Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thats a whole 'nother level of car you're getting into with an aftermarket chassis. Way more $ and way more skill involved. And depending on where you live can make it more of a PITA.

My vote is stock cage with aftermarket kits welded in for reinforcement.

I don't think you need a racecar chassis because you may smash a tree again someday.
No for sure don’t want a race car chassis. Thought maybe there were some beefy ones though. Seems like everyone keeps saying the stock ones are garbage. I guess it should be fine. I don’t plan to do anything crazy so as my driving skills improve, I should be ok. Lol

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
No for sure don’t want a race car chassis. Thought maybe there were some beefy ones though. Seems like everyone keeps saying the stock ones are garbage. I guess it should be fine. I don’t plan to do anything crazy so as my driving skills improve, I should be ok. Lol
Nice avatar!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Making light of the situation (if possible), use the last pic as your avatar, and enter it in the MOTM contest.
Doesn’t look like they do the contest anymore but I did make it my avatar for now. Hope to have it right up at some point!

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Doesn’t look like they do the contest anymore but I did make it my avatar for now. Hope to have it right up at some point!
Contest is going on right now. Still time to enter.

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Here's the link.

Reactions: Dubes14

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Why oh why, would you run tires like that on a SxS??? Probably didn't help you any.
While I agree with you, he bought it used. Probably the tires it came with, and you know everybody just wants to jump in and drive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Why oh why, would you run tires like that on a SxS??? Probably didn't help you any.
I bought it used and it came with those and 37" motohavoks which I was told would snap my axles. It actually handled really well but I just driving on a gravel trail. it was my panic and driving skills that did it. lol but yes, if I can get it fixe3d I plan to change the tires among other things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Buy just a frame and move all your parts over. A frame might run you $2-3K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is the plan right now. Any special equipment needed to pull the motor and trans? Like hoist? I have no clue how much they weigh but I'm thinking most could be pulled by hand, no?

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
I think that is the plan right now. Any special equipment needed to pull the motor and trans? Like hoist? I have no clue how much they weigh but I'm thinking most could be pulled by hand, no?
A friend is the only "special equipment" you'll need, LOL. More hands, less work.

Reactions: BLR and Dubes14

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
A little late to the game but.....welcome from NW Oregon.

Yes these "muffler tube" frames tend to crack/ break on the side of the weld. The already weak material is further weakend by the welding process, the weld itself is much stronger than the material surrounding it.

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
A little late to the game but.....welcome from NW Oregon.

Yes these "muffler tube" frames tend to crack/ break on the side of the weld. The already weak material is further weakend by the welding process, the weld itself is much stronger than the material surrounding it.
I don't agree that it's weak material.

I do not have a degree in metallurgy but I have done some research

The material is DP980 which is very strong. Auto makers use and some quite extensively.

The material is thin AND rigid that is why it cracks.

I suspect the new 2022 chassis being 30 percent thicker will be much better.

The steel is strong, it's just too thin and develops stress cracks because it does not bend.

The old DOM vs Chromo debate. One bends the other is strong and rigid.

JMHO.

Tim

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I don't agree that it's weak material.

I do not have a degree in metallurgy but I have done some research

The material is DP980 which is very strong. Auto makers use and some quite extensively.

The material is thin AND rigid that is why it cracks.

I suspect the new 2022 chassis being 30 percent thicker will be much better.

The steel is strong, it's just too thin and develops stress cracks because it does not bend.

The old DOM vs Chromo debate. One bends the other is strong and rigid.

JMHO.

Tim
Notice how the cracks follow the line of the weld, particularly in the heat-affected zone (or HAZ) when welding at high temperatures. Weakening with welding is most common with cold-rolled steel.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts