Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find the cause of belt failures in the X3 here. I have a theory that it is not due to heat, but possible overshifting in the clutch at high rpm. I lost a belt at very high rpm and if you have lost one, please post speed and rpm if you know it. I think the primary, at high rpm, is still expanding and trying to pull on the belt when its bottomed out on the secondary, stretching it and snapping it. If that is the case, and if most are failing at high rpm and not exploding from heat, then maybe a spacer in the primary would extend belt life. So if you snapped or exploded a belt, what rpm and speed? Thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mine was at 700 miles. Going probably around 70 mph around 7800? Just off the top of my head. It was a while ago so I can't remember but I was flooring it down a powerline road.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Broke one at Glamis at 500 miles in 4 wheel drive, driving technical dunes with a lot of on and off throttle hard driving. Belt temps never exceeded 185. Belt snapped and wadded up in the cases locking up the wheels and breaking the inner case. Have an additional 800 miles on the new belt, no temps over 185 recorded, but all desert miles. Sand seems to be the only common denominator so far, but I've never seen the belt temp go high like in the RZR, so your theory of overshifting might be a good one.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am stage 2 evo. But I was not in the sand. Technical trail in moab. Thing is that I was even in low gear, but 8500 rpm and snap, not a grenade, but a snap. I am pretty positive my belt was barely warm.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Full throttle going downhill after coasting halfway. snapped at 200 miles stage 2 evo flash in sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
~75mph/8200rpm, belt grenaded into 5 million pieces. Flat hardpack road. 1300 miles. Evo Stage 1 and stock tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
We've been chasing this same issue on sleds for years. My experience has been that revving over 8k leads to earlier belt failure without regard to heat. I don't think belts are able to handle the speed making the turn around the secondary clutch at those higher RPMs. I used to run my sleds at 82-8300 and went thru belts. Now I clutch for 7900 and my sleds pull harder and the belts last about 3 times longer. I run my maverick at 7900 too using my Team clutch with adjustable weights and it pulls hard and I'm on my third belt at 4000mi. One of the belts was totally my fault too...spanked it playing in deep snow all day.

Reactions: EX-IT-3 and mgrotel

·
Registered
454 Posts
So do belts snap/blow up on the race cars? Not seen much of the racer's complaining about short life belt failure. Some of the distances are 500+miles and I would think the belt temps get up there on the modified engines.... ??? Maybe ask some of the race teams what their take is on belt failure.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
So do belts snap/blow up on the race cars? Not seen much of the racer's complaining about short life belt failure. Some of the distances are 500+miles and I would think the belt temps get up there on the modified engines.... ??? Maybe ask some of the race teams what their take is on belt failure.
Racers dont talk about it. They have planned belt change out mileage and know how to drive a cvt car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmm this is interesting. I myself have not blown a belt yet. Only one trip to the sand and the rest has been desert riding, which is a lot of 40-60 mph. I guess I will have to pay attention when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Upshift and backshift force causing to break / tear?

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Sounds like a clutch guru is going to be making a lot of money.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts