Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea so been absolutely beating on the car for 1400 miles. Pretty much never take it out of 4wd, it’s been flawless. And just about ready for a service. I took a buddy out and we did about 85 miles of typical whooped out so cal desert. And on my way home on some hard pack I rolled into the throttle crossing an intersection and the front just started grinding. Or something gave up in the output to the front because switching it in 2wd it does not make those awesome sounds.. it’s under warranty thank god.. taking it in this week. It’s a 22 smart shox so it has the same lok. Not sure what let go but we’re gonna find out. Thankfully my cousin is the svc manager.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Yea so been absolutely beating on the car for 1400 miles. Pretty much never take it out of 4wd, it’s been flawless. And just about ready for a service. I took a buddy out and we did about 85 miles of typical whooped out so cal desert. And on my way home on some hard pack I rolled into the throttle crossing an intersection and the front just started grinding. Or something gave up in the output to the front because switching it in 2wd it does not make those awesome sounds.. it’s under warranty thank god.. taking it in this week. It’s a 22 smart shox so it has the same lok. Not sure what let go but we’re gonna find out. Thankfully my cousin is the svc manager.
Be interested to know what let go.

In 2017 there were some diff issues but it seems much less common now.

Tim

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a similar issue. It was my front carrier bearing rattling up against the lower cross tube. Easy check.
pull a side panel that covers the center console in the footwell. See if there is evidence of contact between the u-joint and the cross tube.
My carrier bearing looked as if it was pushed aft showing unequal displacement of the rubber donut supporting the bearing.
I replaced my bearing but it looks as if loosening the bolt holding the splines on the drive shaft and adjusting the shaft placement to restore the carrier bearing to it’s normal position would have fixed the problem.

Normal carrier bearing,
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

Abby normal carrier bearing
Water Glove Safety glove Fluid Finger

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya so I guess there wasn’t anything wrong, I went to move it the other day and it made zero noise, so I drove it around and tried to make it do that same thing again and I could not reproduce the problem. Shocks me.. the only thing I think it could have been at this point is maybe it was not in 4wd completely?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ya so I guess there wasn’t anything wrong, I went to move it the other day and it made zero noise, so I drove it around and tried to make it do that same thing again and I could not reproduce the problem. Shocks me.. the only thing I think it could have been at this point is maybe it was not in 4wd completely?
Check that carrier bearing (you have to take it out to check it right- don't be lazy and turn a shaft and call it ok). I've had them make noise for awhile and then quit making noise. If you're in the mud/water often, 1,400 is about normal life expectancy from our experience. X3- 3 has the most miles on it, but here's the approximate miles we had to replace the carriers.

X3-1 1,100 miles
X3-2 1,700 miles
X3-3 700, 2,100, and 3,300 miles

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
I went for a 5 mile ride but I intent to go thrash on it this weekend and see if it comes back.
I never ride in the wet or mud, nor has it ever been. Only desert. But I will give the carrier bearing a look.
I had these exact same conditions that came and then would go away after I put it in 2Wheel drive. I couldn't figure it out until it finally showed itself punching a hole in my wheel and now it makes complete sense. What happened to me is the brake caliber bracket bolt came out and allowed the caliber to hit the wheel that makes that grinding noise that feels like gears grinding. When I would stop to put it into 2wheel the brake caliber would be sucked away from the rim and all noises would go away. Going up hills with whoops would cause the caliber to vibrate into the wheel. This is why I couldn't see anything when I did my inspection as it would all be in the correct place upon stopping.

Reactions: 10mm_

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Yep that was nothing I would have expected, as those are normally just floating around under the back seats. lol

Reactions: FortifySteve

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You are not gonna believe what it was lol!!! A fucking Coors light can got stuck up in the front diff area and was floating around and occasionally would get stuck. Omfg I’m so glad it wasn’t serious lol!
HAHAHAHA Been there with "funny noises".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts