Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, thank you in advance.
I have a 2021 X3 Smart Shox.
Accessories are: Baja Designs S8 50”, Baja Designs S8 10”, 6,000 pound winch, Rockford stage 5, 30 Inch Led Chase Bar, Voswitch Control Module, 5150 Dual Whips, UTV Stereo 2nd Battery kit.

I have an issue with voltage. When all my accessories are powered when I have the unit idling or even driving. I see my voltage go down to 12.4 or lower and the battery Icon Turns on and cuts the power of the sound system and chase bar. (Rest are secondary battery powered). They cut them it’s fine. I have a secondary battery kit but it isn’t helping. I know it’s a ton of power , seeing if anyone can help. what do you guys think. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Hey Guys, thank you in advance.
I have a 2021 X3 Smart Shox.
Accessories are: Baja Designs S8 50”, Baja Designs S8 10”, 6,000 pound winch, Rockford stage 5, 30 Inch Led Chase Bar, Voswitch Control Module, 5150 Dual Whips, UTV Stereo 2nd Battery kit.

I have an issue with voltage. When all my accessories are powered when I have the unit idling or even driving. I see my voltage go down to 12.4 or lower and the battery Icon Turns on and cuts the power of the sound system and chase bar. (Rest are secondary battery powered). They cut them it’s fine. I have a secondary battery kit but it isn’t helping. I know it’s a ton of power , seeing if anyone can help. what do you guys think. Thanks again
Are you running factory battery with a second battery or did you upgrade both batteries?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
UTV STEREO 2nd Battery kit
I am having a different dual battery set up for mine with 2 larger (AGM 530CA batteries. You need as much battery capacity as you can get. I dont think your dual battery kit will let you run the batteries i am going to run. If you can't run bigger batteries you need to at least get Lithium batteries as they will let you stay above 12 volts down to around 25% where the non Lithium batteries basically drop dead at 50%.I am trying to find Lithium batteries to upgrade from what come with my dual battery kit, but so far have not found ones in the right size. I have the same sound system as you getting installed with more Led lights. This is the Batteries my kit comes with.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
UTV STEREO 2nd Battery kit
Looks like your dual battery kit is using stock 1st battery with a second small battery of 270CCA. You definitely need more battery capacity. The stock battery is weak. 1st thing i would do is upgrade your stock battery to the biggest AGM battery that will fit and see if that fixes your problem. If it doesn't you will need 2 larger AMG batteries or at least 2 Lithium batteries. If that dont fix it you will have to get the dual battery kit i bought and its not cheap around $1,250 that includes the 2 AMG Full Throttle FT410R 410CCA Batteries. Some have did a 3rd option of 1 very large battery, but that wont give you the separation in the charging system for reserve starting if you run it to low.
There is also a 4th , and 5th option but you can only do one or the other.
Get the Hydro steer from Ross and reduce your amp draw by 15-30 AMP's at $4400. OR
Get the Alternator Kit at $2,700.
Before spending to much money i would also check to see how many amps your drawing so you can save some time and $ doing the correct choice 1st.

Boost battery power with UTV Stereo's auxiliary battery solution! Need more voltage or want to keep the tunes going and lights on when parked in your Can Am X3? No problem, our kit does it all! allows you to isolate the new secondary AGM battery while the vehicle's IGN is off, preserving your stock battery for starting. This system is quite simple: Key ON - both batteries are connected to X3, Key OFF- 2nd battery is isolated from X3. Its that simple and it works great. However don't forget to maintain your batteries with our Automatic Battery Charger / Maintainer.

INCLUDES
  • 1 - AGM Dry Cell Battery 270CCA
  • 1 - Battery Mount
  • 1 - 80 Amp Battery Isolator Relay
  • 2 - 8 AWG Blue Power Wires
  • 1 - 8 AWG Black Ground Wire
  • 1 - 12 AWG Braided Harness
  • 2 - 1” bolts with nylon nuts
  • 2 - 3/4” bolts with nylon nuts
  • 2 - 1/2” bolts with nylon nuts
  • 1 - Red Distribution Block
  • 1 - Red 4 AWG Power Harness

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Simple you are using more power than you are making. More batteries adds extra time but still discharging not charging. Even the 2021 with 850 watt stator isn't enough for you. Ditch the stereo lol....
You are correct Capacity just buys you more time, but the electric system is reading the 1st stock battery and its capacity is low to start with. OP had said voltage down to 12.4 or a little less so we really dont know how much voltage is being used. but I would assume a lot. Not running everything and turning down the 1600 watt stereo would also help. Really need to know how much power is actually being drawn to come to the solution that will actually work. I dont think he will be getting rid of the $5K+ stereo system.

·
Premium Member
14,361 Posts
Simple you are using more power than you are making. More batteries adds extra time but still discharging not charging. Even the 2021 with 850 watt stator isn't enough for you. Ditch the stereo lol....
Welcome from Tucson AZ. 2nd this. Do you know how much watts the Baja Dedigns draw? Let alone the rest of what you have? You realistically have to come to a decision on what you want. You're going to be going through batteries the way some guys go through belts. I recommend looking into 2 Odyssey PC 1200 batteries, even then I doubt you can keep it all?

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Welcome from Tucson AZ. 2nd this. Do you know how much watts the Baja Dedigns draw? Let alone the rest of what you have? You realistically have to come to a decision on what you want. You're going to be going through batteries the way some guys go through belts. I recommend looking into 2 Odyssey PC 1200 batteries, even then I doubt you can keep it all?
I was looking into the UTV STEREO Big Battery kit. Has 740 Cold Cranking Amp. I think it will be best for me. But wanted to see what everyone else does.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
I was looking into the UTV STEREO Big Battery kit. Has 740 Coke Cranking Amp. I think it will be best for me. But wanted to see what everyone else does.
You need to do a test to see how much draw you have on the electric system. Once you have that information you will know what you can do to resolve your issue.

·
Premium Member
14,361 Posts
I was looking into the UTV STEREO Big Battery kit. Has 740 Coke Cranking Amp. I think it will be best for me. But wanted to see what everyone else does.
Just me giving "advice", but the loud stereo, doesn't really work out well. No one on the trails seem to like it, or the dunes. I think you've got too much, and no matter what you get, it won't be enough. Driving at night with those Bajas on..... And I'm not knocking Baja Designs, I run them too. SXSs aren't cars / trucks, they have their limits, even with dual batteries.

Reactions: Tmesic and BLR

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,689 Posts
I 100% agree. Stereos on a performance machine are rediculous and sacrilegious in my world haha. Its a sin. Sins get punished.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just me giving "advice", but the loud stereo, doesn't really work out well. No one on the trails seem to like it, or the dunes. I think you've got too much, and no matter what you get, it won't be enough. Driving at night with those Bajas on..... And I'm not knocking Baja Designs, I run them too. SXSs aren't cars / trucks, they have their limits, even with dual batteries.
Usually that’s the case, but this car I want it as a casual car and my other car is my trail car. Never had a power issue like this. The strange thing is the sound system doesn’t use much power. My power doesn’t really drop, with it on it stays at 14.1V, I power everything else but the bar and it’s at 13.7. The second I then turn on the 50 inch, it drops to 12.4 or 12.6 at idle

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Usually that’s the case, but this car I want it as a casual car and my other car is my trail car. Never had a power issue like this. The strange thing is the sound system doesn’t use much power. My power doesn’t really drop, with it on it stays at 14.1V, I power everything else but the bar and it’s at 13.7. The second I then turn on the 50 inch, it drops to 12.4 or 12.6 at idle
Is your level 5 sound system speakers all in the roof, and came with the 50 inch light bar? If so the light bar is a 200 watt.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
838 Posts
The X3 barely generates enough power at idle to keep the car idling without a single accessory running and the ECU does raise the idle to compensate (like in a car if you turn on the AC).

It’s almost better to shut the car off completely while you drain the batteries with accessories than to keep it idling.

While driving at higher rpm you can generate power but not at idle.

Moral of the story is...if you want all the accessories while you’re sitting, big battery and as many as you can fit. Give you time to drain them. I would also recommend putting it on a trickle charger at camp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The X3 barely generates enough power at idle to keep the car idling without a single accessory running and the ECU does raise the idle to compensate (like in a car if you turn on the AC).

It’s almost better to shut the car off completely while you drain the batteries with accessories than to keep it idling.

While driving at higher rpm you can generate power but not at idle.

Moral of the story is...if you want all the accessories while you’re sitting, big battery and as many as you can fit. Give you time to drain them. I would also recommend putting it on a trickle charger at camp.
Looks like that is going to have to be the route I take. Ditching the 2nd Battery Kit and getting a Big Battery kit. Should be good and then when cruising since I usually go 50+. Then when sitting I use a little and worse to worse Carry a jump box. Would you guys recommend UTV STEREO Big Battery or what do you guys run for a big main?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update guys: Bug battery helped till it didn’t. So I found out that my car charges the system till it doesn’t, when accelerating the car in park all of a sudden it goes from charging and going from 13.3 to 14.2 then cuts charging it and back down to 13.0 and doesn’t charge up. So I’m guessing I have a defective stator or rectifier.
What are your opinions?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts