Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some thermal barrier to help with the heat coming from the center console area. I didn't install it yet because I wanted to get some temperature readings from the stock panels. I basically ran my Maverick for 30 min at mostly idle. The engine fan cycled on several times but I took the reading when the fan was off so the engine temps were around 200 degrees when I took the temperature readings off the center console panels. Engine fan on really didn't drop the temperature readings off the panels very much if at all. I used my infrared temperature gun I got from HF and took readings in the hottest areas of the center panels. Oh, I also have the header pipes wrapped with DEI titanium wrap.

I was curious if anyone took any temperature readings of the center panels after installation of aftermarket thermo barrier. If so, please post some info. I think it would be interesting to know how much of a drop in temperatures you get from the thermo barrier.

Driver Side Front Center Panel Area
Center Console Driver Front Area 20140713.jpg

Driver Side Rear Center Panel Area
Center Console Driver Rear Area 20140713.jpg

Passenger Side Front Center Panel Area
Center Console Pass Front Area 20140713.jpg

Passenger Side Rear Center Panel Area
Center Console Pass Rear Area 20140713.jpg

Cup Holder Area
Center Console Cup Holder Area 20140713.jpg

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
very nice! I wished I had done that to mine before and after but I did not. How much was the IR gun at HF? I might have to pick one up and do the same test.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice! I wished I had done that to mine before and after but I did not. How much was the IR gun at HF? I might have to pick one up and do the same test.
Well I wish I would have taking temp readings before I put the header wrap stuff on so I could see how much a benefit the wrap was but I didn't think about it at the time and I am too lazy to take that stuff off now and put back on just to do a test.

The HF infrared gun was like $30-$35.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's amazing how hot the cup holder gets. That rear header pipe is toasting both sides and top portions of the rear area of the center panel.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
368 Posts
I went to buy a gun today but they sold the last one just before I got there...will pick it up next week before I wrap the exhaust and cover the panels

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did both a few weeks back...made a huge difference. When you put that thermotec on be careful the edges are razor sharp! I cut the hell out of my finger!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't think about an additional layer. Good idea maxdun and NotSure123. Probably best to do that in those really hot areas especially the cup holder. I can't believe BRP didn't do anything to shield heat from the cup holder. No drink will stay cold long in that cup holder.

·
Registered
529 Posts
this is a great idea.
I am going to wrap my header, and I'll take readings before and after to see how it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Gee it's nice to know that my cup holder is only 45 degrees hotter then the air temp outside. No seriously nice post, that plate up by the throttle is what is HOT, used the thermo wrap myself and does seem to help. Like the idea of the fan override switch for extra cooling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can still use all of the foam padding just take your time pulling it off and put some place so that the sticky side stays clean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can still use all of the foam padding just take your time pulling it off and put some place so that the sticky side stays clean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just started to take my foam padding off. I was able to save most of the padding. Would be interesting to see how much heat reduction there is if you put the padding back on vs just adding another layer of thermo barrier.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The padding does more for sound dampening then heat.....put it back on if you can...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Didn't think about an additional layer. Good idea maxdun and NotSure123. Probably best to do that in those really hot areas especially the cup holder. I can't believe BRP didn't do anything to shield heat from the cup holder. No drink will stay cold long in that cup holder.
Yea, but it keeps my coffee warm on those chilly morning rides...:smile:

Reactions: sand shark
1 - 20 of 70 Posts