Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I have the BUDS software so I added the upgraded power steering unit without changing anything on the ECU. I have put about 500 miles on the new steering unit without updating the software and it performs so much better than the low torque unit . So anyone who wants to do this upgrade it will work without going to the dealer.
Do you have a RC or 2018 X3? When I did my upgrade to the 2019 power steering unit they had to flash my ECU to use the new unit. I believe they put in the software for an RC for the power steering unit.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
Do you have a RC or 2018 X3? When I did my upgrade to the 2019 power steering unit they had to flash my ECU to use the new unit. I believe they put in the software for an RC for the power steering unit.
No I bought the early 18 X3 xrs before I found out that they were coming out with smart lock and high Power, steering units. When I upgraded to the smart lock diff I got the ECU updates loaded on my computer but never updated my ECU and the smart lock showed up on the dash and the power steering worked much better than the low power it replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Following.... Let me know what you come up with, I have a 19 RC and it failed on a ride. I didn't hit anything and the check engine light came on. Says DPS Failure. Dealer says out of warranty and its still under 500 miles. They want 1600 to fix it. For that money Id rather buy something that wont break again.
Sorry for the delay. Heres the scoop of this piece of crap unit that failed

I also have a 2019 RC, I also didnt hit anything. What a piece of junk. I brought it to the dealer, they tried to submit a claim to warranty under "good will" warranty or something since mine just expired in November. However can am of course denied the claim.

Went shopping online to try to buy a used 19 DPS model with smart lock...no one was selling a used model.

Every where I looked, the price was $1200 just for the unit...I got really LUCKY, check partzilla it was on sale!!! $850 for a new unit. Purchased instantly.

Just swapped in the unit my self, pretty easy but extremely annoying to swap (unless you're one of those circus attractions that enjoy contorting yourself into a small box) since the unit is all underneath of the dash.

There are two punch bolts that need to be undone, on each side of the DPS unit that connect the universal joints to the splines. After that, just undo the one bolt that connect the tilt steering, and the two bolts that hold the steering shaft to the dash area. Then just 3 bolts hold onto the back of the DPS unit.

These bolts were a PITA!! They are thread locked with some heavy duty threadlocker. Get a small impact! lol (13mm bolt heads, thought I found that 1/2 socket actually fit tighter!)

After that I just dropped it off at the dealer...they still had to reflash the ECU. (im literally sitting at the dealer now waiting for them to reflash/calibrate)

Thanks yall!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I guess I’m cheap. I got a almost new 2019 ( less than 300 miles on it) high torque power steering unit off eBay for $350.
That seems odd, whats the part number? These are usually $1200 units. Might want to bench test it before installing. Or did you already?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have the BUDS software so I added the upgraded power steering unit without changing anything on the ECU. I have put about 500 miles on the new steering unit without updating the software and it performs so much better than the low torque unit . So anyone who wants to do this upgrade it will work without going to the dealer.
lol I must be doing something wrong. so mine was a 2019 model, but it def had a 2018 DPS unit under the dash. Just swapped with 2019 DPS unit (Can-Am 709402428 - Power Steering Ass'y : Fox Powersports Can-Am Partshouse) and I had to just drop it off at the dealer for the calibration and ECU reset.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ohhh
I have a 2018 that came with the low torque I replaced it with a 2019 high torque
709 402 313 and it still works perfectly without updating my ECM.
Ohhh, when I looked up the part, since I have a turbo R (xrc) with smart lock, the 2428 part number was the only thing that came up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You already had high torque ps unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it was def a high torque model already but the part number ended in
which is a 2018 part number

When I look up the 2019 part number it was new (2428), not sure if they made any improvement...or maybe not. But I figured new is better.

I’m going to compare it with my brother XRC, we have the same model. I’ll let you guys know...

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I could be wrong but I think in 2019 all came with high torque ps except maybe the base model. I’m not sure on 2020 models .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I could be wrong but I think in 2019 all came with high torque ps except maybe the base model. I’m not sure on 2020 models .
I am pretty sure that is correct, but there is no hard copy I have found anywhere listing the features each late model came with.

Does anyone know if there is an archive for complete year model features anywhere?

I don’t believe there is a wiki with that info either which was surprising.

Have been able to find spec sheets of select late models, but have not found each years whole lineup broken down by avalible feature set included, or mid year changes, which I think there is at least 1 in the "2018.5" XRS?

Did anyone happen to keep screenshots from BRP on the different year lineups and feature sets?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts