Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently introduced myself on the introduction page. I'm the 3rd owner of a 2017 max turbo 4 seater. The person I bought it from only owned it for a few months. It has less than 120 hours. How hard the hours are is unknown to me but the second owner was not hard on it, or so he said. When buying used you get what you pay for and have to take the sellers word with a grain of salt. So here is my dilemma. It has a light bar across the front that was hard wired directly to a hot circuit. He was keeping a trickle charger on it to maintain the battery. I traced it to the battery and disconnected it and plan to reroute at some other time. I believe there is still a draw on the battery as I went to start it and it was slow turning over. I hooked my battery charger up to it and recharged the battery. I just read in the manual that the battery is not to be charged in the vehicle. Have I done any damage?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,228 Posts
Usually if it’s really Dead 💀 it’s best to pull it and charge is away from valuables like the car or garage. I have had battery catch fire but it was a old school Battery

You should be fine if the Car wasn’t running when your charging
Sounds as if they jacked up wiring a light than you might have something else to figure out

Could be the previous owner has killed and recharged it repeatedly

You should eliminate wiring issues first and upgrade the battery after you substantiate the circuits are good

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recently introduced myself on the introduction page. I'm the 3rd owner of a 2017 max turbo 4 seater. The person I bought it from only owned it for a few months. It has less than 120 hours. How hard the hours are is unknown to me but the second owner was not hard on it, or so he said. When buying used you get what you pay for and have to take the sellers word with a grain of salt. So here is my dilemma. It has a light bar across the front that was hard wired directly to a hot circuit. He was keeping a trickle charger on it to maintain the battery. I traced it to the battery and disconnected it and plan to reroute at some other time. I believe there is still a draw on the battery as I went to start it and it was slow turning over. I hooked my battery charger up to it and recharged the battery. I just read in the manual that the battery is not to be charged in the vehicle. Have I done any damage?
Thanks in advance.
You want to use a smart charger, or something like this CTEK MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 Battery Charger. Usually the reason its not recommended to charge while on the car is the potential fire, and possible damage to other electrical components. Now that your battery was drained it will never be at 100%, but more like 65-70% at best. You should replace the battery after you have confirmed you dont have a constant draw on the battery.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Is it an X3? The old style Maverick turbos were notorious for slow crank when starting. Mine sounded like it wasn’t going to start, but almost always did.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i honestly would look at other electronic accessories that may have been added to the machine. After doing that, make any changes if needed to the wiring, and then replace the battery itself. Like stated, once it has been drained, it's no longer to be 100%, and not knowing how many times it has been fully drained, you don't know how good the battery is anymore.

they aren't cheap, but replacing the battery would be a good idea before you start hitting the trails, even if it's just for piece of mind

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
A little more information is needed here to help us understand your concern. Typically, a light bar wired to the battery should not cause parasitic drain unless the switch is illuminated and the illumination is on all the time with the car off. What other electrical accessories do you have in the car? Have you checked for drains and positively confirmed the light bar is the culprit? Is it possible the starter is drawing excessive amps during start on a weak battery? The stock batteries are marginal even when new. If it had been abused before you got the car and it sits for any period of time, the discharge rate might be so high it can’t retain enough energy to crank. In that case the problem is the battery, not the light bar. I recommend confirming parasitic draw first and correcting that, if it exists and then replacing the battery as suggested above. There are several easy ways to check for draw using a test light or multimeter and eliminating circuits one at a time until the draw is gone. Depending on your particular setup it can take some time to figure it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. It is a 2017 max xds turbo. The switch for the light bar has an illuminated switch. The only other electrical add on is a radio. I'm assuming there is always some type of draw for the computer memory(?). I also think it most likely has the original battery so it's probably at the end of it's life cycle.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Next question, which vendor to purchase a battery?
Find one that sells Odyssey batteries, or the battery of your choice.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
The x3’s seem to need a battery tender ? What is useing power when off , but when I first bought my car and put it in the shop I started to order my goodies so the car just sat went to move it and it was dead , stock batterys are junk but they do have a draw for? Ecu or? My car is always on a trickle charger

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My stock battery from 2018, still works to this day, never been on a trickle, sits for months sometimes, in Az at that. Am I lucky? Probably will die Friday when I trailer up. Theft deterrent 1.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
My stock battery just sat through Canadian winter and started right up. Never charged.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My 2018 has the original battery as well. Never charged and in AZ as well. Starts right up every time and the car had over 8300 miles on it. Granted I’ve done all of my own electrical work and I suspect someone didn’t do something right on the OP’s car causing the drain.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Same here. All my own work, no drains found, but I have a toggle that flips all acc off from the battery feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2017 sits for months during summer without use and still has the original battery. Ive seen cars before have the same problem as they fitted the accessories direct to the battery. Some good advice above, check for accessories direct to the battery.

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
206 Posts
My 2017 sits for months during summer without use and still has the original battery. Ive seen cars before have the same problem as they fitted the accessories direct to the battery. Some good advice above, check for accessories direct to the battery.
Bluetooth in radios/intercoms and in switch pro will have some drain and I have both. I always keep it on a battery tender.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just recently had a similar issue and run a good amount of electronics but mind you I have a nice yellow top optima. My x3 had a few hard to start and slow cranks until one day it didn't start at all. I hooked up my map tuner to read voltage and it would drop under 12 and read around 11.3-11.6 when trying to start. I figured this could be the issue. I took the battery to advance auto parts to test it and see if it was weak after trying to put a tender on the battery with no good results. The battery tested fine. I actually bought a high torque starter and went to change out and boom no start. I spent $115 for nothing as I should have tested the oem starter first. the starter is really easy to see and change as it sits behind the turbo cover in between the seats. My issue ended up being a dirty ground for the starter that just needed to be cleaned. the thing is the ground is a little trickier to get to. it needs to be accessed from the rear passenger side by removing the plastic cover that holds all the cooling lines and all the zipties need to be removed in order to access your starter ground easier. its only a few screws that need to come off but with the right extensions and cooling lines pushed out the way you can reach the ground nut and clean it out. I particularly ride in dusty conditions and mud so it looks like grounds may be a reoccurring issue.. Def start there and removing and testing the starter is extremely easy requiring 3 bolts and putting a jumper pack to the starter if you want to test it first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts