Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'd like to get an exhaust that removes the cat (major heat source close to the shock reservoir and heats the bed up hugely) for a bit more power and noise, however in the summer our forests get dangerously dry up here, to the point they occasionally have to ban all forest use when the fires get too bad, so I need to have a VERY good spark arrestor, that is USFS (Canada uses that spec as well).

I know the cat helps eliminate a lot of the spark, would it still be safe?

·
Registered
537 Posts
CAT delete won’t affect the spark arrestor - DEFINITELY pump more fumes and can be kinda smelly, but it’s not a fire hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,024 Posts
On a fairly stock car I doubt a spark would ever ever really make it past the turbo.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a fairly stock car I doubt a spark would ever ever really make it past the turbo.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Good to know, I figured I might be over cautious, but I would NOT want to be the one who starts a massive forest fire cause I wanted more noise lol.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
267 Posts
As others have said, you SHOULD be OK as the actual spark arrestor is attached to the outlet of the stock muffler. Now if you're really worried about it from a spark arresting or legal aspect, you can use a SuperTrapp spark arrestor / muffler that is USDA approved. It's tunable so you can adjust back pressure & sound to suite your needs.

I fabricated a new exhaust deleting the cat & muffler and run a straight pipe with one of these on the end: SuperTrapp 444-2503 4 inch Universal Disc Only Muffler 2.5in Inlet

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
No, just leave it stock looking at the outlet and you wont have a problem. Start welding crap on your exhaust and they will just question it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, just leave it stock looking at the outlet and you wont have a problem. Start welding crap on your exhaust and they will just question it.
Honestly aside from the legal crap, (I live in a remote area, I haven't seen a Conservation officer (Canadian version of forest service) in the bush in 5+ years. I just want to make sure i'm not going to start a fire.

·
Premium Member
13,611 Posts
As others have said, you SHOULD be OK as the actual spark arrestor is attached to the outlet of the stock muffler. Now if you're really worried about it from a spark arresting or legal aspect, you can use a SuperTrapp spark arrestor / muffler that is USDA approved. It's tunable so you can adjust back pressure & sound to suite your needs.

I fabricated a new exhaust deleting the cat & muffler and run a straight pipe with one of these on the end: SuperTrapp 444-2503 4 inch Universal Disc Only Muffler 2.5in Inlet
^^^^^
This.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You'll be good, spark arrester is in the muffler tip or the muffler inlet if its an xmr. The turbo also qualifies as a legal spark arrester.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The turbo also qualifies as a legal spark arrester.

this is false in most places
the fish cops will need to see a certified arrester

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
No fish cop is going to buy the “turbo is a sparky” thing. You’ll probably have to go to court to plead your case

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If you fab your own exhaust, the arrestor screen from a rzr is a cheap and easy way to add a spark arrestor. They're like 30 bucks or so, just cut the end of the exhaust square and drop it in and secure it with a bolt.

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,024 Posts
The OP never said he intended to remove his spark arrestor. Just the cat.

Sounds to me like he wants a cat delete pipe only. So he would still have the stock spark arrestor. And is only looking for a better spark arrestor.

But he will have to clarify.

Anyways here is a Canadian made option. Comes with spark arrestors. Can be ordered eaily from MBRP in Huntsville Ontario.

Just did a video with it a couple days ago...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I offered the popo spark arrestor info because the thread had drifted a bit into the realm of making your own exhaust.

As for sparks coming out the tailpipe after deleting the cat, the stock muffler will also do a pretty good job of preventing that. Unless you have a short exhaust with a cutout, its really hard to imagine one of these machines actually spitting out any kind of spark.

I'm certainly not a "sea lawyer" when it comes to forest rules but I think they say you need either a spark arrestor or an automotive style muffler. But I could be wrong and even if I'm not I can see a ranger giving someone a ticket anyway.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
267 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Rim
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

You just can't get much cheaper or simpler than a SuperTrapp USFS Approved spark arrestor / muffler. It's US Forest Service approved and says so right on the cap and a tunable performance exhaust. Hard to find one as light as this and with a small footprint. And costs several times less than the average performance exhaust that is heavy, bulky, and can't be tuned. You want cat delete? Cut that sucker off and add a 45-deg bend with the SuperTrapp on the end (source both from Summit Racing). Add a simple bracket and exhaust hanger and you're done. Easily completed in half a day and for ~$200-$250 all in.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
View attachment 272280 View attachment 272281

You just can't get much cheaper or simpler than a SuperTrapp USFS Approved spark arrestor / muffler. It's US Forest Service approved and says so right on the cap and a tunable performance exhaust. Hard to find one as light as this and with a small footprint. And costs several times less than the average performance exhaust that is heavy, bulky, and can't be tuned. You want cat delete? Cut that sucker off and add a 45-deg bend with the SuperTrapp on the end (source both from Summit Racing). Add a simple bracket and exhaust hanger and you're done. Easily completed in half a day and for ~$200-$250 all in.
How loud is that thing? I hate loud exhausts. My Borla setup is about the same price although perhaps a little more difficult to fab, but not much. Definitely more room with your setup, very nice.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
267 Posts
I'm limited to 95 db to comply with AZOP rules (I believe that's driven by USFS rules) so mine is a bit louder than the stock exhaust. But the system uses discs to make it quieter so it's as simple as loosening six #10 screws and removing plates until you get the muffled affect you want. More plates = less restriction and more db, less plates = less db. Even with enough plates to have almost zero back-pressure, it's way quieter than on open exhaust. Then there is the old trick of aiming the exhaust toward the ground to attenuate the noise a bit more.

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts
I did a supertrap years ago on a sand rail to meet USFS rules and it made less horsepower no matter how many rings we installed even all it came with.

I don't remember the exact amount but actually even noticeable while driving at the cinders.

I finally had to give up the Supertrap theory and had a guy fab a basic screen type.

Just my experience.

Tim

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
To get a little Supertrap can down to 95db on an x3 its going to be SERIOUSLY plugged up. Better off running stock can if you want quiet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts