Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Does anyone know if the Can Am Max will Have any change in the Clutch VS the Maverick 2 seater or the Quads. LOL. Im a huge Rotax Fan but the Crappy clutch in the Quads and now the Maverick and Soon to be Maverick MAX have me worried about buying the MAX. I want Turnkey Reliability and I don't want to worry about being stranded with my Girls out on some Ride in the middle of know where when the Clutching blows up or smokes the belts. Im on the fence and leaning more towards the POLARIS xp900 4 seater which I don't like much but all of our group runs them and beat the crap out of them with no issues. So yeah I guess I could buy the Maverick Max and then pull the Shitty clutch out and Go with the Stm or QSC or who ever but Damn I don't wanna turn wrenches on one. Im getting old and Lazy. I still have my Turboed Rotax SXS with the STM and it works Awesome but that whole setup cost some Coin. So lets see if Can AM steps Up and Makes it Good.

Reactions: Goose2 and salomon

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
with as cheap as a new clutch is if ur to worried its a easy fix! we spent tons more trying to make our other sxs's faster and cooler looking anyways , lol

so a clutch, tie rods and front arm gusset and your set no to shabby 4 a out of box machine !

·
Registered
791 Posts
Work a deal with the dealer to have them put the QSC on before you even bring it home.
^^^X2, Make it part of the deal, they should be able to give some credit for your stock unused clutch to put toward the QSC.

Change the primary and the tie rods and you have a solid machine. Or you could buy a POPO and have it nickel and dime you every week as long as you own it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Honestly if your that old and lazy that you dont want to turn a wrench you probably shouldn't own a SxS. These things require a little attention. I understand and believe a man has to know his limitation's but sometimes a little wrench turning helps to know your machine. I also let the professionals do what they do best,but somethings are fairly simple and worth doing yourself. I say get it, put a new primary on it and drive the crap out of it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
so how much for the primary and secondary?
The QSC primary is about $875, and the STM secondary is $575. However, you really only need to change the primary IMO

·
Vendor
594 Posts
WHats the beef with the stock clutch? Just a few had issues and dealers replacing them incorrectly making them repeat the same issue is not really the clutches problem.

Todd

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
WHats the beef with the stock clutch? Just a few had issues and dealers replacing them incorrectly making them repeat the same issue is not really the clutches problem.

Todd

yes, its all bolt issues, from overtightening and breaking. From dealers over stretching to begin with and using loctite(which is said to act as a lubricant at high temps).

i would agree there has to be a fix, could the two sheeves be keyed together? if so, you still have the taper at the crank that would spin.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts

Todd
Do some research on the commander forums. Go back for the last couple years and check out the threads on the various problems with the primary. That's what I did when the Maverick was announced, so I knew what I was getting into before I bought it. I think it's also been a problem with the 1000cc quads for a couple years before that. Then ask everyone that had the bolt break, and take out the entire CVT system what the beef is! . Primary is a worthless POS. It also burns the belt as half of the sheave slips. At $150 a pop for the belt, an aftermarket primary will pay for itself in probably three or four years.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I used jb-weld and zip ties, I now have a 1 piece clutch and no more worries !

Reactions: Driller77

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

Todd
More than 1 has blown on here that had the factory installed clutch so not just dealers doing it wrong although I think those were the majority. I only personally know one person who had his blow up but his recall was done by the dealer and he popped it on Oldsmobile so he might have been pushing it. Even though that's not really an excuse.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
There's a mav at my dealer with 8 miles and 2hrs on it and the primary bolt snapped off... Dealer told me canam was putting a bulletin up with a fix for this.. They didn't know what it was a couple days ago but maybe we'll all get recalls.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
?
Does can am sell this primary or is it aftermarket? Why would you only put in primary?
They are aftermarket clutches. The only problems with Can-am clutches are with the primary. So you really only need to change that one. Changing the secondary is a smaller improvement so most people dont do it because its not a problem.

Do a search on here for more cluctch info.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
There's a mav at my dealer with 8 miles and 2hrs on it and the primary bolt snapped off... Dealer told me canam was putting a bulletin up with a fix for this.. They didn't know what it was a couple days ago but maybe we'll all get recalls.
Hahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!! And so it starts again. But this is prolly an isolated incident, right!!!!!! Not!!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm shaking my head how you Can Am! Get your head out of your ass!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts