Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.I need to center the steering wheel after aligning the wheel front wheel.Is there a drag link somewhere that I use and that does not effect the wheel align. or is the only adj. up past the tie-rod near the rubber boot?Thanks.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
if tie rods are adjusted evenly from both sides, then steering wheel should be straight!?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the only adj.there is then,turning the rods way up by the boot?I'm on my way to buy a floor jack and start the fronts over.I'm starting to think I might have a bad tire so I'm going to rotate them.It likes to drift to the right if I let go of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That's the only adj.there is then,turning the rods way up by the boot?I'm on my way to buy a floor jack and start the fronts over.I'm starting to think I might have a bad tire so I'm going to rotate them.It likes to drift to the right if I let go of the steering wheel.
no need to even jack it up.....drive it to get it driving straight (disregard the wheel position). Slowly come to a stop and then loosen the outer locking nuts on both tie rods and adjust one side in and the other out in equally. Check wheel...repeat as needed. This is assuming you have the toe in/out set correctly to start with....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I still think you have a slightly bent part somewhere that is causing your steering wheel to be off centered. Check the tierod ends and also where they bolt up to the spindles. It takes only a very slight bent to cause a problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's getting there now, I'll fine tune it later.I set zero toe in/out when I drove it earlier today.Still pulls to the right just a hair.I already toed in the right a hair and towed out the left a hair but it's getting too damn cold to check it.It was about 10 degrees out then, now it's about 5 above but going to get super cold for the next few days. The steering wheel seems to be getting back to centered on it's own,if not I'll pull it.When talking about a bent part, my right tire needed two fatter sized tire plugs to stop the leak, maybe something happened to the tire, it's on the same side.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's getting there now, I'll fine tune it later.I set zero toe in/out when I drove it earlier today.Still pulls to the right just a hair.I already toed in the right a hair and towed out the left a hair but it's getting too damn cold to check it.It was about 10 degrees out then, now it's about 5 above but going to get super cold for the next few days. The steering wheel seems to be getting back to centered on it's own,if not I'll pull it.When talking about a bent part, my right tire needed two fatter sized tire plugs to stop the leak, maybe something happened to the tire, it's on the same side.
You should also check the ride height at all four corners, I had the same problem, my steering wheel was pulling to the right, I checked the toe, front and back, and it kept pulling to the right, the culprit was the front right side was lower than the rest, I cranked the preload on that coilover and problem solved, no more pulling.
I also set the front to 1/8 toe in and 0 toe in the rear. Also check tire pressure.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
You should also check the ride height at all four corners, I had the same problem, my steering wheel was pulling to the right, I checked the toe, front and back, and it kept pulling to the right, the culprit was the front right side was lower than the rest, I cranked the preload on that coilover and problem solved, no more pulling.
I also set the front to 1/8 toe in and 0 toe in the rear. Also check tire pressure.
I hope this helps.
You beat me to it. Tire pressure will definitely cause it as well

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think it's about there now but the temp. outside is -10 w/o windchill and going to get to around -25 F the next couple nights.Think I'll have to wait until this cold front moves on before I test it.My shop has heat in it so I'll probably take the skid plate off and clean it because I changed gear box,front and rear diffs. and motor oil and filter with it on.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
brrr....where do you live! I though it was cold here this morning at 16 degrees....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Think it's about there now but the temp. outside is -10 w/o windchill and going to get to around -25 F the next couple nights.Think I'll have to wait until this cold front moves on before I test it.My shop has heat in it so I'll probably take the skid plate off and clean it because I changed gear box,front and rear diffs. and motor oil and filter with it on.
Dang that's freking chilly. SD is a cool 65-ish today. :cool2:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
I saw this earlier and forgot to post my suggestion.

What I do is grab a ratchet tie and double it up to the steering wheel. Then hook it to the frame on the seat, tighten it so it won't move but making sure it's centered. Loosen the steering, adjust everything center, toe in a 1/8th inch on each side (will help with high speed wobbles in the desert). Tighten it all back up and your good to go.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I saw this earlier and forgot to post my suggestion.

What I do is grab a ratchet tie and double it up to the steering wheel. Then hook it to the frame on the seat, tighten it so it won't move but making sure it's centered. Loosen the steering, adjust everything center, toe in a 1/8th inch on each side (will help with high speed wobbles in the desert). Tighten it all back up and your good to go.
yep, that will do it too....more than one way to skin a cat :crazy:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
well that makes sense....break out the wood chipper and start throwing some bodies in it.....sorry, couldn't help but think of the movie Fargo :crazy:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol...........-24 right now but it's going to get better this morning all the way up to -10.Fargo borders Minnesota, I'm on the other end of the state 15 miles from Montana.Great movie though except they way overdid it on the scandinevian accent.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That's too cold for my blood. I went snowmobiling once and it was -30 and the sleds ran amazing once you got them started.....couldn't imagine what the wind chill was at 80mph when we were ripping across the lake! got some minor frost bite on my cheeks because I wear open face MX style helmets....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suppose to hit one above tomorrow so the worst of this cold spell is over.I have a new helmet to try out on my next ride along with seeing how the wheel alignment is. I bought a module helmet so I can leave it on when drinking on a beverage or use it as a full-coverage helmet with shield.Keeping my fingers crossed it won't fog in cold weather.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts