different and you can't feel the additional stiffness due to the higher nitrogen pressure

Glamis the tune in these shocks really isn't that bad, you just need to break down how they're setup. Like I said there are little tweaks that can make them awesome.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Nitrogen in the bike was for bottom out resistance. 6'5 230 is a lot of man bombing down a mountain, I needed a little extra help...lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I had 150 in my downhill bike lol.
Ummm....I guess you can figure out how much I weigh as my Fox Float air shock had 280lbs of air to get the correct sag......I know it is a different setup than a coil over....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mega you'll be fine with 150. Nitrogen is to prevent cavitation, not really for tuning purposes unless you can get the shocks to fade. It will make them a fuzz stiffer though, you'll be able to tell at low speeds but once you get moving you wont be able to tell so much. We run up to 250-300 in some coilovers. Fox even puts 50psi in the Gold Series shocks. I run about 150 in mine but my tune is a lot different and you can't feel the additional stiffness due to the higher nitrogen pressure

Glamis the tune in these shocks really isn't that bad, you just need to break down how they're setup. Like I said there are little tweaks that can make them awesome.
Alex, have you been inside a set of their Gold Series shocks yet?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yea, i hear ya....here is my Specialized Demo 8 II

IMG_0168.jpg

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Couldn't afford the $5K for a new one but built this one for around $1200......bullet proof bike to say the least. The Giant Glory is a damn good bike as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts