Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent owned an actual brand new "bike" in years. Always something already "broke in". So Is the break in period as important as the dealer said, or does the old saying "break it in like your gonna ride it" hold true?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No be easy on the belt for first 30 miles you have to break a new belt in. As far as engine i did what they said cause of warrenty. But ive built alot of 2 strokes and 4 sroke motors. I heat cycle them to get the rings to seat properly. Then i tear it up.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Potato vs Patatoe. heat cycle the engine a few times, Don't over heat the belt for the first couple hrs, then drive the crap out of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well ive a done a sort of mix between both...gonna see how it does in the mud today.... Been pouring here all day but that wont keep me off it!! Thanks for the link Andy!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've never broke in a belt and blow a ton. So maybe that's my problem I went to silver lake sand dunes even after my clutch update was done. was there for 3 days and blew a belt a day. No complaints tho it gets piss pounded everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yeah...you might want to try breaking in the belts (much cheaper that way). I been duning all season on the same belt that has about 1000 miles on it with no intention of replacing it anytime soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was at about 9 hours on my break in, out on some old dirt roads, stop at a stop sign, hit the gas, rpms climb and the mav barely moves. I heard a very brief metal clanging and a burst of belt smoke. Thought i blew my belt..... Called a buddy to come pick us up, got it home to change the belt, and these are pics of the CVT cover with the bolt pushed all the way thru it. So, Im assuming that this is the recalled clutch bolt? I called my dealer and he assured me the recall was performed and said they had records of it..... They are going to come pick it up tmrw, and assured me they will take care of it with no cost to me....anyone else have this happen to them After the recall had been performed??

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
That is the Secondary Clutch that backed out. Clutch update is on the Primary. Looks like someone didn't properly torque down the secondary clutch bolt?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
if they also did the starter recall, they have to pull the secondary and install a new mounting bolt and use blue loctite and torque to spec and sit overnight before releasing it to the customer.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts