Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing some posts re: catch can affect in eliminating contamination in the turbo inlet and the inside of the inter-cooler I put one on, and am surprised at the amount of oily crap (probably a tablespoon) after only about 80 miles that it caught. I bought one with a filter that vents to the atmosphere and just had to fab a small bracket for a mount and think it is a worthwhile addition.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
mine always has fuel in it (mostly ethanol and water)
and is mounted above the motor
never any oil yet and I expected to see oily goop

·
Registered
953 Posts
I thought it was oil until I poured it out. Watery fuel mix. Slight color from oil mist probably.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the one I installed/ still need to install the lines I ran out of time before the dez trip but got the can mounted so just need to hook up the hoses https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3UUHPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Be sure to use some locktite on the 2 baffles as mine came unscrewed and got the threads all beat up just rattling around in the cup. Was able to save them with some TLC but it was close to having to repurchase another one. BTW I found the same one for $25.00 on amazon.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
They had purple and red for 25. But I wanted the black It was the only one I could find from this manuf. ,this is one of the cheapest mods I can think of

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Be sure to use some locktite on the 2 baffles as mine came unscrewed and got the threads all beat up just rattling around in the cup. Was able to save them with some TLC but it was close to having to repurchase another one. BTW I found the same one for $25.00 on amazon.
Thanks for the heads up on the loctite

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Just a report back after my first big outing with the WS170 tune, the catch can was full of fuel/oily/watery stuff around about 150 miles.
I also noticed a lot of smokey vapor coming with the non recirculating set up out for the breather filter after hard ride.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use this one. It is a closed loop system. I didn't want an open system due to getting water in it when power washing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I didn't. It goes into the intake. It works the same way as a water trap on an air compressor line. This catch can has a brass filter inside to catch any oil vapor . Catches some water, too.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Reactions: Macdad260

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Mine only gets a half teaspoon or so after around 50miles. I suspect it's mostly condensed water vapor as it doesn't really smell like gas or alcohol to me but does have a rotten solvent smell. I've got it mounted at a low point too so both pipes can drain to it. We've normally a very dry climate here so I'm guessing less water inside. ??

·
Registered
640 Posts
I mounted mine low, if you have a 17 -19 there are two hole already in the mount that you can tap with a 3/8 tap and make a bracket to mount the can

1 - 18 of 18 Posts