Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm a break in mode? I took my Maverick out today for the first ride, and when I first took off I wasn't too impressed, it felt slower than my Commander, but definitely stronger off the bottom. I did have a Dalton clutch kit in the Commander, so I thought maybe it was that. Then after a little longer in the ride, it came alive, it started pulling a lot higher RPM and revved out much better. Ski-Doo sleds have a time release break in mode, does the maverick have the same? If so will it get better once you hit 10 hours or 300 miles? That's the other thing I've heard. I never noticed it on my Commander.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i was gonna say try the other key, and in sport mode....i have had a dealer progran them backwards on my commander, grey key was really the fast one, when it should have been the black one.. try the other key regardless of colors, and be in sport mode

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
i think he has it right on the key and sport mode, he's wondering if the computer is programmed for less HP before 10 hours or something, i did hear something like that but can not confirm it !

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I used the right key. I'm not talking like it's a slouch, I just meant the more I rode it, the faster it was. It gained some RPM also. I think there is a break in mode in the PCM.

This is from the 2014 ski Doo sled info: Gauges on models equipped with E-TEC engines and the premium gauge have an LCD display indicating the percentage of new engine break-in completed. LCD also indicates “OVER REV” when the sled is limiting the rpm to protect itself.

I will call my dealer and ask.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mine hauled ass from the beginning. No changes what so ever.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It is possible that you got better performance once your belt got broken in.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i talked to one of the race dept engineers once about their engines doing this, this was a while back, so i am going off memory here but he said something like this

"these engines are built so tight from manufacturing, that some do take some time to break in and they get stronger after about 10 hours"

i have noticed in the past, with some machines, some can be animals straight out of the crate, and some do take a little aging to gain their full potential. when i tune a clutch on a bike, i can tell exactly how much power it is making by the amount of weight it takes in the primary to pull RPM. when i get brand new bikes off the showroom floor, some take much more weight that others. some are way off the wall and backwards. i cant say for certain if there is an actual break in period programmed into the ECU, but i have heard many many people say that around 10 hours on the engine, it starts pulling harder and stronger and picks up RPM. so you may be right.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Mines ran like a scalded dog from day one!
No complaints here with out of the box power.... Maybe just a little tighter than another? Glad it is loosening up and letting go a bit for you!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rotax motors are notorious for being tight from the factory, same thing we have here with the Spyders and the 1000 motor but customers usually complain about MPG being shit when they are new, our demo did under 20mpg when it first came out the crate but with 1500 easy (yeah right) miles with everybody and their dog driving it its now getting a healthy 30 + mpg

give it time and all these units will be different, mine has 10 hours on it i spent 2 hours with the "friend" key in it to stop me from being an idiot (like that's all it takes) yet yesterday it seemed to rev faster and the rear end was easier to break away for tighter corners and i know with years of racing rotax engines in our aprilias its the same story with them on the dyno back in the day

hang in there and start smiling

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Mine did too, only 56 mph, taking it back Saturday!
I was expecting at least 75 mph. Also noticed maintenance soon code came up
From the start, reset, but have not tried again, it's raining.
This thing better not be a pig after waiting all this time

·
Registered
128 Posts
Put more hours on the motor but honestly sounds like you got on it too soon and the belts already worn if that's all it will do. You guys gotta learn to let your belts warm up before you start beating on it! It just wears them out prematurely and makes the unit slower top speeds. Think of it this way the thinner the belt is the slower the unit will go and every time you drive under 10mph in high or beat on it before the belt is warm the more of the belt you wear away!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine ran 75 mph, I wasnt s aying it didn't have any power, I just meant it got better with a little time.. The dealer said til I get ten hours on it that it will not reach maximum power.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
not even a mile on it, no way the belt was hurt, warmed up and did 3 runs in high, 1 run in low, 1 in 4x4. rpms were low

·
Registered
128 Posts
not even a mile on it, no way the belt was hurt, warmed up and did 3 runs in high, 1 run in low, 1 in 4x4. rpms were low
seriously thought all it takes is one or two hard starts from dead cold (you can warm the motor all you want the trans etc is still cold) and you will mess a belt up, usual way to tell is reduced top speed or at max revs its keeps hittin the limiter then going ok then hits the limiter, not saying that's what you did just mentioning it for people to reference in the future

1 - 18 of 18 Posts