Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Can Am Maverick FINISHES 3rd at the Baja 1000

8K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  Wyoming 
#1 ·
">>> UN OFFICIAL <<<" of course - but based off all reports and tracker info I can find...

The #1904 Can Am Maverick driven by Cory Sappington finishes 3rd at the 2013 Baja 1000. The UTV class of 19 was the third largest class with total entries of 279 including UTV's, bikes, ATVs, cars and trucks. Finishing first in class 19 was the 1934 of Scott Kiger, second was the 1932 of Matt Parks, both driving xp1s.

The race is still going on for a few more hours, and expect more cars to finish.
More stories will be coming.

Congratulations Cory.

RIP Kurt Caselli

#9 ·
The latest and greatest clutch recommended by race manager is stock primary with STM secondary- no engine brake.

#10 ·
Look closely at the Sharpie marks that I put on it the day I got my Max and you can see how far they have moved now on the Primary. Wheel Auto part Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system Rim

#11 ·
that's normal there slippery washers its gonna move

#13 ·
Congrats on the 3rd place.

#17 ·
mega, let me clarify, we are all aware of the issues, what I am saying is, if the factory engineers can provide info to a race team to make the factory clutch system almost bullet prof, as stated above why can this info not be shared with the customer base for implementation on our units? Hope that clarifies my statement, I was in a hurry to catch the Cardinal game so may not have been clear.
And since Airdam made that statement, I for one would see no reason to doubt it. You are a local so you know the Baja is no walk in the park, if it would work there, whatever the secret is, it would surely work for the rest of us.
Where do you do most of your riding?

#18 ·
BRP race team will hold on to their info and my guess we will see a revised clutch in future models. But there is no way in hell they will release any info to the public. They race to prove new parts and put them in new models, this way we have to buy a new unit to get the better stuff. BRP/CanAm has lost all respect with me, they can eat a high hard one. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for almost a year and i still have issues and now they will not cover them. Fawk BRP

i ride Glamis only in my maverick but, i ride Happy Jack area, and some local desert in my Teryx4. Look out for a few dates of X-mas light tours in the eastvalley in sxs's, i think its my 6th year and we usually have a dozen sxs.

#20 ·
It sure would be nice if somebody in the Phoenix area would run over and talk to Cory Sappington and find out if he's using the stock primary for sure, what he's done to make it better, how many belts he had to change during the Baja race, and any other pertinent information that would help fellow stock clutch Maverick owners out.

#21 ·
I am sure they are running a CVT blower setup as well....this will help any clutch setup keep the belt temps in control...

#22 ·
We run STM clutches but have the info on what BRP engineering says to do with the stock clutch...will get and post for ya..

#23 ·
You guys are awesome!! Thanks for helping.

#26 ·
yes, thanks!

#28 ·
can't wait!

#37 ·
Ok guys... sorry it took me a couple of days to get things confirmed by BRP race dept...

the ideal setup using a stock clutch is as follows...

Factory Primary 40 deg Helix
API Gold Spring (PS13)

and if you stayed with the stock primary but to be the most ideal in reliability... go with the STM secondary that is use in conjunction with the Stock primary...

We have the options to go with all STM.. factory Primary/secondary and Factory Primary/Special STM secondary... We too run an auxilary Fan blower and a very inexpensive Temp gauge that monitors the exhaust temp at the back of the clutch cover...we never temps over 200 deg any more and not blown a belt in over a year.

#41 ·
sorry but just want to clarify that what you are saying above is a factory primary with original weights and spring and the stock secondary with a 40 deg helix and API gold spring. Or were you saying stock primary and STM secondary with 40 deg helix and API gold spring?

#38 ·
Michael they dont say anything about using some kind of valve seat compound to make sure the two halves of the primary are seating correctly?

#39 ·
Simon didnt mention anything specifically about it...and now he's gone for a week for vacation...so no way I can ask until a couple of weeks...others may know tho.

#40 ·
there was some papers going around to the dealers for them to use compound or something

#45 ·
To my knowledge the notch is the only difference.

I'm just not sure the one way bearing in the factory primary was compatible with the EB helix in the STM secondary and I didn't want to be the test dummy.

It's my understanding none of the teams use EB and definitely not with the stock primary.

The reason why the race teams went back to the factory primaries is bc there were failures with both STM and QSC primaries during races. When I say failures I mean actual mechanical failures with the primaries not blown belts. The stock primary is strong and doesn't fail it just doesn't perform as well. I assume their thinking was you can blow a belt and change it in an endurance race, but if your clutch is in pieces there isn't much you can do....

#46 ·
Doesn't matter what place you are in if you can't finish the race! So when you say the race teams had failures.....are you referring to high speed endurance races or did some of the woods racers and short course racers also experience failures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.