Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brown Mountain is open for the 14' season and is just as challenging as ever! A fire last weekend halted the opening because a lightning strike burned 20 acres. The forestry service got it under control and will be there a little longer because spot fires were still burning on some of the east side.
Met up with Icepick for a Saturday ride and a few other guys joined us. Headin up the joy road(1) we saw that they closed 4 for some maintenance, which blows cause we all love that trail. That didn't stop us from tackling trail 6's steep start! Rode 8 and 1 too but the real news is that they are widening 9-10! 10 has always been my favorite trail on the mountain when ridin' quads but now it is ready for SXSides. It was awesome with some fast sections and some excellent decents.
Then at the end of the day, we decided to try 9 down to the parking lot. This is the most the technical trail to date! It had everything from tight trails to butt puckering rock climbs. My old fat boy XRS had a hell of a time twisting through that stuff but it made it! A couple off-cambers with trees will definitely leave marks on your rear fenders, so don't try it if you ain't into adding character to your machine or possibly flipping. Ran into a dozen RZRs trying it, and got a kick out of watching them on the rock faces.
I went ahead and got my season pass($30) because I am going to be there a lot this summer. Day passes are only $5, where else can you camp and ride for $5?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish we had hills let alone mountains. The tallest "hill" around here is our fly over highway. Would love to do something like that one day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bet it's nice now with all the rain we just got this week.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's nice anytime, even in summer. Starting to get crowded though, all types of rides up here goofin around. Best to come through the week

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I looked at a couple of sites with info about brown mt. One said there is only 14 miles of trail for sxs's. Is there more now?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went there last month and had a blast. Maverick will fit all the way down 1a. Little tight in spots, but it will go. Trail number 4 was even tighter.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How bout all that work on 4 with the blocks? I've never seen anything like it in 25 years! That estimate of 14 miles is pretty close considering the mountain is only 3500 acres. You can mix it up and ride different routes and get way more than that. We average 30 miles on a Saturday morning, home by lunch, nap by 4, lol

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went there last month and had a blast. Maverick will fit all the way down 1a. Little tight in spots, but it will go. Trail number 4 was even tighter.
So 1A out of the parking lot? Wow, how did you like the rock climbs? You must be one hell of a driver!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Park official was there and told us we probably should steer clear of 1a. First left, just past the shelter. So, we Followed it all the way around and made aright on 9, I think. The last part of 1a isn't going to happen in a maverick ( not mine anyway). The rocks were fun. The first part of the trail was the tightest. Number 4 gave me some bark on the roll cage.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
How much wider than stock could you and ride all the trails you went on? Are they open year round?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think it's the same Times as uwharrie. I would say no wider than 64 on 1a and 4. Everywhere else a truck can go. However, 1a and 4 were the most fun. Some of the turns were tight and roots from cutting trails made me feel sorry for my sidewalls several times. We left with no flats though. Don't go if like your machine scratch free.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could be 68" to 70" on most all of it. Park closes January till April 1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts