Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to make my own cage n was wanting to know what type n size steel people where using. Want to get a jmr bender anyone use that one

·
Registered
545 Posts
Want to make my own cage n was wanting to know what type n size steel people where using. Want to get a jmr bender anyone use that one
Will be using 1.75 x .120 and .095 1026DOM for the mains and 1.50 x .095 for the rest. The JMR is similar to my JD2 - a very good bender.

·
Registered
545 Posts
And proper design (triangulation) and material ( tube or DOM - NOT PIPE) are important.
Just got these XMF cage bungs in the other day -

My cage build project starts next Friday...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Im in the process of building mine now and will start a build thread later but i just 1.75" .095 tubing for cage and will be using 1.5" .095 for bumpers. Im also using a affordable bended off ebay and seems to be working well. I took the hand operated bottle jack off and installed a air over hydraulic bottle jack from harbor freight and makes it much nicer to use. I also only gave 450 for the bender and 2 die sets shipped.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a JD2 with all kinds of dies made it an electric/hydraulic. when i do mine it will be 1.75 x .25 DOM. I know it is heavier than a lot of people like but i am harder on things then most people. Mine will also be a full exso cage

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
There is no way you're seriously going to make a cage from .250 wall.

My cage and my production cages will be .095 and .083 chromo and the DOM cages will be .095, possibly .120 on the long runners that will get hit but unlikely

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is no way you're seriously going to make a cage from .250 wall.

My cage and my production cages will be .095 and .083 chromo and the DOM cages will be .095, possibly .120 on the long runners that will get hit but unlikely
Opp's you go me there!! maybe alittle too many cold ones when i posted:crazy:. you are correct it will be .120!!! the only thing i have made with .25 is my Deuce and half 4 link!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea i know right LOL could you imagine if it was, you want to talk about top heavy LOL it would be almost like a turtle on its back well not that bad but you know what i mean it would be a lot of weight!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Take your time fitting your tubes and properly fish mouth them.

Hey what programs do you all use on your tube bending projects. I just upgraded from 5 to Bend tech Pro 6.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here is an example of some well triangulated cage designs.
Dragon fire Nessy Teryx

And the HRT Flying Banana Rhino (not all tubes shown)

Here is a pic of the bender.
View attachment 1067
These take a little more practice to use but are a good option.

Take your time fitting your tubes and properly fish mouth them.

Hey what programs do you all use on your tube bending projects. I just upgraded from 5 to Bend tech Pro 6.
I use the old school chalk and floor method. Do a search on Pirate4x4 - there is an old post on now to do it. Would like to upgrade to a digital program but not found a free one for a Mac.

·
Registered
545 Posts
how many cage bungs will i need for my cage build havn't taken the plastic of yet to see any help
XMF sells a cage "kit" - 2 threaded bungs and 2 counter bored bungs.

You can see the front mount behind the front vent cover, will get pics of whats behind the plastic tonite.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts