Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably opening up a sh*tstorm, but when in the market for a new/late-model 2-seat SxS, how did you choose a Can-Am over a Polaris RZR (or a Honda Talon or a Yamaha YXZ or a Kawasaki Teryx)? From what I gather, the only two real choices for a performance SxS are the Maverick and the RZR, but I'm curious as to why folks picked the Can-Am over one of the other brands. Specifically, was it features, comfort, reliability, overall performance, or some combination of all of the above? Or was it something else?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have never been a RZR fan however when they came out with the electronic ride suspension it did perk an interest however the cramped interior and body style has not changed much so I moved on. The YXZ had my interest for awhile however with the gearing not being conducive to east coast trail riding and the unsafe roll cage I moved on. As far as the Honda and Kaw I had already bought my X3. I do like them both however I would still have picked the X3. My view is pick what you like and go for it. They are all good machines and all have there short comings. I have owned a Can am Commander and put so much money into it and it still fell short so I went out and bought a Wildcat 1000X. Dumped a lot of cash into it to, then the X3 came out and I left them behind. Wana buy a turbo charged Wildcat X. lol

It all comes down to you pay's your money's and you take's your chance's lol!

Good luck with your search and my vote would be the X3

·
Registered
331 Posts
Have had skidoos for many many years. So I was familiar with can am from there.

It all started with my Hummer h2 I had, I ended up trading it for an og mav xmr a few years ago. I had that 2 seasons and decided I wanted something newer and mainly quieter than my xmr was. I was happy with my og and based on my past experience with skidoo and my local dealer I decided that I would get an x3 to replace it. Never been a fan of Polaris and Honda didn't have a performance sxs when I got the x3. I used to bleed Honda with 250r's and still have my 400ex. Also have the rancher that my wife used to ride and I use to plow.

Been happy with it so far, have 1500+ miles on it since May of this year. Have a big ride planned for next year and even thinking about a long weekend riding it instead of the snowmobiles this winter. It has been a game changer in my activities. I used to eat sleep and breathe snowmobiles and have slowly been converting now.

I'm even contemplating a defender somehow. Would like to get tracks with it and use it on the lake.

Steve

·
Registered
334 Posts
My story of how I started with brp is I went with a summit, a friend went with a new rmk. His sled fell apart (multiple things) and was totaled around 600 -700 miles on it after finding a shark, I sold mine with getting 2 seasons where I really stacked up some miles for sled riding. This lead me to picking a 15 xds T over a rzr, and with my experience in that it was really easy to go with the x3 that I am currently in. If i was to get another on tomorrow it would be one of the maverick sports with the SL as I think it would do really well in the hills.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I first had a Rhino then an OG Maverick. After 6000 miles on the OG I started thinking about something newer and faster. The X3 seemed like a big jump so I looked around. I really liked the Polaris RS1 when it came out. Looked at the Turbo S, too. Just didn't do it for me. Then I looked at the Textron XX. Well built machine, weak suspension and no turbo. Looked at the YXZ paddle shifter for a while then decided if I really wanted a faster machine I had no choice but to get an X3 Turbo R. Got a 2018 XDS and couldn't be happier with my choice. Easy to drive, predictable and did I say fast? Cannot describe it to someone that has never drove a top tier SXS.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It looks like Honda really tried hard to bring an exceptional SxS to the market, but they didn't offer a turbo, so I'm focusing on the Can Am X3 when I'm ready to do my upgrade from the original Maverick.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I first had a Rhino then an OG Maverick. After 6000 miles on the OG I started thinking about something newer and faster. The X3 seemed like a big jump so I looked around. I really liked the Polaris RS1 when it came out. Looked at the Turbo S, too. Just didn't do it for me. Then I looked at the Textron XX. Well built machine, weak suspension and no turbo. Looked at the YXZ paddle shifter for a while then decided if I really wanted a faster machine I had no choice but to get an X3 Turbo R. Got a 2018 XDS and couldn't be happier with my choice. Easy to drive, predictable and did I say fast? Cannot describe it to someone that has never drove a top tier SXS.
Thanks for an excellent description of your progression. That is SO COOL that you put 6000 miles on your OG Maverick. Mine has only 846 miles. That's why I'm torn because I want to put some more mileage on it before I move to an XDS Turbo R.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
It looks like Honda really tried hard to bring an exceptional SxS to the market, but they didn't offer a turbo, so I'm focusing on the Can Am X3 when I'm ready to do my upgrade from the original Maverick.
Jackson Racing is working hand and hand with Honda with their turbo. Installed by a dealer, you retain full warranty.

·
Registered
216 Posts
@Hollywood X3, Thats really good to know and this is my first post from my phone. Usually im on my PC but i realized its fun to check whats happening when im away from home like on an offroading trip. Now one day i may post here and say HELP im lost o_O

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow - lots of different stories there, thanks for sharing! However, I was also looking for specific info on why one brand or model may be better than another, like the CVT's are crap, go with the Honda, or the turbos explode on the Can-Am's and have to be replaced every 5k miles, etc, etc.

Anybody have any info/advice on stuff like that?

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Wow - lots of different stories there, thanks for sharing! However, I was also looking for specific info on why one brand or model may be better than another, like the CVT's are crap, go with the Honda, or the turbos explode on the Can-Am's and have to be replaced every 5k miles, etc, etc.

You ask the weirdest questions. You could do some research with google and see all the problems any machine has. You have another thread asking about insurance, asking how much insurance goes up after you total one. What gives ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts

Steven, I have found (through forums and first hand experience) that CVT's are prone to breakage if you ride really hard (highest RPM's) in the dunes, which require high RPM's. But they can last a long time in all-terrain conditions. I would not make a buying decision purely on which SxS has a CVT and which doesn't. Sure the Honda looks attractive without a CVT, but I feel the jury is still out on how their transmission/clutch holds up over time, plus how other components hold up, because I don't think many people have purchased them yet. Regarding the Yamaha YXZ 1000r, someone else will have to comment on it technically because I honestly don't like how it looks, and will never buy one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You ask the weirdest questions. You could do some research with google and see all the problems any machine has. You have another thread asking about insurance, asking how much insurance goes up after you total one. What gives ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, I could just do a Google search, but I figured if I came to a model-specific forum like this, I could get more accurate info. And someone else may have added the insurance question to a thread I started, but I never asked that question myself. What I'm looking for are specific problem areas that riders may have encountered on the Can-Ams, and if there had been riders that had switched to Can-Am from another brand (and if so, what reasons did they have for switching).

Assuming I'm purchasing new, I just want to be sure I'm making the right choice if I'm plunking down $20k+ on a SxS. I think they're probably all good rigs though - as one member mentioned already, it's probably like Ford vs. Chevy though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steven, I have found (through forums and first hand experience) that CVT's are prone to breakage if you ride really hard (highest RPM's) in the dunes, which require high RPM's. But they can last a long time in all-terrain conditions. I would not make a buying decision purely on which SxS has a CVT and which doesn't. Sure the Honda looks attractive without a CVT, but I feel the jury is still out on how their transmission/clutch holds up over time, plus how other components hold up, because I don't think many people have purchased them yet. Regarding the Yamaha YXZ 1000r, someone else will have to comment on it technically because I honestly don't like how it looks, and will never buy one.
Thanks - that's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. The CVT is probably the simpler (i.e. cheaper) of the two to work on as well I assume? I'd heard that you can do a belt swap yourself on those, but I wasn't sure if that's truly the case and/or if you need special tools to do it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks - that's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. The CVT is probably the simpler (i.e. cheaper) of the two to work on as well I assume? I'd heard that you can do a belt swap yourself on those, but I wasn't sure if that's truly the case and/or if you need special tools to do it.
Sure, people can learn how to do their own belt swap. There are multiple Youtube videos. It's easier on an X3 than it is on my XC 1000R.

Let me also add that in my humble non-mechanic opinion, I think that CVT's have more torque and are more responsive on performance. I don't have a turbo, and I have NEVER been stuck in a bowl, wash, or on any type of hill.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll check it out - thanks. I'm old school, and to me, CVT's are kind of an unknown quantity versus the standard automatics. But apples and oranges when comparing UTV's and automobiles I'd imagine. We drove a Talon (with a standard automatic transmission) for a couple of hours last summer down in Arizona during an adventure ride out in the desert, and it just seemed kinda clunky with the shifts. It did fine though - we never got stuck or anything, and we were definitely putting it through its' paces on all types of terrain out there. But, it's really hard to form an opinion on something like that without some extended time behind the wheel. Still, like you were saying, it seems like in the UTV world that the CVT may be the better choice longer-term.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got a Honda 1000 S Limited with 3,000 desert riding miles. Transmission makes shifting noises you just get used to and learn to throttle a bit. I think with more power it could be awesome in a sport rig. I rarely used the paddle shifters. They were clumsy when running hard but handy when hill climbing.

I'm just about giving a few models time to work bugs out before buying one. I'm happy as can be with my 2020 RR. I'm keeping eyes on the Honda see what they do. Always been a Honda guy. CBRs, XRs, lawnmowers and pressure washers have been in my Honda house. Just couldnt do a Talon. Not up to speed with what I wanted

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Copy my post from RZR thread.
I had an RZR and went to buy a new one because last time I had researched (2015/16) RZR's had the edge over Can Am for sport SxS. went to a dealership and saw the new X3's.
One of my biggest complaints with polaris was the front wheel feeling like it was in my lap.
Keeping my left leg bent while riding was not fun and always touching shoulders with whoever's was sitting next to me, felt like sardines in a can.
Yet I did not even want to think about tearing a mid engine car down on the trail to change a belt or deal with the heat in AZ from a motor sitting in the middle of a car.
When I saw Can Am's rear mounted engen, leg room and a wider cab I wanted it to be good.
I went home did hours of research looking at sites I trusted to give overall side by side comparisons of the RZR and X3.
Convinced Can Am had now gained the advantage over polaris (now confirmed) I pulled the trigger.

Each time I have people who are camping with us that ride in a RZR and go for a ride in my X3 (X3 XRS Max) with stock shocks the first thing they say is wow this thing is so smooth and the second is holly crap its fast! (Running stage 2 tune).
When and if Polaris comes out with a car that is significantly better and I am buying a car I would go with them. Not because they are polaris but that it would be the best value for my money.
However I would need to see a few years with good overall production and few if any recalls.
Say what you will, volume market leader..................yata yata yata, my friends with RZR's have more issues than my friends with X3's!
The list of friends with X3's just seems to keep growing while the RZR list keeps shrinking but I still have all the same friends.
Just look at the dunes and see how fare the pendulum has swung towards Can Am.
Novel finished.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts