Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light, climbing a stream bed canyon. Shut down for a 10-min break and no further problems for the rest of the 60-mi ride. Fueled up with 91 octane. Next day, early in another 60-mi ride, got the check engine light, backfire off throttle, engine breaking downhill. Intermittent rough running engine, missing. Wrestled with it all day. No limp mode.

To a dealer next 2 days. Fault code for low voltage at O2 sensor. They checked the usual causes. Belt okay. Sensor tested good. Fuel filter okay. Air filter okay. No apparent cause.

But... Service guy brings me a container of gas from my tank. “Smells bad, doesn’t look right”.

Tank drained (but they can’t get it all out), known 2gl good fuel added. Off I go to a different gas station for a 91 oct top off.

Got a couple more check engine lights on the next ride, but running better. Another fuel top off and no more lights. Some rough running, but better.

So... No more high test gas from the Chevron, Falcon Ridge, Mesquite, NV. I’m thinking I got some ethanol separated “junk”. Seems it’s been a local problem and an off-road rental company has had major issues with it.

Service manager said no additives but I’ve had good results, other engines, with Seafoam. Thoughts?

Hats off to Polaris CanAm World, Mesquite, for their good service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey man sorry to hear about your problems. I've used seafoam and I Duno seams like snake oil. Maybe it works. If I had to guess couple gulps of water. More condensation in the 94 tank at the fuel station. Could also be the ethonol separating like you said. Maybe keep running 94 or 91 from another station. In a fancy neighborhood lots of sports cars lol.

Good luck.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man sorry to hear about your problems. I've used seafoam and I Duno seams like snake oil. Maybe it works. If I had to guess couple gulps of water. More condensation in the 94 tank at the fuel station. Could also be the ethonol separating like you said. Maybe keep running 94 or 91 from another station. In a fancy neighborhood lots of sports cars lol.

Good luck.

Thanks. Home in Wyoming now. First week of March I’ll add 10 oz Seafoam and ride on.

Right, how much high test gas is sold these days? I run regular in my Ram Hemi ;)

The guys I know have used a different gas station with good results. I’ll go there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah I hear yeah. Thatll be the day I put premium in my hemi lol. Maybe if it guess nox sensor codes

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in Mesquite and have use the Chevron on Mesquite Blvd without any problems. I also will add Lucas Complete Engine Treatment occasionally. I know a lot of folks like Seafoam but search you tube for a comparison. If you let it sit for more than a month you should use a fuel stabilizer i.e. Sta-bil for ethanol gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Mesquite and have use the Chevron on Mesquite Blvd without any problems. I also will add Lucas Complete Engine Treatment occasionally. I know a lot of folks like Seafoam but search you tube for a comparison. If you let it sit for more than a month you should use a fuel stabilizer i.e. Sta-bil for ethanol gas.
Thanks. My 91 oct came from a different station. Near Walmart. Friends have used the Sinclair, west end of town near McD's, with no problems. I'll go there since it's close.
Right, all of my seasonal motors, snowblower, mowers, generator, get the Stabil treatment. For years with no problems. I even treat the 5 gl jug sitting in the garage.
We've enjoyed our time in Mesquite this winter and have our name on the list at the RV park for next year. Great riding in the canyons and washes!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a couple of pumps close to the house that have 91 Octane and are Ethanol free. I don't put any fuel in my toys that has ethanol in it if I can avoid it. It does horrible things to rubber and most of the dirt bikes and quads I have are carbureted and some have accelerator pumps with rubber diaphragms. It just eats things up to much for my liking to even mess with. I even use ethanol free in my lawn mower. I carry a bottle of Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment in the saddle bag of my full baggar cruiser. That way if I stop somewhere and they don't have ethanol free gas I can treat it when I fill up and forget about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
“...Service manager said no additives but I’ve had good results, other engines, with Seafoam. Thoughts?...”

But I was presented with a complimentary bottle of Polaris fuel treatment in return for writing a review of the dealership ;)

Back in Mesquite now and running the second tank of 91 oct ethanol free gas. Seafoam treatment added and happy to say that the Rotax is running much better.

Too bad it’s a cold, very wet morning in Mesquite. We’re parked!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts