Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my weekend thing is changing out all 4 ball joints, was hoping to do it on the car without taking off the arms, anybody have scoop on if that's a good idea or not ?
Seems like I could tap/beat them in while on the mav, but that's why we got all you guys right !

Thoughts ?

Thanks !
Dog

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Most of the time a short cut is the longest distance between two points. Hammers here are a bad Ideal. Save yourself some grief, take them off and use a hydraulic press for the job. If you don't have one find a local shop to swap them out for ya.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Most of the time a short cut is the longest distance between two points. Hammers here are a bad Ideal. Save yourself some grief, take them off and use a hydraulic press for the job. If you don't have one find a local shop to swap them out for ya.
exactly!!. Also IF your ball joints are worn out then likely you need a set of bushings too. Might as well do it all once you are in there.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Trevor, I had a clear moment and went back in time to my automotive days too, realizing there are ball joint presses, like this one. Might actually work for the wheel bearings too.

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-PRO-Service-Removal-Installer-Adapters/dp/B01MT5HA0X/ref=asc_df_B01MT5HA0X/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312064691975&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5902834850778179026&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031458&hvtargid=pla-569699011908&psc=1

The arm bushings are good as they are aftermarket and high-clearance, but they probably re-used the stock ball joints at the time.

Thanks guys !

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
They will work but are aggravating when installing new ball joints. Just did mine a month ago. Bought new lowers and put in super Dave’s and new balljoints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Another option if you don't want to remove is using an automotive style ball joint tool, the kind that looks like a c clamp and has the different sized cups.
Exactly what I have, works good. These ball joints are in very tight and must be pressed in / out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts