Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light, climbing a stream bed canyon. Shut down for a 10-min break and no further problems for the rest of the 60-mi ride. Fueled up with 91 octane. Next day, early in another 60-mi ride, got the check engine light, backfire off throttle, engine breaking downhill. Intermittent rough running engine, missing. Wrestled with it all day. No limp mode.

To a dealer next 2 days. Fault code for low voltage at O2 sensor. They checked the usual causes. Belt okay. Sensor tested good. Fuel filter okay. Air filter okay. No apparent cause.

But... Service guy brings me a container of gas from my tank. “Smells bad, doesn’t look right”.

Tank drained (but they can’t get it all out), known 2gl good fuel added. Off I go to a different gas station for a 91 oct top off.

Got a couple more check engine lights on the next ride, but running better. Another fuel top off and no more lights. Some rough running, but better.

So... No more high test gas from the Chevron, Falcon Ridge, Mesquite, NV. I’m thinking I got some ethanol separated “junk”. Seems it’s been a local problem and an off-road rental company has had major issues with it.

Service manager said no additives but I’ve had good results, other engines, with Seafoam. Thoughts?

Hats off to Polaris CanAm World, Mesquite, for their good service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey man sorry to hear about your problems. I've used seafoam and I Duno seams like snake oil. Maybe it works. If I had to guess couple gulps of water. More condensation in the 94 tank at the fuel station. Could also be the ethonol separating like you said. Maybe keep running 94 or 91 from another station. In a fancy neighborhood lots of sports cars lol.

Good luck.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man sorry to hear about your problems. I've used seafoam and I Duno seams like snake oil. Maybe it works. If I had to guess couple gulps of water. More condensation in the 94 tank at the fuel station. Could also be the ethonol separating like you said. Maybe keep running 94 or 91 from another station. In a fancy neighborhood lots of sports cars lol.

Good luck.

Thanks. Home in Wyoming now. First week of March I’ll add 10 oz Seafoam and ride on.

Right, how much high test gas is sold these days? I run regular in my Ram Hemi ;)

The guys I know have used a different gas station with good results. I’ll go there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah I hear yeah. Thatll be the day I put premium in my hemi lol. Maybe if it guess nox sensor codes

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in Mesquite and have use the Chevron on Mesquite Blvd without any problems. I also will add Lucas Complete Engine Treatment occasionally. I know a lot of folks like Seafoam but search you tube for a comparison. If you let it sit for more than a month you should use a fuel stabilizer i.e. Sta-bil for ethanol gas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Mesquite and have use the Chevron on Mesquite Blvd without any problems. I also will add Lucas Complete Engine Treatment occasionally. I know a lot of folks like Seafoam but search you tube for a comparison. If you let it sit for more than a month you should use a fuel stabilizer i.e. Sta-bil for ethanol gas.
Thanks. My 91 oct came from a different station. Near Walmart. Friends have used the Sinclair, west end of town near McD's, with no problems. I'll go there since it's close.
Right, all of my seasonal motors, snowblower, mowers, generator, get the Stabil treatment. For years with no problems. I even treat the 5 gl jug sitting in the garage.
We've enjoyed our time in Mesquite this winter and have our name on the list at the RV park for next year. Great riding in the canyons and washes!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a couple of pumps close to the house that have 91 Octane and are Ethanol free. I don't put any fuel in my toys that has ethanol in it if I can avoid it. It does horrible things to rubber and most of the dirt bikes and quads I have are carbureted and some have accelerator pumps with rubber diaphragms. It just eats things up to much for my liking to even mess with. I even use ethanol free in my lawn mower. I carry a bottle of Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment in the saddle bag of my full baggar cruiser. That way if I stop somewhere and they don't have ethanol free gas I can treat it when I fill up and forget about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
“...Service manager said no additives but I’ve had good results, other engines, with Seafoam. Thoughts?...”

But I was presented with a complimentary bottle of Polaris fuel treatment in return for writing a review of the dealership ;)

Back in Mesquite now and running the second tank of 91 oct ethanol free gas. Seafoam treatment added and happy to say that the Rotax is running much better.

Too bad it’s a cold, very wet morning in Mesquite. We’re parked!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the saga continues. Home from Mesquite and the problem has gotten worse. Numerous check engine lights and poor running, but not continuously. Fault codes are consistent, low voltage at the O2 sensor, which was replaced to no avail. I took the service advisor for a ride yesterday with his computer plugged in. Every time we had a check engine light he saw an error on a specific sensor, but I don’t recall which. In the shop today for extensive troubleshooting to include wire harnesses, ignition system and exhaust.

I no longer think it was a fuel issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

One thing came up. The Buds computer indicated readings for two O2 sensors. However the parts manual for the engine shows only one. They’ll be checking for a second on the front cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
How does the service guy not know if you have 2 o2 sensors? I’d find a different dealer yours sounds retarded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the maverick x3 only has one o2 sensor
so your parts guy was probably looking at the wrong maverick

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the maverick x3 only has one o2 sensor
so your parts guy was probably looking at the wrong maverick
No, they're looking at the engine model. I'm thinking there's a sensor on the intake side giving problems. They're closed tomorrow, we'll talk Tuesday AM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off I’ve no idea how my topic was posted in in the introduction section. Likely my newbie error.

Moderators please move it to the Maverick Sport section.

Update: Local dealer drained the fuel tank and found the fuel filter, or “sock”, On the fuel pump gummy and disintegrating. Not able to pass fuel easily. They say it’s likely a result of ethanol separated gas which I suspected from the start.

Waiting for a new filter.

·
Administrator
2,350 Posts
First off I’ve no idea how my topic was posted in in the introduction section. Likely my newbie error.

Moderators please move it to the Maverick Sport section.

Update: Local dealer drained the fuel tank and found the fuel filter, or “sock”, On the fuel pump gummy and disintegrating. Not able to pass fuel easily. They say it’s likely a result of ethanol separated gas which I suspected from the start.

Waiting for a new filter.
Your first thread goes into the new members section.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I started a discussion, February, and the thread is in the Member Introduction
section. Here’s a shorter story since I hope to finally have a resolution.

Got a Check Engine light during a ride. No obvious problem. Came and went for a few days. Dealer reported that the codes said O2 sensor but it looked good. After more checking for the usual causes of the light, they came up with “bad gas” as the cause. Think ethanol separated. Turned out that there was a known problem with gas in Mesquite, NV, so I found a local Flying J selling 91 octane clear gas, no ethanol.

But the problem persisted. Fast forward. The Sport Max 1000 is now home for the summer. The intermittent Check Engine light is now accompanied by very rough running, lack of power and backfiring.

Local dealer, who sold me the unit last year and 2000 miles ago, has it in the shop. Codes still show a bad O2 sensor, replaced to no avail. They did, after checking the associated wiring, find a bad relay. Still no solution so, before going further, they opened a case with BRP asking for suggestions.

Fuel tank drained. I’m told (haven’t seen it yet), the “sock” on the fuel filter is ”gummy” and disintegrating. Barely able to pass fuel and some debris in the tank. The theory is it was caused by too much ethanol. Back to “bad gas”.

We’re waiting for parts. Hopefully finally fixed.

EDIT: So, here it is again. And I thought I was posting this in the "Engine and Drivetrain" section.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally I'm calling it fixed.

After 3 weeks, a couple of parts (relay and fuel filter), cleaning some dirt out of the fuel tank and just over $300, it wasn't fixed. Still getting a check engine light, rough running. Dealer wanted to keep it for more work. Nope. I took it home and ordered an aftermarket fuel pump to replace the small unit in the gas tank assembly. MUCH better running, but still the occasional check engine light. I had already cleaned and greased all the wire harness connectors on the engine except the throttle and MAF connectors. Now they're done and all's well. See my post to Fasrnu in the X3 forum, "Under the Knife" thread. Quote:

"...THANKS! Fasrnu, for posting this detailed procedure. Especially the photos. I ordered the same identical AEM pump (P/N from your photo), installed it and helped solve a problem I've been dealing with since February.

I needed to replace the factory 10 amp fuel pump fuse with a 15 amp. No worries since a former CanAm tech told me the harness would take 30 amp.
My machine is a Maverick Sport 1000R Max, no turbo, but the pumps are the same, plug and play. Nice to have a pump rated for E85, ethanol, methanol, whatever, since my problem may well have begun with ethanol separated gas. No, I didn't want to buy the entire factory fuel tank unit, including the quantity sender, for more $$$.

See the " check engine light, bad gas?" thread. Final fix was the new fuel pump and cleaning/greasing all the harness connectors on the engine. Especially the MAF connector.

Thanks again!..."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts