Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Can AM Maverick Max Clutching

14K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Mav4Pak 
#1 ·
So Does anyone know if the Can Am Max will Have any change in the Clutch VS the Maverick 2 seater or the Quads. LOL. Im a huge Rotax Fan but the Crappy clutch in the Quads and now the Maverick and Soon to be Maverick MAX have me worried about buying the MAX. I want Turnkey Reliability and I don't want to worry about being stranded with my Girls out on some Ride in the middle of know where when the Clutching blows up or smokes the belts. Im on the fence and leaning more towards the POLARIS xp900 4 seater which I don't like much but all of our group runs them and beat the crap out of them with no issues. So yeah I guess I could buy the Maverick Max and then pull the Shitty clutch out and Go with the Stm or QSC or who ever but Damn I don't wanna turn wrenches on one. Im getting old and Lazy. I still have my Turboed Rotax SXS with the STM and it works Awesome but that whole setup cost some Coin. So lets see if Can AM steps Up and Makes it Good.

Reactions: Goose2 and salomon
#2 ·
with as cheap as a new clutch is if ur to worried its a easy fix! we spent tons more trying to make our other sxs's faster and cooler looking anyways , lol

so a clutch, tie rods and front arm gusset and your set no to shabby 4 a out of box machine !

#4 ·
^^^X2, Make it part of the deal, they should be able to give some credit for your stock unused clutch to put toward the QSC.

Change the primary and the tie rods and you have a solid machine. Or you could buy a POPO and have it nickel and dime you every week as long as you own it.

#5 ·
Honestly if your that old and lazy that you dont want to turn a wrench you probably shouldn't own a SxS. These things require a little attention. I understand and believe a man has to know his limitation's but sometimes a little wrench turning helps to know your machine. I also let the professionals do what they do best,but somethings are fairly simple and worth doing yourself. I say get it, put a new primary on it and drive the crap out of it.

#9 ·
The QSC primary is about $875, and the STM secondary is $575. However, you really only need to change the primary IMO

#11 ·
yes, its all bolt issues, from overtightening and breaking. From dealers over stretching to begin with and using loctite(which is said to act as a lubricant at high temps).

i would agree there has to be a fix, could the two sheeves be keyed together? if so, you still have the taper at the crank that would spin.

#13 ·
I used jb-weld and zip ties, I now have a 1 piece clutch and no more worries !

Reactions: Driller77
#14 ·
:haha:

#17 ·
There's a mav at my dealer with 8 miles and 2hrs on it and the primary bolt snapped off... Dealer told me canam was putting a bulletin up with a fix for this.. They didn't know what it was a couple days ago but maybe we'll all get recalls.

#22 ·
How is Can Am ever going to put a dent in Pooolaris sales with a reputation of exploding cvt systems??? I'm happy with my choice, and I really don't mind the hassle and cost to replace the primary in order to not buy a Pooolaris! But the average consumer doesn't think that way.

#23 ·
There not. Pooolaris is already too wide spread because they offer a wider range of choices. It will be even worse when the new 120 hp car comes out shortly.

#26 ·
All I want is a new UTV that does not require me to spend money to fix something that should never have been that way in the 1st place. You would not put up with that from Ford, Chevrolet or Toyota when you buy a new car. Why would you out up with that on something that you spent the same if not more on than a car? That's why I find it hilarious when people come on and start bitching about the clutch. Do you research like Glamisfan did and go in with your eyes open. Accept the risk and live with the outcome....

Reactions: Turbulence
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.