Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Good luck with that pile of shit sandcraft one. I tried 2 of them before going back to oem. There is a reason the oem one is rubber supported. Why people want a spinning driveshaft to be solid mounted right there is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
WAFJ.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Good luck with that pile of shit sandcraft one. I tried 2 of them before going back to oem. There is a reason the oem one is rubber supported. Why people want a spinning driveshaft to be solid mounted right there is beyond me.
Because the ad for said product says it is better. So it must be true.

I believe a majority of the desert racers and short course racers all stick with the OEM carrier bearing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A lot of drive line vibration problems are phasing related. If you go back and search, most folks who have had to maintain their driveshafts have been very surprised by how out of phase the driveshafts are!

An out of phase driveshaft will vibrate and eventually destroy transmissions and diffs! Scary!

I had to replace my driveshaft (I have a ‘21 max) and I chose the sand craft driveshaft with carrier bearing. Sand craft puts a notch so you can’t assemble the shaft out of phase even if you tried!

My bearing is butta smooth baby!

So as a PSA, if you are getting vibrations or are in the driveshaft area, check for correct phasing! My cousins down in Mexico have been known to NOT phase correctly from the factory.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sandcraft made it 900 miles in my machine and then took a crap. Threw it in the corner and went back to OEM carrier. Worst aftermarket part I've ever purchased. My friends that had Sandcraft have all went back to OEM also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 X3 RC Turbo RR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sounds like in several opinions that I may have fell victim to the Sand craft marketing blitz,. For safe measure I will be ordering an OEM carrier bearing just in case we experience excessive vibration.

Honestly the can-am is my wife's machine so all this is for my woman who will carry her beach chair, cruise around and probably never break 50 MPH

(n)🤡🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I didn’t need a whole new driveshaft, I would stick with OEM too.

Way too much margin for error to use a solid carrier.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
62 Posts
Phasing is important.
Agree! Out of phase conditions cause vibration: Driveshaft Phasing & Its Importance

A u-joint travels in an elliptical pattern when the operating angle is anything but zero degrees. If there is a u-joint at each end of the driveshaft (most common automotive configuration) you can get an out of phase condition just by having different operating angles.

Luckily our X3 driveshafts don't turn as fast as my race car's driveshaft (~8,000 RPM) as the faster it rotates the more enertial effect an out of balance condition has. Read that as more speed is more likely to cause catastrophic damage.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Well I’m assuming that the front pitch bolt on the newer cars still passes through a valley on the diff input shaft to located the front driveshaft fore and aft? Hard to imagine if that front pinch bolt is correctly installed that there would be so little spline engagement on the rear driveshaft. That truly would be a terrible design.
Yes the front still has the valley like all of them. Just not the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts