Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,030 Posts
Notice how the cracks follow the line of the weld, particularly in the heat-affected zone (or HAZ) when welding at high temperatures. Weakening with welding is most common with cold-rolled steel.
No arguing that. Cracks always happen beside the weld.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I don't agree that it's weak material.

I do not have a degree in metallurgy but I have done some research

The material is DP980 which is very strong. Auto makers use and some quite extensively.

The material is thin AND rigid that is why it cracks.

I suspect the new 2022 chassis being 30 percent thicker will be much better.

The steel is strong, it's just too thin and develops stress cracks because it does not bend.

The old DOM vs Chromo debate. One bends the other is strong and rigid.

JMHO.

Tim
So should I wait to repair and get a 2022 frame or do you think they are already making the improvement to any new ones ordered?

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
So should I wait to repair and get a 2022 frame or do you think they are already making the improvement to any new ones ordered?
A 22 frame would be great, providing you could even get one before next year. The 22s aren't even out yet. You could check with your local dealer on a time frame, and go from there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
A 22 frame would be great, providing you could even get one before next year. The 22s aren't even out yet. You could check with your local dealer on a time frame, and go from there.
Yeah, after what I spent, mine won’t be fixed this year. Lol. I dropped it to my mechanic today and he found 5 busted welds without even removing anything yet. The a arms look perfect but they were HL upgraded so maybe that’s why. While I have no plans for future crashes, it’s seems the frame crumbled pretty easy since nothing else seems broken. I’d be willing to wait if it’s an improvement. But the real question I have is, if they know this is a problem, will they start building the better frame now on the remaining 2021s? We are just talking about swapping raw materials here. Should be a rather minor change to the manufacturing process.

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
Yeah, after what I spent, mine won’t be fixed this year. Lol. I dropped it to my mechanic today and he found 5 busted welds without even removing anything yet. The a arms look perfect but they were HL upgraded so maybe that’s why. While I have no plans for future crashes, it’s seems the frame crumbled pretty easy since nothing else seems broken. I’d be willing to wait if it’s an improvement. But the real question I have is, if they know this is a problem, will they start building the better frame now on the remaining 2021s? We are just talking about swapping raw materials here. Should be a rather minor change to the manufacturing process.
You had a 3X rollover at speed. No manufacturer's frame is going to come out of it unscathed. Any rollover brings damage, you have to understand that.

Best thing is to come up with a path forward. Try to get a 21, see how long it takes. Or you could wait longer for a better 22 frame. If you plan on waiting, the 22 is probably your best option.

Reactions: Dubes14 and Tmesic

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
I think you have unreasonable expectations for the chassis.

If you crashed your car would you expect there not to be damage?

What about crumple zones ?

You said it had stronger A arms. When you strengthen one part the damage moves elswhere.

Typically the "probelm" is cracking over time with off road stresses.

You crashed. Different scenario all together.

Buy a stock chassis and ha e every gusset kit out there installed. This is an EXPENSIVE sport.

My 142k sandcar gets a crack every now and then.

Offroad cars crack. The X3 seems to crack much more than it should but when you crash things are going to crack and break.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Well if you look at some of the info released on the 22’ changes the frame is not significantly upgraded. It’s all B.S. marketing, yup sure they up graded a few parts but overall its not a significant change.

Your issue is you jumped into buying a pretty showroom canam that was good for nothing but sitting there. Both sets of wheels and tires you have are not good for anything but bling and unsprung useless weight.

To fix it correctly you need a new frame, a realistic set of wheels and tires and some serious driving lessons. These sxs are not Throphy trucks that plow through everything, they have their limits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Well if you look at some of the info released on the 22’ changes the frame is not significantly upgraded. It’s all B.S. marketing, yup sure they up graded a few parts but overall its not a significant change.

Your issue is you jumped into buying a pretty showroom canam that was good for nothing but sitting there. Both sets of wheels and tires you have are not good for anything but bling and unsprung useless weight.

To fix it correctly you need a new frame, a realistic set of wheels and tires and some serious driving lessons. These sxs are not Throphy trucks that plow through everything, they have their limits.
Yeah, I’m working on the new frame and already in the process of selling both sets of rims and the one good set of tires. My mechanics, who is a close friend of my buddy apparently has been ripping apart and rebuilding these, and all other ATVs since he was a kid and use to race for Honda, I believe. He says he will make sure it is outfitted for what I plan to use it for. I am wondering if I sure ask him to beef up the new frame, seems like the time to do it. Do any of those frame strength kits really work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
You had a 3X rollover at speed. No manufacturer's frame is going to come out of it unscathed. Any rollover brings damage, you have to understand that.

Best thing is to come up with a path forward. Try to get a 21, see how long it takes. Or you could wait longer for a better 22 frame. If you plan on waiting, the 22 is probably your best option.
I hear you, just seems odd that only the frame had major damage. Lol. Guess I just got lucky the rest is intact. For the record, not sure how many times I rolled, it was a bit hectic in there. I do know I landed 54 feet from the tree so I guess that’s a pretty nasty incident either way. Nothing to do now but joke about it. Keeps me from crying. 😜

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Yeah, I’m working on the new frame and already in the process of selling both sets of rims and the one good set of tires. My mechanics, who is a close friend of my buddy apparently has been ripping apart and rebuilding these, and all other ATVs since he was a kid and use to race for Honda, I believe. He says he will make sure it is outfitted for what I plan to use it for. I am wondering if I sure ask him to beef up the new frame, seems like the time to do it. Do any of those frame strength kits really work?
Research a little around here and you will find a few full frame builds. I for one did it a couple years ago and now my frame is super strong and so much that i can feel it in the steering, especially when i boxed in the front shock tower.

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
I hear you, just seems odd that only the frame had major damage. Lol. Guess I just got lucky the rest is intact. For the record, not sure how many times I rolled, it was a bit hectic in there. I do know I landed 54 feet from the tree so I guess that’s a pretty nasty incident either way. Nothing to do now but joke about it. Keeps me from crying. 😜
Happens. You weren't hurt. If you had insurance ( and after it gets fixed, get some), you'd either pay a $500 deductible, or they would total it and give you the money for a new car.

Reactions: Dubes14

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Happens. You weren't hurt. If you had insurance ( and after it gets fixed, get some), you'd either pay a $500 deductible, or they would total it and give you the money for a new car.
I have some bad bruises on my back and shoulder from slamming into the driver side door, I think, and my left knee is scrapped from mashing through the dashboard but nothing serious thank god. Could have been way worse. Insurance for sure next time.

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
I have some bad bruises on my back and shoulder from slamming into the driver side door, I think, and my left knee is scrapped from mashing through the dashboard but nothing serious thank god. Could have been way worse. Insurance for sure next time.
Hey seriously, you know what you need, cause I don't see them, harnesses! Get yourself 2 sets as you put her back together.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts