Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:

Thinking about selling my 2018 Can Am Defender XT-P HD1000 and picking up a new 2018/19 Can Am Maverick 1000R, looking to do a little more sport riding.
My question, does the cab get real hot when riding in summer like a Commander? It will have front and rear windows with roof, also is it a quiet machine.
My Defender is very quiet and wondered about Maverick and noise.
Any pros and cons about the Maverick??

Thanks
kenner

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 17 maxx gets really hot have a windshield top and home made doors I have been looking for a way to get more air flow into the cab

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The old school og Maverick 1000r has been discontinued and been replaced with the much improved Maverick Trail series. The 1000r was just a warmed over Commander anyways and compared to your Defender the 1000r will be both noisier and twice as hot in the cab. Depending on where you ride I would look at either the X3 or the Maverick Trail Sport.
Hello Everyone:

Thinking about selling my 2018 Can Am Defender XT-P HD1000 and picking up a new 2018/19 Can Am Maverick 1000R, looking to do a little more sport riding.
My question, does the cab get real hot when riding in summer like a Commander? It will have front and rear windows with roof, also is it a quiet machine.
My Defender is very quiet and wondered about Maverick and noise.
Any pros and cons about the Maverick??

Thanks
kenner

·
Registered
119 Posts
2017 was the last year for the original Maverick 1000R. It had the same hot cab issues as the Commander. About the same sound level as the Commander with a nicer exhaust note - but both are louder than the Defender.
If you are in Michigan, I'd recommend the new 2018/19 Maverick Sport 1000R. 100hp and 60 inches wide, nice long wheelbase, with a quiet rear engine, no heat issues, and a fair amount of wheel travel and nice Fox Podium Shocks.
The X3 has a horrible noise issue around 5000 rpm and no fix exists. Trail riding you'd be in and out of this rpm range all day long. Annoying enough to make you mad. Plus the X3 is probably overkill for trails in the Midwest, unless you have mostly wide open trails in your area.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 17 xmr 1000r. First off the maverick is in no way compared to a commander other than the gauges and steering wheel.
More travel. More power. Better suspension all good things. But on the other side. It is way louder in the cab all due to exhaust location and type of mufflers
The heat issue is real. Mine is way better since I covered the inside of every part of the engine cover with DEI firewall and transmission tunnel heat shielding. Dropped the heat a ton. And as far as the noise goes. I put sound proofing behind the seats and on the exhaust side of the inner mud flaps below the rear rack and also cut 3/4 plywood to fit the top of the rack Painted it flat black and covered the bottom with soundproofing. Results are great. Dropped noise level at 4000rpm from 120 decibels in the cab to 101
All that said. I bought my 17 because I live the old 1000r machines and the extra work to fix the heat and sound problem was something I enjoyed working on. They are great machines. The new defender xmr is also a sweet ride. And may be my next new mud machine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Actually 2018 was the last year for the og Maverick but to answer the question yes the og Maverick is hot in the cab unless you do things to reduce the heat like heat shielding and is noisey in the cab but that being said all an opinional matter I think the og is one of the best Midwest trail machines that have been made and currently have 2 of them in my garage that have been the most dependible trail machines I have owned and one of them is my 16 year old sons so that says a lot about dependibility to me lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cal16. You are absolutely correct. 2018 was the last year. My mistake. I chose the 17 over the 18 because of the color and tire option. Heat issue is same on both. I agree that heat shielding and just letting the heat go out the back is the best approach
Short of adding a/c your really not going to keep the cab cool in the summer. But it sure is nice in the winter. Lol. It’s a trade off

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been told that venting panels (like what ct sells) does more for the heat then anything else. My turbo has never had a heat problem although I did the thermotech anyway. I also don't have a windshield or roof

·
Registered
369 Posts
I didn't notice the heat until I put on a roof , windshield, and rear window... now that I did this it isn't nearly as bad it made a huge difference

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think I am missing something. How do panels behind the headlights with holes help with heat in the cab?
i am willing to do anything to help with it. Here in Texas when it’s 105 outside with 80% humidity I pretty much have to park my Mav because it’s just tooo hot Thinking of going redneck and mounting a generator on the rear and putting a window unit on the hood.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Behind the headlights?? They are the panels on the inside of the wheel wells and are quite large and the factory one's don't allow air to flow past the engine and also trap heat that your fan pull's off your radiator.. making panels like I did allows air to flow through the engine area and out the back and doesn't trap hot air from your fan .I have noticed not only cooler cab temperature but also noticed that while driving at a faster speed ( more speed more air flow) the engine runs a bar cooler

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok my bad. About the behind headlights part. Those are the panels behind the radiator. So they let air out instead of forcing it into the cabin. Is the area behind the radiator open thru the firewall towards the engine? Seems that would have to be an opening for the radiator fan air to get to the engine compartment. Maybe I am thinking wrong and the holes in the panels you made are allowing cooler air in to join with the hot air coming off the radiator so it’s actually a cooler blast blowing across the engine. I am running a fan bypass switch and never have more than three bars even when it’s 100 outside One bar when it’s 60 outside

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I like it ! and I think it has as much to do with getting airflow around the exhaust as it does with the cooling system. The exhaust is what drives the heat in the cab. Gonna try to drill the factory ones to save a few bucks at first, add that to my ball joint fun this weekend.

update: Just left this comment, then went to google "Can am Maverick vented inner fender" , and of course it lead me right back to the forum and this thread, sweet - this is gonna be my plan.

https://www.maverickforums.net/forum/9-maverick-builds-projects-how-tos/7780-cheap-inner-fender-panels.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dsrtdog. Let us know how it all works. Would be nice to get a couple of people’s results. The link is awesome. Those are sweet looking with the painted screen in them. May have to do it just for the coolness. Let alone the cooling factor. Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts