Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up this morning and the wife blindsided me and said we're going to DMV to get our Real ID's.
No appointments we just walked up to DMV at opening cold turkey and got in line.
Had a copy of my W2 for my SSN, Birth Cert, and proof of residency with old pay stubs.

20 minutes to get in to DMV then over 2+ hours in several lines.
My current Drivers License doesn't expire for 3 years so they simply took my pic and gave me a temp ID/license and the hard copy will arrive in the mail in 2 weeks.

It's much tougher for women.
Wife needed her name change-divorce papers and a cleaner copy of her birth cert. Hospitals once used a pre-inkjet burn-in kinda copy machine on goofy paper and those types of copies degrade over a short period of time.
So she has more paperwork, a return trip and more line standing to get hers.
I think my that prim, plain women don't like attractive women so my wife got a dose of that hate from the frumpy DMV lady.

I wanted Veteran on my ID but that would have meant more lines, more paperwork,, and I was almost 3 hours into this already and the place was like a hospital after a disaster hit. All those crazy people you see in those viral Walmart picture were there.

I was going to apply for my Cali class A non commercial license but the DMV lady recommended that it would add more hours to my visit, and I still had to take our rig to another location to do the driver test. So I postponed that and do it all at once.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I went to the El Centro DMV to renew mine last year (and get the current Real ID) and was in and out in 20 minutes...

Since we live up in da mountains (SD County), it's only 15 minutes longer to drive to El Centro over El Cajon. Of course, traffic 'down the hill' can offset the difference on any given day!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to the El Centro DMV to renew mine last year (and get the current Real ID) and was in and out in 20 minutes...

Since we live up in da mountains (SD County), it's only 15 minutes longer to drive to El Centro over El Cajon. Of course, traffic 'down the hill' can offset the difference on any given day!
Yeah with some warning from the wife I'da suggested when we're in Ridgecrest or a smaller town.

·
Registered
315 Posts
what the hell is a REAL ID? never been to ca, seen lots of posts on here about commifornia, thinking this is just another reason not to go there. i renewed my license here in tx on my lunch break.

·
Administrator
2,388 Posts
what the hell is a REAL ID? never been to ca, seen lots of posts on here about commifornia, thinking this is just another reason not to go there. i renewed my license here in tx on my lunch break.
I'm wondering the same thing.....never heard if Real ID before.

I thought my bases have been covered with my ODL, SS card, birth certificate, and passport.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
every state has to have them
to meet the FEDERAL REAL ID act 2005
starting this Oct they are required on domestic air flights

·
Premium Member
10,075 Posts
Yep, got mine done during the Summer, wasn't too much drama. Showed up with my birth certificate, SS card, passport, old license, and 2 pieces of mail verifying my address. They made copies, took the new license pic, and I was out of there in 20 minutes. Everybody has to get them, might as well get them before it's zero hour, and everybody and their brothers are there getting them.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days"

Wife had to get past marriage licenses, dates and locations and a cleaner copy of her certified birth cert. Many govts now have outside vendors doing this under contract. So an extra hassle and not cheap but a lot easier with the internet.
Being from Switzerland doesn't help either.

The burn-in method copy machines that some govts used for their copies in the past have made these document recovery services more popular.

Cali DMV took down their Class A non commercial driver license written test study pages. They describe the walk around safety test, but for some odd reason it ends there.
So I'll take the TH out to Lancaster and wing it once again.

We have an alarmist in our Dumont group that claims if you get stopped and don't have the Class A license you get shipped off to North Korea and your Toy Hauler melted into scrap.

·
Registered
315 Posts

aaaaahhhhhh ironically got mine and didn't even realize it on my last renewal. funny thing is i don't remember it being a hassle.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aaaaahhhhhh ironically got mine and didn't even realize it on my last renewal. funny thing is i don't remember it being a hassle.
Over-whelmed DMV's are a part of life in the greater Los Angeles area. People hanging from the rafters when you walk in.
Even with an appointment I had a 2 hour wait once.
AAA will handle most DMV paperwork, but Driver's licenses and test have to be done in person.
The DMV documents recording machine broke so I never expect to see my new Real ID show up in the mail.

BTW in Cali my Corvette z06 annual registration is $1.049.00 per year. My Dually almost the same, our boat way more. Read that: Per year.
My BIL with the same vehicles in Louisiana pays about $68, +$8 and one time $15 first time new vehicle fee when you buy it.

Also, if we move to Nevada or Texas it'll be a $30.000 a year savings on our taxes.
Those are big drinks of water.
Wife wants to buy some property there and be a crazy Dog, burro and cat lady.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to Santa Clarita and got my Passport.
Huge facility with 6 parking spots but 100's of chairs in the waiting room.
Lucky me it was empty the State Dept employee really helpful.
$175.00

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Pretty sure if you have a passport you can still travel domestically without a REAL ID after the Oct deadline.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am not 100% but I believe Texas (and other states) are already compliant with Federal guidelines so when you renew you get a real ID. The People's Republic of Kalifonia (my lovely state) will give a drivers license to anyone. So now you have to jump through hoops proving who you are to get a real ID that is compliant with Federal guidelines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts