Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been lusting at this forum as a stalker for a while. Probably hoping the desire to own a SXS was a passing phase. It has not passed, and I'm about to sell a quad and a car to finance a project. (Crazy how a gently used Audi, and a quad are way less in combined value than a descent SXS)

Anyway, we all know these sports to be less than financially sound investments. Although it's hard to put a price on the 'woo-hoo' factor...

So. My questions: I'm pretty drawn to the Mavericks obviously. I looked at the Commanders and I just don't want to regret not buying the race car vs. the fast pickup truck. My uses will actually be pretty cool IMO. It's literally going to act as a daily driver around a massive ranch I manage. There is plenty of utility equipment to be used when needed, so it's really a fast commuter primarily. On the occational weekend I'd like to take it to a park somewhere and go play. (Still new to the area and learning about TX riding areas. I'm used to CO roads to no-where). Twice a year I'd like to race WORCS or distance. Maybe short course, but only maybe.

I'd like to have a modest budget to start a build/buy. $15,000 or less. I know this to be thin...so BUILD OR BUY?

What would you do with this budget, and use requirements?

Finally: ANyone ride the Austin, San Antonio, Hill Country areas? Any favorite spots?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Toys are money pits get one and enjoy it. I think of it as my hobby not an investment and the way I see it all hobbies are $$$$

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as non investments go...gf is makin me get rid of a car, quad, and dbike for this project. I'm thinking its a good time of year to start looking for a mav someone started on. this forum has a problem with making upgrades and aftermarket parts sound way too fun. racers, fabricators, rockers, duners...maybe I'll start with the car and quad and some FS/trade ads!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'd keep the car, dirt bike and quad, buy a Maverick and ditch the GF...:wink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
What atv are you trying to get rid of? I'm in the market for one and may be interested. Get the Mav you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
maverick all the way. at days end 98% of people want form, fit and function plus good suspension and quality and great HP. maverick is the only choice to fit those bills. now if your on a ranch, the question is do you need a 4 seat ?

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
You can probably squeeze in the door at 15k but I hope your gf knows it'll go way further than that
Most are invested more than 20
I do like your style of selling off other stuff to get here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old GF didn't understand my workshop, beer, and tools keep me sane. This one does! And ultimately I agree less toys and more time to play is more fun. Also why I only wrench my own equipment unless you're standing next to me while I wrench yours! No more " is it ready yet ; I need it back ; HOW MUCH?!! ".

I don't want a 4 seater for a couple reasons.
1) at the end of the day I got room for me n the missus n the dog. CFP CorryForPartyn. No S...Cuz I'm not actually sorry
2) we have a ton of people moving equipment.
3) I want to do some racin. TORN springs to mind, and I'm looking forward to their March opener.
4) I want it to fit in my toy hauler

TOM: 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 ; 1200mi ranch work ; new tires ; siren (haha) ; Bambi basher ; moving it from old job in CO to TX around the 17th. $? (You know where the cash is goin!!) PM if you're interested and ill send some pix

I got a real nice PM about buying new vs buying problems (used). I REALLY like the idea, but how do you justify the immediate depreciation? Knowing you'll have it a while and you'll use it up? Kinda drawn to the white and orange...this is already becoming a problem...$15 is a good starting point and my prettier half understands at least I'm not a bar fly, and while its an addiction...it ain't CrAcK!

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can get a new 2013 Maverick (not an Xrs) for 13000. Welcome to the forum ad the addiction. I'm in the Hill Country also, We ride out at Hidden Falls a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts