Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay all, I need some help....
I have a 2014 Maverick 1000, 4 seat. Bought it used, but EXTREMELY well taken care of. Mild build, stock motor, stock exhaust, minus the cat delete pipe. Before I got it , it had never seen mud, used exclusively on sand.
I have had it for about 12-14 months now. I have now lost three belts! Belt had been changed when I bought it, PO had installed a Gates Power Sports belt. Made 1 trip to Little Sahara in Oklahoma, no problems. 3 weeks after getting home, my daughter was tootling around the neighborhood, and POW, belt shredded. So bad that is broke the outer cover....Replaced it with another gates belt. proper brake in procedures were followed. I also lightly resurfaced the clutches with scotch-brite pad.
Took it to Libertly and did some trail riding. No problems there. Took it back to Little Sahara over the weekend for a day trip. Belt lasted for about 2 hours of riding. POW! Exploded. Towed it back to camp, took it apart and cleaned out all of the old belt and installed the "spare" belt the PO left in the glove box. Good used Can Am belt, inspected it thoroughly. Took it back out for another hour or so of riding. Did great, back to camp for some dinner. Back out for one last ride. Made it about 100 yards out of the gate, POW! Second belt blows up! I'm just about done with this machine! Loaded it up while the rest of the group finished their ride.
Now, we did have 4 people in it, and I'm not a small guy and my wife is not "big", but she is not small either. Had two 16 year old kids in the back. Paddles on the rear, ribbed smoothies on the front.
If you have ever ridden in one with 4 people, the machine is working pretty hard in the sand.
I just want to know if this is something I can continue to expect?
I'v read this indicates a clutch problem of some sort?
The other guys in our group and riding Polaris RZR's and had no problems.
There was a general consensus among our group that the Gates belts pretty much suck and they have had problems with them just like this. They have all gone back to the Polaris belts and they recommended I go back to a Can Am belt.
So, I ordered an $130 Can Am belt to install.
I'm all ears and looking for advice and ideas. I'm really sick of this thing and now I don't trust it.......
Please, let me know your thoughts. I'm watching and waiting. It's not going out again until I get this problem solved! Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm currently running a Gates Carbon fiber belt with over 1,700 miles on it. Its Definitely Not your choice of belt. You have a serious clutch problem. Throwing multiple brands of belts at it wont solve that. you need to dig deeper and find the problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr. Ted. What am I looking for for a clutch problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would suggest that you make a phone call to the best Clutch Guy around, as far as for me! Adam at Airdamclutches.com, this guy can listen to your setup on the phone and tell you what is going on, yes he is that good!

The biggest problem is getting a holt of him! He works for a bunch of raceing teams and is also a one man show, just him and his wife run the business!

Email, call, do what you can to talk to him and he will help you! To me it sounds like you have a lot of power mods and with that you never updated/upgraded your clutches to hande the cat delete, flash, etc!

Adam will ask you a lot of questions about how you ride, etc and set you on the right path to happiness travels. If I got the website wrong just google it, he is also on FB, so you can try him there!

Dont give up trying to get him! Once you do you will understand what I am talking about!

let me know if you need anything else and I/we will try to send you in the right direction!

keep us posted and good luck! Goose out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Goose, I'll try to get a hold of him. You may be right about the upgrades and stock clutch setup. You couple that with the added weight of the "bigger" riders and it may be what's going on. I'll post here what he says after I talk to him. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diesel4Dad,
That is a good idea, I've actually been looking at them. Is it basically an air temp gauge that goes in the outlet air snorkel? That is what I am seeing.
we are also considering trading it off for a 2 seat Razer. We don't actually need 4 seats anymore. Maybe I can find someone to trade straight across. Someone who has a 2 seat, but needs a 4 seat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The temp gauge is mounted on the cover! You can put it anywhere you want, I have mine shooting the beam just before the belt gets to the Primary clutch! If you are looking to trade get on Facebook and there are a bunch of groups that have buy and sell, you might find a deal there! Good luck and keep us posted, we’ll try our best to help you on your adventure!

there are a lot of really great people on this board willing to help! Goose out

·
Registered
294 Posts
Diesel4Dad,
That is a good idea, I've actually been looking at them. Is it basically an air temp gauge that goes in the outlet air snorkel? That is what I am seeing.
we are also considering trading it off for a 2 seat Razer. We don't actually need 4 seats anymore. Maybe I can find someone to trade straight across. Someone who has a 2 seat, but needs a 4 seat.
The razorback gauge is not an air temperature gauge like all the others. It is a precise infrared devise that measures the temperature of the belt. Don't be fooled by the other gauges out there that call themselves anything other than a good guess.

Reactions: Mr Ted

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you running high gear all the time ? Im betting you are. I run low gear 90 % of the time back east in the woods. I go high gear on roads or along side railroad tracks and thats maybe 10%. My nose is my first line of defense to save my belt. last year I installed a Razorback IR temp gauge to monitor belt temp an I currently have 800 miles on my Maverick belt. The last belt that exploded was a Gates Carbon and it busted thru the CVT cover. After that expense I got the RBack guage and I run the Maverick belt and use a Gates for a spare. If you decide to get the RBack guage, get the one with the quick disconnect IR sensor. You wont be disapointed. I have to tell you that your clutch does need maintenance during belt change. Creck out youtube videos for tips

·
Registered
14 Posts
Offroadnut,
What we have here is a classic primary clutch issue. I am surprised that you have not snapped the stud that holds the primary clutch to the crank. My guess is that the load on the sand and the extra people in the car are forcing the two haves of the primary clutch to spin independently from one another. This will heat up the belt very quickly and it will make it break. To avoid this in the future, it will require you to upgrade your primary clutch to the 2015 XDS Turbo model. It is mechanically "locked" together so that the two sheaves cannot spin on each other. The original design was a bad one and thus, you blow the belts. You need to follow the thread on the Turbo Primary Clutch on an XRS and you will get all your answers. Sorry man, been there done it and ended up with a snapped stud. Now I have the XDS primary parts (Inner Sheave and Governor Cup) and its a beautiful thing! belt temps are low and clutch bite is sweet. I kept the stock oneway bearing and still have engine braking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm wondering if you have an alignment issue. You can get an alignment tool pretty cheap, or better yet take it to a clutch guy and he will probably figure it right out.

Okay all, I need some help....
I have a 2014 Maverick 1000, 4 seat. Bought it used, but EXTREMELY well taken care of. Mild build, stock motor, stock exhaust, minus the cat delete pipe. Before I got it , it had never seen mud, used exclusively on sand.
I have had it for about 12-14 months now. I have now lost three belts! Belt had been changed when I bought it, PO had installed a Gates Power Sports belt. Made 1 trip to Little Sahara in Oklahoma, no problems. 3 weeks after getting home, my daughter was tootling around the neighborhood, and POW, belt shredded. So bad that is broke the outer cover....Replaced it with another gates belt. proper brake in procedures were followed. I also lightly resurfaced the clutches with scotch-brite pad.
Took it to Libertly and did some trail riding. No problems there. Took it back to Little Sahara over the weekend for a day trip. Belt lasted for about 2 hours of riding. POW! Exploded. Towed it back to camp, took it apart and cleaned out all of the old belt and installed the "spare" belt the PO left in the glove box. Good used Can Am belt, inspected it thoroughly. Took it back out for another hour or so of riding. Did great, back to camp for some dinner. Back out for one last ride. Made it about 100 yards out of the gate, POW! Second belt blows up! I'm just about done with this machine! Loaded it up while the rest of the group finished their ride.
Now, we did have 4 people in it, and I'm not a small guy and my wife is not "big", but she is not small either. Had two 16 year old kids in the back. Paddles on the rear, ribbed smoothies on the front.
If you have ever ridden in one with 4 people, the machine is working pretty hard in the sand.
I just want to know if this is something I can continue to expect?
I'v read this indicates a clutch problem of some sort?
The other guys in our group and riding Polaris RZR's and had no problems.
There was a general consensus among our group that the Gates belts pretty much suck and they have had problems with them just like this. They have all gone back to the Polaris belts and they recommended I go back to a Can Am belt.
So, I ordered an $130 Can Am belt to install.
I'm all ears and looking for advice and ideas. I'm really sick of this thing and now I don't trust it.......
Please, let me know your thoughts. I'm watching and waiting. It's not going out again until I get this problem solved! Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I would also recommend some Skat Trak paddles front and rear. That will help the car work a little easier in the sand also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Offroadnut,
What we have here is a classic primary clutch issue. I am surprised that you have not snapped the stud that holds the primary clutch to the crank. My guess is that the load on the sand and the extra people in the car are forcing the two haves of the primary clutch to spin independently from one another. This will heat up the belt very quickly and it will make it break. To avoid this in the future, it will require you to upgrade your primary clutch to the 2015 XDS Turbo model. It is mechanically "locked" together so that the two sheaves cannot spin on each other. The original design was a bad one and thus, you blow the belts. You need to follow the thread on the Turbo Primary Clutch on an XRS and you will get all your answers. Sorry man, been there done it and ended up with a snapped stud. Now I have the XDS primary parts (Inner Sheave and Governor Cup) and its a beautiful thing! belt temps are low and clutch bite is sweet. I kept the stock oneway bearing and still have engine braking.
Thanks for the post. I didn’t know they locked the inner and outer sheaves on the primary. Was this only on the 15 Turbo ? My 15 Non Turbo has the stock clutch and this has me thinking ....

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I would also recommend some Skat Trak paddles front and rear. That will help the car work a little easier in the sand also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I see what you did there! Kudos, LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts