Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put winches on my maverick. My friends all have 4500lb Viper winches. I was looking at the new Viper Elite models. What size winch (lbs) do i really need for the front and rear? is 4500 overkill? Should I put a smaller one on the front, and a larger in the rear? any input is helpful

thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
I got a 5000lb, as far as winches and overkill goes I'd rather have way more winch then I need vs not having enough when you need it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
4500 is with the rope all the way out. Get a couple layers and you are down to 2250lb. Add more layets and it keeps going down . So 4500 is minimal in my book. I run 5000 lb viper elite on maverick and 8000 lb on ranger 900.

If Im on the side of the trail posting ... its because Im waiting for you to catch up.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree bigger the better. I had 4500 viper elite not be strong enough to pull out my old rhino a few times. More is better !!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Front only

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would get as big as one that you can afford and as big as one that will fit in the mount area. With that said I have a Super winch 3500 terra and it has been fabulous. When I think I need more power I just double the line with a snatch block and all is well. On a side note I am not a fan of nylon rope for winch line. Give me good old cable any day.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've broke 2 viper poly winch lines. I'm not a fan either but the poly is easy on the hands and easy on getting hurt unlike cable. I've seen to many cables break and fly in my day. I will stick with the poly.

·
Registered
806 Posts
On the 5000 lb viper elite, what mount do I use with the BRP front bumper? Where do I get the mount and winch? How much?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Never mind. Found it on Ebay.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the 4000 viper and mount on my brute from moto alliance best winch i have ever had

·
Registered
548 Posts
Viper elite 5k widespool on the front of mine. The GF did break one rope on me, but she just didn't know not to hook the cable to itself. lesson learned, but when it did break, it fell on the ground like it is supposed to. I'll take the safety of the synthetic cable any day. The Viper elite have the wireless remote that is a very handy feature!

·
Registered
668 Posts
10-4 murph safety any day over the killer steel cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts