Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max XDS Turbo R
199 Posts
Glad your okay.

If you don't like technical dunes then Amargosa is not for you! Super sharp transitions on both the top and bottom of the dunes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dune driving is different than other stuff. You cannot crest anything. You have to ride the ridge and transition to next dune, never straight over.
Yep. Also be cautious during midday when there are no shadows and keep an eye out for witches eyes aka bathtubs!

If you do that it's a blast especially when it's smooth. I remember the first time I heard my paddles buzzing on fresh sand. :unsure: I actually stopped to check over my sandrail! Doh!!

Over Thanksgiving a guy rolled a popo from the top of comp at Dumont. Someone said it was about 20 rolls. No injuries!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm contemplating buying yard flags, the little colored flags you put in the yard for maintenance that are neon colored. Go drive a lap and plant safe green flags and then rip it afterwards.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dune driving is different than other stuff. You cannot crest anything. You have to ride the ridge and transition to next dune, never straight over.
You also need to follow the wind pattern. In Oregon for example, you are generally safe going south/north because the wind goes east. It's the opposite side of the wind that makes the drops.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You also need to follow the wind pattern. In Oregon for example, you are generally safe going south/north because the wind goes east. It's the opposite side of the wind that makes the drops.
I had one trip out at Coral Pink and it seemed to be the same way. The slip faces were all in the same direction.

We were out during midday and I stopped at the top of a dune and couldn't see the drop off right away. No shadows to help navigate....not to mention the baby powder sand.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts