Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a blonde moment , lol

I don't get it, u removed a stick of metal , and replace with the same thing just solid and u get bump steer , ? how - its the same length , :)

lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm sure you did but double check the toe in, simplistic check. Then I'd make sure everything is bolted up the same. I.e. on top or bottom of the spindle. However it's supposed to be

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its aligned great its just everyone is talking about after market tie rods creating bump steer , which it does I jacked my rig up and tires tow out but fine when down , its just weird how its the same thing same length , I know has to do with geometry but its the same length same thing just solid metal not a tube , weird lol

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Alex Reed and some others have said that the bump steer is there from stock as well. I haven't check my machine but I did get the CT Racing tie rods so I will be installing mine soon to check.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
its aligned great its just everyone is talking about after market tie rods creating bump steer , which it does I jacked my rig up and tires tow out but fine when down , its just weird how its the same thing same length , I know has to do with geometry but its the same length same thing just solid metal not a tube , weird lol
Are the inside joints pivoting at exact spot as oem? Ones I have seen pivot further out causing bump steer

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah yes that would be cool if u could check urs out stock , thx

·
Registered
713 Posts
Alex Reed and some others have said that the bump steer is there from stock as well. I haven't check my machine but I did get the CT Racing tie rods so I will be installing mine soon to check.
There is bump steer with the stock tie rods but it's not as bad as the UTV Inc HD Tie Rods. See my post regarding this, I took pics and you can see what I am referring too. I think it might have to do with the angle and the height that the tie rod sits at. With the UTV Inc I'm getting almost 3/4 inch out and with the stock its a little over 1/4 of an inch. Honestly, I can't figure out why the UTV Inc tie rods throw this off so much. I have lined them up and I can't tell the difference but its there.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the inside joints pivoting at exact spot as oem? Ones I have seen pivot further out causing bump steer
they screw into the same rod on the inside and thread to same spot oem's go to , if that's what ur asking?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I know its been posted somewhere but I can't find it. Where's the thread on how to adjust toe? I just installed my new ct racing tie rods and they use the factory ends. I want to know the measurements you guys take to adjust toe and what those measurements are from the factory.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
measure from the center of the tire tread on the front and back of tires to make sure its same inches apart , then toe it in a hair ,

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Adding spacers to the outer tie rod ends will correct the Bump steer. You will need to experiment with different thickness spacers to get it correct. Use washers until you fine what works, then spin some up in a lathe. On my Commander I ended up with a 1/2" spacer nut in my case, to get it right. I do have an aftermarket LT kit on it so that makes a difference.

·
Registered
461 Posts
measure from the center of the tire tread on the front and back of tires to make sure its same inches apart , then toe it in a hair ,
Center if the tread to where?? I guess u mean the drivers side tire to the passenger side tire?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pivot point on the stock ball from the pivot point on the Clevis on those. I saw pics where the pivot point was out further
I run turnkeys tie rods ,

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Center if the tread to where?? I guess u mean the drivers side tire to the passenger side tire?
sorry yes from driver to passenger

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I highly recommend you get a service manual. I have seen them as cheap as $4.95 and it will cover most adjustments and maintenance items you will ever need to do…..here is the factory spec for Toe:

Front toe (vehicle on ground) 0mm ± 9.6mm (0in ± .378in)
Rear toe (vehicle on ground) 0mm ± 4.8 mm (0 in ± .189 in)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I highly recommend you get a service manual. I have seen them as cheap as $4.95 and it will cover most adjustments and maintenance items you will ever need to do…..here is the factory spec for Toe:

Front toe (vehicle on ground) 0mm ± 9.6mm (0in ± .378in)
Rear toe (vehicle on ground) 0mm ± 4.8 mm (0 in ± .189 in)
I've got one. Just haven't looked at it. . Lol. Thats why I've got you forum brethren! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
haha….I hear ya….some times it is quicker to ask the forum for input then to research it yourself :smile:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts