Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
Glad your ok, now post some exterior carriage pics, did you have guests and a-arms?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The orange a arm and the front bumper, both very expensive, paid big dividends. Back in April that same damn hole was smaller but bent the stock a arm. When I stopped in the wreck I was convinced that I’d seriously trashed the rig and bent up the frame. While I was in serious pain, I was relieved. So, we kept riding!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
wow shocked you didn't have any damage!

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
I would suspect there is , either frame cracks at the a arm pivot points and even possibly the radiator and fan. The front end flexed enough to brake the front plastics you can see that when he lifted up on it.

I did very much the same thing , same kind of impact and I had a gusset kit and shock tower brace. I had alot of damage to mine.

In these last 2 pics you can see how the shock tower brace moved.

Broke both ball joints as well .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would suspect there is , either frame cracks at the a arm pivot points and even possibly the radiator and fan. The front end flexed enough to brake the front plastics you can see that when he lifted up on it.
Damn, yeah I'll check mine a bit closer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little background about this crash etc.

This was my 3rd visit to Mattawa with the CanAm. I've ridden bikes there at least 20 times. The area has rock canyon, desert scrub, and a dune area that is where the accident/filming occurred.
Having been injured in dunes on dirt bikes before, I usually will ride very carefully an area to find any razorback windswept areas first before riding more aggressively. This area has very active dunes, they are numerous and very technical, reminds me of Florence Oregon in that regard which is dangerous.

I had just done an entire sweep of the area and was now coming back to a fun hill climb and I managed to forget this little sand whole at the base of the hill. This is very very well camouflaged by the sand and slope, virtually invisible. Oddly enough, I'd crashed into this thing from the same direction in April, causing a bend in the stock A arm. But that time going much slower and the fall wasn't as big.

For anyone that hasn't ever been to a dune area, I strongly urge you to be extremely cautious in your first few hours, day of riding. I recall the first motorcycle day on the dunes years ago having about 20 crashes. Vehicles, especially motorcycles, behave very differently in sand. Also, with a direct entry into sand, your impact is identical to a tree/rock. It ain't gonna move, but your body will... I tore both shoulders in moto accidents in Florence. Took 3 years to recover 90ish percent. The danger of sand riding is so much so that Oregon requires an ORV test/license that educates people about the dangers of sand dunes.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The crazy thing was seeing the headlights pointed at the ground before impact.

Dunes scare the hell out of me for this exact reason. I only go once in a while and when I do I get in line behind an experienced leader.

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
The orange a arm and the front bumper, both very expensive, paid big dividends. Back in April that same damn hole was smaller but bent the stock a arm. When I stopped in the wreck I was convinced that I’d seriously trashed the rig and bent up the frame. While I was in serious pain, I was relieved. So, we kept riding!
The hole/drop off has bit you twice. You are very lucky that was not much worse.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Wait a minute...you hit that same hole TWICE?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wait a minute...you hit that same hole TWICE?
Yup, was out there in April in my Marlboro Men video and wound up hitting that with a passenger. We were going slower and the hole wasn't quite as deep. That crash bent the upper A arm a bit. Turns out, my upper A arm is again a bit bent and needs to be replaced after taking a closer look at it today. We're going to replace those with some $$$ parts. My rig currently has the CT Race Worx A arm and front bumper, think we're going with their upper A arm. Bottom line I'm either quitting the sport or I'm going all out balls to the walls hard core.... putt putting around for starbucks coffee with a a wannabee ride just isn't what I do.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
wait.. they have a starbucks at your dunes?!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I doubt Gordon’s sxs will handle that hole much different, but if you leave the x3 for that please hit that hole and let us know how it fared. I’m curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts