Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was replacing my rear axles today and discovered both my trailing arms have significant cracks. My X3 does have just under 7900 miles.

Time for some new trailing arms.

By the way my CVs and axles grease still looked good

CV from the axle that did not want to come out easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GloverXRS

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also looks like my Assault toe link brackets are doing as intended. Holes still look good with well over 7500 miles with the brackets

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good stuff to regularly inspect and get to know your machine BEFORE things become an issue. Good catch, now throw a couple grand at it and fix the issue. Lol
It was much cheaper when I did a lot less miles. My wife hates me right now. 4 new axles and now trailing arms.

Super Atv trailing arms are ordered.

By the way the wheel bearings still look good.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reason for changing axles?
I have close to 7900 miles on my car. Figured it was time to replace them. Looking at the CV and grease they had plenty more miles left in them.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I'll be interested in the install of those new arms . I read some grinding had to be done on the rear hub. Just not sure if it was on a 72 " car . They look good .

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be interested in the install of those new arms . I read some grinding had to be done on the rear hub. Just not sure if it was on a 72 " car . They look good .
I will let you know.

Reactions: Extrememc

·
Registered
492 Posts
8,000 miles was where the rebuilding started on my ‘17 - didn’t know it at the time, but part-by-part, it got rebuilt, starting at that point.

It was trouble-free up TO about 8,000, then...

I wonder if it would’ve been a little more cost effective and less hassles to just trade machines every 8,000 miles or so?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I wonder if it would’ve been a little more cost effective and less hassles to just trade machines every 8,000 miles or so?
YES! Especially for you! 🤣

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Lemme know how you like those SUTV arms. I think they're about 800 bucks? Seems like a good option for those who don't want to spend over 2 grand on chromoly tig welded arms.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
8,000 miles was where the rebuilding started on my ‘17 - didn’t know it at the time, but part-by-part, it got rebuilt, starting at that point.

It was trouble-free up TO about 8,000, then...

I am thinking you are right if these did not cost 30k. Lol

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lemme know how you like those SUTV arms. I think they're about 800 bucks? Seems like a good option for those who don't want to spend over 2 grand on chromoly tig welded arms.
They look decent and for the price I figured why not give them a try.

I will let you know.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took apart the front end today to replace the axles and a-arm bushings. Stock bushing were still in decent shape. Have a torn lower ball joint boot and will be replacing all the ball joints.

Impressed how well the HMF gusset kit has held up. All the bolt holes are the same crappy tolerances that came with the car. Lol!!!

The lower stock arms with the extreme taco kit still holding up.

I feel like I am prepping for a race, but unfortunately I don’t race.

Stupid taptalk won’t let me load photos!!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check your trailing arm mounts on the frame, I’ve heard they can crack, as well as the rear upper shock mounts if you have a stock cage.

I recently read on a trip from Calico to Primm one guy had his trailing arm rip off from the mount.

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check your trailing arm mounts on the frame, I’ve heard they can crack, as well as the rear upper shock mounts if you have a stock cage.

I recently read on a trip from Calico to Primm one guy had his trailing arm rip off from the mount.
I added the Weller Racing upper rear shock billet brace. I looked at the trailing arm tabs and the looked okay. I am going to add the zbroz trailing arm brace.

Reactions: DLC and GloverXRS

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts

I've never seen a cage that doesnt leave that upper rear shock mount in place.

I know mine had hairline cracks there and I welded in a couple of gussets there. I just rattle canned the area black.

Tim

1 - 20 of 61 Posts