Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2019, x3 XRC Turbo R (with smart lock diff). I tipped my machine over (pretty gentle tip over) and since then the power steering is completely gone. I have followed the service manual and tested all the power connections, so the power is good. Brought it to the dealership and they've informed me the DPS unit needs to be replaced. The part itself is $1200!?! Thats insane to me but I guess you gotta pay to play.

My question is, has anyone else had this experience? There was no damage to the steering rack, or unit, it literally just failed. My machine is out of warranty (just 30 days ago of course...) - I did do some searching on the forums and there are only two other threads about this. 1, no one really responded to, and the other the dealer replaced it under warranty.

I would love to replace the part with an aftermarket DPS but I cannot seem to find any. Im trying to see if this is a common problem for you guys that are racing them, or if maybe the new DPS unit is faulty (its a smaller more compact form I think they just recently began using).

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
IMO, you should look at the Shock Therapy steering rack. Pricey, but worth it. Talk to Craig, he sells them at a good price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO, you should look at the Shock Therapy steering rack. Pricey, but worth it. Talk to Craig, he sells them at a good price.
That thing looks awesome, but I think it still utilizes that stock DPS unit. I read it can over heat and shut off, but mine is dead dead

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I’ve seen a few fail and two of them I literally saw fail myself. Well they didn’t fail immediately but later that day . They would hits stuff repeatedly I was driving behind them and thought these people must have passed out lol. Ps unit failed in both circumstances. It was from abuse not faulty. I have seen any fail from being crappy. We’ve have guys in our group with over 10,0000 miles on 18 models and over 5-6000 on 19-20 models. With no failures . Get epower steering and call it a day. You will have to relocate the smart lock box but other than that easy install. Many posts about it. Contact craig on here he is a vendor and excellent to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
It is compatible, you have to move the smart lock box but other than that it’s just like the others

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Your only aftermarket choice is the E-steer and there is no need to go that route. The 2019 power steering unit is good. That is what I put in my 2018 X3. Might even just get the 2020 power steering unit if it has been upgraded power wise over the 2019 units.

Check with Rock Mountain on pricing as it is under $1200.00. See if the dealer will match the price or come close.

Also check with Chaparral Motorsports as they have really good prices on OEM parts and might beat Rocky Mountains pricing. They stock a lot of parts.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
That rack is nice, but man is it pricey. I think I rather just replace with an OEM rack.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
He doesn’t need a rack right ? Did I read it wrong?

You read it correctly. He just needs a new power steering unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following.... Let me know what you come up with, I have a 19 RC and it failed on a ride. I didn't hit anything and the check engine light came on. Says DPS Failure. Dealer says out of warranty and its still under 500 miles. They want 1600 to fix it. For that money Id rather buy something that wont break again.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I guess I’m cheap. I got a almost new 2019 ( less than 300 miles on it) high torque power steering unit off eBay for $350.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I guess I’m cheap. I got a almost new 2019 ( less than 300 miles on it) high torque power steering unit off eBay for $350.
I would say you are capable of installing. That might be a problem for some. Damn that a good price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Being electric/electronic and pinch or nick in the wires as well as the fuses and controls box

Unfortunately troubleshooting isn’t as fun as riding Good luck count to 10 place the hammers far away

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
You scored a nice deal. It is easy to install. Just might have to go to the dealer for them to flash the ECU so it will recognize and work with the new power steering unit.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
You scored a nice deal. It is easy to install. Just might have to go to the dealer for them to flash the ECU so it will recognize and work with the new power steering unit.
I have the BUDS software so I added the upgraded power steering unit without changing anything on the ECU. I have put about 500 miles on the new steering unit without updating the software and it performs so much better than the low torque unit . So anyone who wants to do this upgrade it will work without going to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts