Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there my I have a 2020 can am xrc turbo rr. My rear brake pads wore out excessively fast and not evenly. My question is for replacement pads would you go with the oem pads or do you have other pads you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
How many miles? Are you riding in mud holes?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know I would have to check but I'm just looking for brake pad options.

I ride trails so dirt and some water no mud

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I got 1100 miles on oem pass first time. Went to ebc severe duty because half the price and got about 1k miles . This is in muddy ky and tenn. Now if you getting less than that on pads with no mud it’s either you stay on the brakes or you have a caliper issue. Tears will wear out before fronts. I know seems weird to me too. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
The mud and junk while eat them off. Plus you don’t have mountains you have sand. In tenn for the most part trails are either up the mountain or down the mountain . Hell I thought 1100 was good on a set of pads. Lol all my old rzrs was about 500 tops then pads would be gone.

Down the mountain lol

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Same here, pads wear quick on the trails I ride in Wellsville, Kentucky and WV. The EBC R series have proven to be the longest lasting for me.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Over the last 3200 miles in west va, I get about 600-700 miles out of my rear pads and about 1000-1200 out of my front pads. I use ebc sintered pads. Odd that it’s always the rears that wear the most, but mine has always done that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just started on my third set of brake pads - consistently get 12,000+ miles out of a set.

That’s desert and mountain riding that avoids mud and water as much as possible - brakes get used the hardest when a mud or water puddle is spotted up ahead.

If you’re just cruising trails, SOMETHING is wrong if you’re getting sub-1,000 miles out of set - if your plowing mud, you’re doing GREAT!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
wow, you boys sure use the brakes alot. i have 5000 miles on a set with lots of pad to go.
Just started on my third set of brake pads - consistently get 12,000+ miles out of a set.
That’s desert and mountain riding that avoids mud and water as much as possible - brakes get used the hardest when a mud or water puddle is spotted up ahead.
If you’re just cruising trails, SOMETHING is wrong if you’re getting sub-1,000 miles out of set - if your plowing mud, you’re doing GREAT!
I also have over 5000 miles of desert riding on my oem pads with lots of brake pad left.

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I know you mud eaters back east live in a different world. The mud is like grinding compound on brake pads.

If you live or ride in very hilly terrain, do not ride the brakes hard all the way down the steep hills.
Try this, put it in low range before you descend. Burp the throttle to be sure the clutch is engaged.
You will get a LOT of "engine braking". On the steepest hills you may need to assist with light braking.

We have steep mountains out here too.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I always use low when it’s steep. Most of the time it’s still not enough. Leaves , wet rocks, and mud will speed you up very quickly. When I said mountains I wasn’t staring you didn’t have any, I was simply staring that’s all we have. Little to none flat ground and the trails keep mud on year around. Even during a so called drought. I’m good with 1k-1300 miles on a set of pads. Best I’ve ever got on any machine I’ve ever owned since 2009 . Seven different machines. I would line to think I’m very experienced in a sxs. Only thing I haven’t rode in one is the dunes . Hell when we came back from moab the first time I didn’t even half to clean it. I was so amazed. 5 minutes on the trails here and it’s busy out the pressure washer.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yep, different world. I rode there in a chain drive rail, so I know what you are talking about.
You should try bolted tires. :D

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
My dad had one when I was younger with bolted tires. With hand brakes that thing was almost unstoppable on any hill. Vw motor. He also did the paddled tires on his rm 500 hill climbs. You know the ones with spotters with a rope with a hook on it. Mom did for awhile on a old fat cat 80. She is tiny.

·
Registered
2019 x3 Xrs
19 Posts
I replaced OEM rear pads ~ 2000 miles, I replaced with Race driven pads and they lasted around 1 or 2 rides. So just don't go with Race Driven.

Reactions: bshep604

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I agree the Race driven pads are a complete waste of money. They don't last or stop the X3 well at all. This is a perfect example of you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know you mud eaters back east live in a different world. The mud is like grinding compound on brake pads.

If you live or ride in very hilly terrain, do not ride the brakes hard all the way down the steep hills.
Try this, put it in low range before you descend. Burp the throttle to be sure the clutch is engaged.
You will get a LOT of "engine braking". On the steepest hills you may need to assist with light braking.

We have steep mountains out here too.
Here in Oklahoma, we do a lot of river, mud, sand, you name it, and hard...I just replaced rears with 1,000 miles on them almost no material left..caught them just in time..I actually was just going to grease the wheel bearings and ended up saving the rotors from damage

·
Registered
51 Posts
Southeast KY here.
3K on oem. Bought EBC, but dont remember which one. Went thru them in about 600 miles.
Actually had to put another set of those on rear because I had to have a set now.
But I sure won't buy another set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts