Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a broken sway par? Mine snapped as shown in the picture. I would have though that would be the last thing to break.
IMG_3121.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Does it have anything to do with heavier boxed A arms? Or maybe jumps?
No worries. Could be any of those, but the usual suspect is the bolt, and the bolt hole, not being the same diameter. A lot of us took off the front sway bar, and feel it rides better than when the bar was on. If you're still under warranty, take a shot and see if it's covered. Wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Mine broke shortly after replacing the links . Stronger links then the sway bar breaks. Replace sway bar and the frame will likely crack.
I just left the sway bar off for now.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see the stronger links in the picture. That is strange to say the least that would cause a thick piece of metal to break, but sounds like a recurring problem. I ordered some limit straps and will go without a sway bar now. Should get better articulation and help save the axles. BTW, not under warranty. They would probably deny it anyway with the mods: portals, boxed A arms, 35" tires, etc.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can see the stronger links in the picture. That is strange to say the least that would cause a thick piece of metal to break, but sounds like a recurring problem. I ordered some limit straps and will go without a sway bar now. Should get better articulation and help save the axles. BTW, not under warranty. They would probably deny it anyway with the mods: portals, boxed A arms, 35" tires, etc.
Thanks for the info.
you would be surprised what would be covered under warranty even with aftermarket parts;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've broken three of them and am on my 4th one at 10,000 miles. For me they only last about 2500-3000 miles before they break. I bet there are a lot of people out there driving around with broken front sway bars that don't know it because you can't tell they are broken without disconnecting one end or the other.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've broken three of them and am on my 4th one at 10,000 miles. For me they only last about 2500-3000 miles before they break. I bet there are a lot of people out there driving around with broken front sway bars that don't know it because you can't tell they are broken without disconnecting one end or the other.
That is amazing that you have gone through so many. You are probably right that some people may not even realize theirs is broken. I only found out mine was broken when I was taking it apart to replace an axle.
Why don't you go with limit straps? Do you need the sway bar for cornering as opposed to added articulation that limit straps offer? If you flat track you definitely need a sway bar. If you rock climb, the added articulation is beneficial.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I do a mix of different terrains, but a lot of high speed desert roads are in the mix. The car corners more predictably with a front sway bar.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I do a mix of different terrains, but a lot of high speed desert roads are in the mix. The car corners more predictably with a front sway bar.
Why don't you install a better sway bar like Eibach? I've got one you can have.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Every after market sway bar is way to stiff for me. If i was racing it would be a different story. The stock one last long enough and is relatively cheap anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts