Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the Maverick with a 2021 X3 XRS RR. I've done all the basic upgrades for gussets and suspension, so now my question is, do I need a clutch housing liner or a belt temp gauge? I was looking at the Dirtbag carbon liner, but wondering what you have seen work best to protect the housing. Thanks. Ken

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Depends if you're a belt breaker, either would work. Go with the liner.

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends if you're a belt breaker, either would work. Go with the liner.
Thank you for the feedback. So I came off a RZR and never broke a belt, just want to be prepared. I have a spare, just in case. I've head if you know the temp, you may never blow a belt. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. So I came off a RZR and never broke a belt, just want to be prepared. I have a spare, just in case. I've head if you know the temp, you may never blow a belt. Thanks again!
The liner "should" keep the plastic casing / cover intact. Key the word "should" LOL!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Keep in mind if you need to remove the carbon liner that you will have to remove the temp sender for the belt temp gage to do so. I had the carbon liner and could not get my belt off with the liner installed. I opted for the aluminum housing and all is good.

·
Registered
437 Posts
More than a few folks have broken their housings WITH an aluminum liner installed.

I have a temp gauge, which I like,, but it's not going to keep you from braking a belt, thus it won't keep you from braking your housing.

I think I'm going to go with the Dirbag liner,,, but didn't think about the clearance issue of the liner and the gauge. :rolleyes: I'm sure I could come up with a work-around,,, but...

If you don't currently have a temp gauge,,, I would just go with the Dirtbag liner. I've read/seen some pretty good things about them,,, and nothing bad other than belt change difficulty due to reduced clearance.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
More than a few folks have broken their housings WITH an aluminum liner installed.

I have a temp gauge, which I like,, but it's not going to keep you from braking a belt, thus it won't keep you from braking your housing.

I think I'm going to go with the Dirbag liner,,, but didn't think about the clearance issue of the liner and the gauge. :rolleyes: I'm sure I could come up with a work-around,,, but...

If you don't currently have a temp gauge,,, I would just go with the Dirtbag liner. I've read/seen some pretty good things about them,,, and nothing bad other than belt change difficulty due to reduced clearance.
Are they still really expensive?

·
Premium Member
7,823 Posts
The liners break too, and then just make it more difficult to work on. A belt temp gauge does nothing for when a belt gets stretched and then snaps. My vote is for neither the liner or the gauge.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Inner clutch cover is under $140.00. Not to hard to replace if you break one. If you are going to do a liner I would just get the aluminum one. I found one on Amazon for pretty cheap. I think it was under $90.00.

As to the belt temp gauge that is personal choice. I do not run one as I do not want to drive based on belt temps. I drive and if my belt goes it goes. I have taken out 3 belts of which two were more than likely do to worn out clutch faces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts