Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing and being an owner of a Truck camper I know most of the things to look for when buying used.
IE: Besides the obvious.... dry rot, electrical, appliances, batteries, suspension A/C etc.

I may be overlooking some important things so I'm building a checklist and appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
9,351 Posts
Before anything, check tires and wheel bearings. Probably both shot. Not many owners tend to them, IMO. If you're looking at an old Warrior, make sure the walls aren't delaminating. You think your X3 has problems, any Warrior from 05 and up can have this. It hit or miss too. Check the roofs, nobody checks them. Hours on the generator. Stuff like that.

What trailer make you looking at?

·
Premium Member
9,351 Posts
Looks clean enough. 40'? Triple axle, yikes! I just paid over $600 for 4 trailer tires, LOL! Make sure that at a minimum, the tires are E rated, and check the date code. I just bought G rated, so I'm hoping they last more than 3 seasons. I'm guessing this is a private sale, doesn't look like a lot, well the last pic doesn't, the first couple do?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks clean enough. 40'? Triple axle, yikes! I just paid over $600 for 4 trailer tires, LOL! Make sure that at a minimum, the tires are E rated, and check the date code. I just bought G rated, so I'm hoping they last more than 3 seasons. I'm guessing this is a private sale, doesn't look like a lot?
Yup 40'
The one photo is a stock photo with the truck in the background. It's through a fairly large dealer.
Yes I always check roofs, floors, walls, gen, A/C, appliances..

·
Premium Member
9,351 Posts
Yup 40'
The one photo is a stock photo with the truck in the background. It's through a fairly large dealer.
Yes I always check roofs, floors, walls, gen, A/C, appliances..
Biggest thing is tires. Check the date code on them. If they are a '17 something, I would be very leery. You're easily looking at $1K, if not more for good rubber, IMO. Stay away from Goodyear tires also, they suck, and always blow out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have heard of people hiring certified RV inspectors, but the dealer would have to be OK with it, I guess.

I have learned these things in my RV experience: All RV mfrs---regardless of how expensive and exclusive they are---build crap, have shoddy workmanship, have zero QC, buy most of their stuff out of a Lippert Components(the JC Whitney OEM supplier of RV parts)catalog, expect the dealers to fix all of it, defer/deflect as much warranty onto suppliers(read Lippert)as possible, they hose their own dealers, have pitiful after sale support, and could not give a rat's ass about the owner. Don't believe the marketing hype about how they are "different". Forest River, Thor, Rev Goup, and Winnebago have swallowed up almost all the RV brands, and account for the vast majority of RV production, mostly out of Elkhart. All those so-called brands are decals only.

Check the fifth wheel pin box frame area for signs of excessive movement/flexing, that roof could be old enough to give trouble, so look for open seams and gaps topside, and discoloration, swelling, deformation inside. Run all the slides in and out a few times, look at the seals, and make sure they are flush when closed. Check the frame for cracks, especially where the suspension pickup points are. Check the springs, shackles, and pivots. As Hollywood mentioned, wheel bearings, and make sure tires are visibly OK, and have DOT date codes that are fresh. I recommend LT tires, not ST China-bombs. Hopefully they are Dexter axles. If they are Lippert, make sure they were not made when they had a big issue with grease seals failing. Check the ramp door area closely, as many coaches are weak in this area. Make sure the ramp itself is not bowed, and does not have flex in it. Most of them are made by Lippert, and failures are not uncommon.

Make them hook it up, and check and try every single thing in the coach. Once you sign, it's too late.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
roof leaking, especially in places you may not see very often, check the floor for rot and bowing, look under trailer and at the axles, if affixed properly and if dinged. hinges on the ramp and side door.

·
Premium Member
7,211 Posts
Tires, look at date code. Tread life don't matter its how old they are.

roof leaks, inspect roof and around windows exterior, interior look for streaks of water.

open ramp door stand at back of trailer at ramp hinge and bounce. Have some one look at cabinet to wall gap for flex. Most large toyhaulers need more frame to exterior wall out riggers installed. (Big Weekend Warrior issue easy fix to weld on gussetts)

wheel bearings, shackles and bushings tight? if not etrailer.com for inexpensive parts

propane tanks out of date to get filled?

tank level indicator work? black and grey water tanks caked with crud?

hook up truck and physically get on roof to measure top top height clearance for gas station overhangs and make a sticker to paste inside your windshield

·
Premium Member
9,351 Posts
I haven't inspected in person as yet, putting together that checklist.
Well, haggle if needed. '17 date codes are too old, especially on a triple axle. One blows, say goodbye to that plastic outer flare, your wheel well, and some of the fiberglass siding.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
When you do go in, go with a really bright flashlight. Work it around windows, rear ramp door, and under cabinets for any signs of leaks. Water intrusion is your worst enemy with any RV.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts