Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build a new cage for the Maverick I haven't picked up yet(its waiting for me to get home) to make it safer and to get ready for some ECORS racing. Should I build doors that open or build this thing like a buggy and climb through the window? The plan is to race as well as ride some trails with friends, hopefully some of you guys that have custom cages will chime in.
Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I dont know the rules for racing, so not sure if opening doors are allowed in racing. Howevcer I have a friend who built his own doors and the open when he is driving for recreation and then he added a way to bolt them closed so he could race with them.

Here is a picture of my Mav with some custom opening doors that look like racing doors.

Attachments

Reactions: Matix

·
Registered
684 Posts
Desertdog, your car looks pretty sick with that cage and doors!
Was it hard to decide whether to do the doors yellow or black?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Panels can be made much safer but it's a bitch to get in and out of if you use a box trailer or toy hauler. I had panels on my rzr and rolled it in a race once and nothing but a scratch or 2. If I had any of these after market doors(blingstar, utv inc etc..) they would have been crushed in that roll.

However, my girl hated the panels because of the difficulty getting in and out so I went back to doors. If I ruin the doors I will just have to buy more lol. The local races I do allow doors.

P.S. By panels I mean full cage with panel body.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Desertdog, your car looks pretty sick with that cage and doors!
Was it hard to decide whether to do the doors yellow or black?
Thanks. No because my original plan was to put black vinyl only on the top of the doors so it would match the cars black plastics.
But now, I may change the plan and put a vinyl wrap on the sides only.

BTW, Magnum will be selling this exact cage & doors, because they are rebuilding mine from scratch.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks. No because my original plan was to put black vinyl only on the top of the doors so it would match the cars black plastics.
But now, I may change the plan and put a vinyl wrap on the sides only.

BTW, Magnum will be selling this exact cage & doors, because they are rebuilding mine from scratch.
What, what is wrong with your cage???

·
Registered
410 Posts
I dont know the rules for racing, so not sure if opening doors are allowed in racing. Howevcer I have a friend who built his own doors and the open when he is driving for recreation and then he added a way to bolt them closed so he could race with them.

Here is a picture of my Mav with some custom opening doors that look like racing doors.
That is Bad Ass! Did you get it back yet?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That is Bad Ass! Did you get it back yet?
Yes I got it back and it is badass BUT there was a few things (3 or 4) not per the spec's I gave them, so they are going to redo it.They knew it wasn't right so they choose to redo it from scratch. Just easier that way for them and better for me. Then they can sell this set up complete. Since they could not get the re-do done by halloween as they promised. They said take it out anyways and they will come get it when I get back. no harm no foul! They are totally straight up guys. In fact, I may be camping with them, but not sure yet.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
I've ran ECORS all year. Are you local to NC??

ECORS does allow doors that open. I personally have solid doors but mine is a race vehicle and I rarely trail ride with it.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex,
Yeah I am going to try to get into the ECORS circuit this coming season, I was going to build a buggy and decided my income doesn't support an ultra4 buggy lmao I am selling all my 4 wheel drive stuff and committing to the UTV thing. I have built a few cages in the past I just figured I would get everyone's opinion on doors, I get back from Afghanistan on 2 November and I pick up my new X rs on the 6th. I live in the Raeford/Fayetteville area because I am stationed at Ft Bragg, lots of trails to ride on out here so I don't want to limit myself to a race only rig. On a side note I have to say Triangle cycles in Durham is by far the cheapest in NC right now to buy any can-am, they beat performance east by $1500 out the door. If you contact them ask for Matt he has been a stand up guy and has worked with me since I am deployed, most of the other dealerships wouldn't give me the time of day after I received their quote and told them I was deployed.
Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sorry about hijacking your thread. I thought you were looking for examples of cages with doors.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about hijacking your thread. I thought you were looking for examples of cages with doors.
You didn't Hijack it at all, I appreciate the pictures because It all helps me decide which way to go. I am leaning towards a full cage because the only doors I like are the UTV INC door which are $600 and if I make a bar style I might as well just weld it shut so I don't hear another rattle the whole time I am riding.
Pat

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
I would look into another race series if you're looking to race. Maybe UTVRR or GORS. There's even a series based out of Busco. ECORS is a dying series for UTVs.

Here's what I've been running this year.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Also I'm in Charlotte. If you need parts or help with anything I can get you squared away. I sell everything I've built and run in my Maverick.

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Alex,
I already Pmed you about some parts I cant make and you sent me a quote.
Pat
Ahh yes I remember now. Everything will ship out November 5th

1 - 17 of 17 Posts