Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you switch into 4wd on the fly ?? for example, If your climbing a dune and you know your not going to make it, can you switch into 4wd ?? Or. . . . do you have to slow down to a certain speed or certain RPM ??? OR. . . .is it just not reccomended. . . . .

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I think that info will be in your owners manual

·
Registered
400 Posts
outlanders and commanders can shift in and out of 4wheel drive if no throttle acceleration, assume so can mavericks, can shift in and out uphill and downhill as long as no throttle, do all time never a problem, manual will tell you not to do it

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I drive in 4wd most of the time anyways

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
If both front and rear tires are going the same speed and best if no load on the drivetrain just let off the gas and wait till the 4x4 lights up then hammer down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
does it matter if you are moving forward or backward?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Says in the manual to come to a complete stop before switching between 2/4wd, but as long as the tires aren't spinning, I have been doing mine while moving.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Canam has to put that in the manual to cover there butts from idiots that try and put it in 4x4 at the same time the rear wheels are spinning wot!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Never had a problem shifting in or out of 4wh wish could shift hi/low same way

·
Registered
266 Posts
Even if you are in 2 wd and have it floored. Than switch it to 4 wd drive the computer will not switch it in 2 wd till you let off the throttle . Although I never tried it going up a hill or when my rear tires where spinning I have tried it going down logging roads at a constant speed.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Lol I've been putting it in 4x4 on the fly since 2006 with the outlander same trans and 4x4 system for over 8000 miles and 3500 miles with a commander not one clunk or problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1 - 19 of 19 Posts