Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cost of racing for the privateer can add up quick! What are some things you have done to make it a little more affordable?

Cant afford Tire Balls?
86bbca7aad33a4a98324ea9108a3faa3.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,474 Posts
To finish first, first you must finish.

Don't destroy your car just to gain one position.

Practice, practice. Know your car well and know what tire pressure and shock adjustments do to your car.

Spare tie rods, spare tires, and fluids.

Keep you radiator clean.

Whistle dick everything to keep the mud off.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Tip #1. Make lots of money at your day job.
you can make a small fortune racing, if you start with a large one.
Truer words have never been spoken...lol

·
Registered
623 Posts
I raced last year at our local track. The first time i drove the maverick was in a race. There was only 4 days of racing and each day there were 3 races. In the races the top 5 guys were just playing bumper cars, make sure your rig has lots of body protection. Have a great skid as well and your shocks MUST be tuned by a pro. You will need to know all the rules and safety equipment that is needed. I just went out and had fun. At the end of the day i missed 6 races total and finished 8th out of 33 drivers i think. During the races there will be so much dust you can't see the front of your maverick. To be honest i am not sure if i am going to do it this year. It is fun to start out in the back of the pack and pass as many people as you can. You will spend ALOT of $$$$.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Show up looking like a winner even if you aren't
wow...you onto us!

on the toys balls instead of Tireballs... we actually used them for our spares for a couple of races... they work, of course not as well as tire balls but the did work (you still need to put the Tireball lube in there or they will melt) I think I paid $12 for a box of 50... ours had pics of Mustangs on em so we called them HP's for Horse Power!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I was thinking more with this post is, what are things you may have done that helped you saved money racing?

It could be Barney Balls or Spider-man Balls instead of $$$$ Tire Balls (but tire balls are a great product I own a set ;-) or Buying used parts your only going to smash up anyway? Maybe its simply sharing a ride to the races? or a forum sponsor you felt gives the best deals on his product?
Or maybe you got a little Sponsorship!

If your going to race a full season Sponsorship is a must and really easy! Stickers on your UTV and Haulers can go a long way! Even if you don't have a racing resume and are new starting out, Many suppliers will offer you discounts right off the bat simply by asking!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
wow...you onto us!

on the toys balls instead of Tireballs... we actually used them for our spares for a couple of races... they work, of course not as well as tire balls but the did work (you still need to put the Tireball lube in there or they will melt) I think I paid $12 for a box of 50... ours had pics of Mustangs on em so we called them HP's for Horse Power!

Mineral oil works for tireball lube...

·
Registered
545 Posts
What I was thinking more with this post is, what are things you may have done that helped you saved money racing?
Save money racing - thats an oxymoron! But to get the best return for your $ spent:

> While it sounds counter productive - spending the $ up front for a quality part from a reputable vendor pays off in the end. You are not stuck with a mediocre product you need to upgrade later anyway, and vendor technical support is invaluable. Being able to call a vendor in his personel cell phone at the track to diagnose an issue, or drive to meet you with a part is something you cannot get from some low $ internet seller.

> Get a service manual and learn how to work on your machine. This also gets you familiar with your machine so you know how to diagnose and tune. And do the maintenance - amazing how many race vehicle show up needing work.

> Work with your dealer, tell them you are racing and will run their stickers. They often will give great discounts on parts.

> Preorder expendable parts - filters, fluids, belts, so you have them at the race.

> Keep a detailed log / tech book of all you set ups and changes. Makes tuning easier.

> Seat time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts