Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I built a scatter shield so that I do not have to use the CVT cover. I also lapped the outer primary to the shaft using valve lapping stuff. I then put Loctite Sleeve Retainer that I bought at Napa on the taper that I lapped in. I started the motor, and then held the outer primary up to the crank and let the motor lap the two parts together. Do this at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for telling you that this is the way that I did it. It took quite a few try tries till I Could finally feel some resistance.
I also put blue Loctite on the primary bolt and then torqued it down with the impact. I ordered one of the good bolts from ///AIRDAM, but it won't be here till next Monday. I also left all of the push pull pins off of the two panels surrounding the CVT area. The seat holds the bottom panel in place, and the bottom panel holds the side panel in place. I can now get to my belt in less than one minute. This will also make it easy to just check on it. I also zip tied a Plan B onto the back of the Maverick.
update: I wrapped the exhaust. I bought 2"x25' and I used 20' of it. I also built a heat shield. I took the Exhaust off to wrap it. I was able to remove the nuts off of the head from the passenger side. And in the one photo with the big channel locks, I was able to start the bolt to the right by hand, and then clampdown with a channel locks and start the left bolt.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Post up some pics.

I just got two air dam setups and a new belt coming. I think I will swap the new belt and bolts in a few weeks when I get a weekend I am not using the Mav. Then keep the original broken in belt as a spare.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My phone wouldn't let me post up pics, so I had to upload them to Dropbox, then put them on the iPad, and then put them in the op. you two are just too fast for me, lol

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in the desert in Southern California. We get an average of 1 inch of rain per year. So no, no water for me. Except maybe a stream crossing on the way to Mike Skyranch.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I to live in desert (henerson,nv) but we go up to the paiute trail several times a year, and a few weeks each year in idaho, montana and wyoming.. So we do get into the water a lot. Once so much so I thought we may have to swim out!....and no I dont do the snorkel either...i try and stay under 2 1/2 feet deep, creeks and streams type thing

Loved the pictures above, always enjoy seeing people build something themself, most times it works better than oem! good job.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
oh I have NO DOUBT,NONE, that what you did will increase belt life 500 fold!! and in fact lallow longevity on any thing insdie that area! good job

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! The one more thing I'm going to do is wrap the exhaust in that area when the wrap comes in.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Search eBay for lava wrap. It's rated at 2000 degrees Continuous. I used the regular wrap before that's rated for 1000° continuous, and it doesn't seem to last that long. So this will be my first time using the lava stuff. But it's still similar to what I used before. The guys in the commander forum swear by it.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Post up some pics.

I just got two air dam setups and a new belt coming. I think I will swap the new belt and bolts in a few weeks when I get a weekend I am not using the Mav. Then keep the original broken in belt as a spare.
I just did the same thing.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Search eBay for lava wrap. It's rated at 2000 degrees Continuous. I used the regular wrap before that's rated for 1000° continuous, and it doesn't seem to last that long. So this will be my first time using the lava stuff. But it's still similar to what I used before. The guys in the commander forum swear by it.
With most of the wraps I soak them in water and it makes it easy to work with and wraps up real nice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts